Hiya

conr

Thought I'd pop in and say hi. Name is Con

I'm in the midst of getting into my first Renault. I am however at a toss up as to which one. It's between a Clio 200 Trophee, and a Megane 265 Trophee+. Both fantastic. One saves me $15k though, and I'm not sure it's $15k better!

I'm all about having an engaging dive, and I'm leaning towards the Clio. Throw in an Akra and I'm good to go!

I come from a VW background. Had a Scirocco R. Sold it after 8 months. Have been carless for a while....and jobless too haha. But now that I've employed again, I'm itching to get into something.

I will be tracking it, as I did my Roc.

Anyways, thought I'd say hi. First time in a Renault, so hoping to learn lots from you all. I'm big into the car modding scene.

Hey Con & welcome.

You honestly can't go wrong with either.

As you know both the Clio & Meg are designed with track use in mind.

The Clio is imo the more raw of the 2, though being NA it lacks the punch of the Meg & your Sirocco.

Then there is the upcoming ClioIV due here late 2013/early 2014 which is definitely aimed more towards the VW type of buyer (turbo/dual clutch box etc).

Hi con,

I've had both, and I've gotta say that the fun of a NA Clio 2.0 with an Akra Exhaust and a screaming Intake for me is so much more than what the turbo'd and more grown up megane can offer.

If I had my time again, I'd seriously consider a ripping little 200 cup. More character, more gallic flair, more raw. And starting at $34k, a runout bargain would be very hard to pass up. Only thing you miss out on is a turbo and Xenon headlights but you gain SO much more in character, and the sound of the things... :drool:

Not to mention, they are the last hurrah for their type forever and will be a classic.

Go the Clio :wink:

Thanks for the info all! Yeah it's a toss up. I've always driven turbo cars, so the Clio is a change for me. But chucking it in the bends, and revving the hell out if it....I must say its a crazy rush. The grip on it is truly incredible.

Xenon headlights and gimmicks don't mean much to me. I want to buy a car to drive, and be able to feel it every step of the way!

The next gen Clio is off my list unfortunately. No manual option means I won't consider it. I thought I might wait for the new 208 GTI, but I'm not reading the best feedback on it.

I'll be honest in that I'm leaning towards the Clio. I've managed to find a 2012 Red Bull edition for a good price. I would be taking off all the decals it has on it though haha. Not a fan!

Welcome Con!

Great choice on the Clio. It's the last of the NA hot hatches & best of the Clio 3 range. Enjoy!

The Clio 3 is hardcore! I've driven nearly all the RS models over the years, but my advice is to really think about what your going to use it for. I love my car but it it can be quite tiring around town and they are noisy on our coa*** chip highways.

I'm a big fan of the RS265 and they are a much better daily driver, even on the 19's the 265's ride is a lot more compliant than my 200 on 18's / RE050 (same as the Red Bull's).

My thoughts are if your after a daily driver go the 265 as a Clio may do your head in after a few months. If your after a slightly mental old school hot hatch....Clio is the answer!

The Clio 3 is hardcore! I've driven nearly all the RS models over the years, but my advice is to really think about what your going to use it for. I love my car but it it can be quite tiring around town and they are noisy on our coa*** chip highways.

I'm a big fan of the RS265 and they are a much better daily driver, even on the 19's the 265's ride is a lot more compliant than my 200 on 18's / RE050 (same as the Red Bull's).

My thoughts are if your after a daily driver go the 265 as a Clio may do your head in after a few months. If your after a slightly mental old school hot hatch....Clio is the answer!

I hear ya. Don't get me wrong I like the 265 as well. But it just seems too....easy. Point it where you want, mash the pedal, and it obeys. Nothing wrong with that, but it does get boring after a bit.

I had a Scirocco R up until 3 months ago. Sold it as I got tired of it. Fast.

• 1 month later...

I had a Scirocco R up until 3 months ago. Sold it as I got tired of it. Fast.

What was it about the Scirocco R that you didn't like? Something must have really been annoying you to sell after only 3 months.

I was considering one when I got the 265, I thought the Scirocco was pretty damn good! The 265 was better of course.

oh sorry read you had it 8 months. Still, not long I guess.

So was it some sort of ECU fault? DSG? Warranty couldn't sort it out?

Did you like the car other than that issue?

For street use only, Megane. For track, Clio. Seeing as you want to track it. Then Clio ! Will be cheaper to maintain in the long term. Its also a more involved drive, which you stated is important to you. It ticks all the boxes, and you seem to have just about made up your mind anyways.

Red Bull Clio is the best looking Clio ever made IMO. If I had 35-40k to throw into a car today. Its a Clio all day for me. It will give you wings :wink:

For street use only, Megane. For track, Clio. Seeing as you want to track it. Then Clio ! Will be cheaper to maintain in the long term. Its also a more involved drive, which you stated is important to you. It ticks all the boxes, and you seem to have just about made up your mind anyways.

Red Bull Clio is the best looking Clio ever made IMO. If I had 35-40k to throw into a car today. Its a Clio all day for me. It will give you wings :wink:

+1

Dud did an amazing job on that car. Exceptional continuity.