Hello !

Dimisul6

hello there,

I'm currently looking for a rs250, reading articles and drooling over pictures for a while has officially gotten to me.

I'm coming from a volvo c30 t5 r which is a great car but is lacking a few things and is time to move on !
i just want to know what to look out for when looking for a rs250 before buying one ?

i don't want to rush into things id like some advice and unlike the volvo community this forum has a lot of members and reading through some threads some seem very knowledgable when it comes to the renaults 

so if any one can help me out id appreciate it a lot cheers !  

:)

Hi Dimisul6

Welcome to the forum.  Great choice of prospective car you have chosen.  There are lots of members of this forum with Megs, and plenty of experience in everything you should look out for.  I am certain you will get great advice, and then find a great bunch of folks to stay in touch with.  

There are many members in Melbourne, plus some very good resources in Melbourne to look after your prize once you take delivery of her.

I imagine one of the first things to consider is to what extent, if any, you will be seeking to modify the car, and what sort of use you propose for the vehicle.  If you are a track day fiend, you may well find a very good RS250 which has plenty of tasty bits already added, and has been well sorted already.  If, however, you are looking to enjoy the car for its natural capabilities, and are looking for a stock example, there are lots of tips on the forum what to look for in your chosen steed.

I expect there will be lots of responses to this thread, and maybe even a few examples for sale.  Have you searched on the "for sale" links to see what's about?  Lots of very well loved cars from owners on this forum, and a proud history of them passing through the hands of various members to remain in the ownership of those who appreciate the cars and how best to care for them.

Good luck in hyour search!

Hi Dimisul6

Welcome to the forum. Great choice of prospective car you have chosen. There are lots of members of this forum with Megs, and plenty of experience in everything you should look out for. I am certain you will get great advice, and then find a great bunch of folks to stay in touch with.

There are many members in Melbourne, plus some very good resources in Melbourne to look after your prize once you take delivery of her.

I imagine one of the first things to consider is to what extent, if any, you will be seeking to modify the car, and what sort of use you propose for the vehicle. If you are a track day fiend, you may well find a very good RS250 which has plenty of tasty bits already added, and has been well sorted already. If, however, you are looking to enjoy the car for its natural capabilities, and are looking for a stock example, there are lots of tips on the forum what to look for in your chosen steed.

I expect there will be lots of responses to this thread, and maybe even a few examples for sale. Have you searched on the "for sale" links to see what's about? Lots of very well loved cars from owners on this forum, and a proud history of them passing through the hands of various members to remain in the ownership of those who appreciate the cars and how best to care for them.

Good luck in hyour search!

Thanks for that !

I'm no track day fein but I do love the odd modification here and there

Have seen a few rs's with some mods and the first time I went in one I fell in love instantly

I would like to know about reliability ? Cars always have their dramas

What would I need to look out for when looking at Rs ?

I am looking at a used rs250 at the moment with pretty low ks

hello there,

I'm currently looking for a rs250, reading articles and drooling over pictures for a while has officially gotten to me.

I'm coming from a volvo c30 t5 r which is a great car but is lacking a few things and is time to move on !

i just want to know what to look out for when looking for a rs250 before buying one ?

i don't want to rush into things id like some advice and unlike the volvo community this forum has a lot of members and reading through some threads some seem very knowledgable when it comes to the renaults 

so if any one can help me out id appreciate it a lot cheers !  

:)

I did the same moved (from a C30 T5 R-Design). The C30 is a terrific car. All over the Megane in terms of quality and design...and of course...that 5 cylinder engine is a lovely unit. But the Megane kills it from a driving perspective.....and it even rides better than the Volvo, which manages to lack the Megane's initial compliance whilst not having anything like the Megane's chassis stiffness and sharpness. The Megane is quicker than the numbers suggest too.

Meganes seem to be reasonable in terms of reliability.  I had ZERO problems with my C30 during 3 years of ownership, a feat not quite matched by the Megane that suffered blown clutch slave cylinder (and dumped all of it's hydraulic fluid on Collins St in peak hour and I had to drive it home with no clutch). But that was the only problem I had in 3 years of Megane ownership.  Others seem to have had other clutch problems and there has been a recent thread on this in the Megane III section. Take a look. Haven't seen a lot of other reported issues. Engines & gearboxes seem solid.

Also, bear in mind that 250s will be knocking on 4 years of age now, and will be due for timing belt replacement which you'd be ill advised to skip (and will set you back around $1500). They have also likely eaten through their first set of discs which are not cheap to replace (check the lip on the discs!).  Also, the Meganes roadholding prowess comes partially as a result of expensive sticky rubber, and once you've driven one on Conti 5Ps, P-Zeros or Michelin PSS, you won't want to drive one on less capable rubber. Drive it hard regularly and you will easily eat a complete set every 15,000kms. You have been warned! LOL

A 250 remains a great 2nd hand buy though, and the 5% power deficit to the 265 is a chip away, and that (and a digital speedo and 4 extra DRLs) is the only real difference between a 250 and a 265. If you can stretch the bucks though, I'd go as new as your budget allows and see if you can get into a 265

Edited by RBH58

Okay,

So I went and looked at the megane I've been interested in and the owner gave me the privilege to let me test drive it and I fell in love haha

The power it puts down is unbelievable my c30 is tuned and what not but it does not come close to the driving experience in the megane I'm still smiling from yesterday

It has 30,800 kms on the dial the disc have a lip on it

And it's needs its 30,000 km service

But apart from that I made up my mind I'm going to purchase that machine cheers for the advice guys much appreciated!!!!

Another bitten by the bug!!!! Good to hear.... Enjoy! Sounds like a very nice car - photos ease when you have taken delivery... :)

Okay,

So I went and looked at the megane I've been interested in and the owner gave me the privilege to let me test drive it and I fell in love haha

The power it puts down is unbelievable my c30 is tuned and what not but it does not come close to the driving experience in the megane I'm still smiling from yesterday

It has 30,800 kms on the dial the disc have a lip on it

And it's needs its 30,000 km service

But apart from that I made up my mind I'm going to purchase that machine cheers for the advice guys much appreciated!!!!

If the lip is not too bad, you may get away with it.  Mine needed pads at 40,000 but I got away with the small amount of lip I had.

Yes....they are addictive. Just wait until you are used to it and really start to push it. I swear they defy the laws of physics.