New Black RS250 in Melbourne

bozz

Hi all,

Another shiny new RS250 is out and about in Melbourne, and I'm more than happy to say "IT"S MINE!!!"

"IT" is a Star Black Megane 250 Cup Trophée with leather, xenons, sensors, 19"s, and black seatbelts - this package was sitting at the dealership begging to be taken to a good home and then out for many drives, and I wasn't about to say "No"!

My history of cars is somewhat varied as you can see in the list below.

My first car, the wonderful and timeless 124 Sport CC, spoilt me forever in terms of what I expect from a car and a driving experience.

Sadly (for me) I sold it for a few hundred bucks to FiatParts (circa 1989) as I had no way to fix it after part of the steering assembly sheared away from the firewall as I pulled into my driveway after a weekend of “driving†on the Great Ocean Road!

(btw, they restored it and brought it round to my place a few months later just to make me jealous!)

From there, a mix of cars that delivered practicality (when needed) and fun (when I could afford it). The Bimmer was obviously the pick of the bunch, until 8 days ago!

I’ve been searching for a new car for the last 4 years (a TS Astra will do that do a person!). Unfortunately there has been nothing around that ticked enough boxes.

Then, about 4 weeks ago, I saw a white something with great lines, and a central exhaust on LaTrobe St in Melbourne. I was walking, it was driving away from me up the hill, but luckily just close enough to see a diamond-shaped emblem.

A quick walk back to the office and a few clicks in Google and I had met my new ride. I’d already planned to have the next week off, so a trip to the dealer on Monday resulted in a suburban test-drive of the dealer's test car, and a booking for an extended test-drive on Wednesday. Wednesday comes - over to Warrandyte & Eltham (I love Mt Pleasant Rd on a dry day) to compare this against my other cars.

No comparison.

Even though I don’t know how to get the best out of this vehicle yet, I (& “ITâ€) was sold.

Finance took a few days longer than I’d have liked, but I finally picked up my (yet to be named) beauty just over a week later (now 8 days ago).

She’s booked in for her 1K check-up and oil change on Monday, and I’m looking forward to “going a little harder†next weekend.

Sorry, no photo’s yet – planning to get some tomorrow and will post when possible.

I’m not planning any mods yet, but have had some tips re reducing maintenance costs (e.g pads/rotors) so look forward to exchanging notes.

Looking forward to meeting and learning more via drive and track days, etc.

So, Au Revoir,

& Cheers!

bozz

Vehicle history:

RENAULTsport Megane 250 Cup Trophée (2011 2.0l tt coupe leather, xenons, sensors)

Holden Astra TS Equipe (2005 1.8l 5 door)

Daewoo Lanos Sport (2000 1.6l 3 door auto)

Holden Commodore VH (1984 3.3l wagon)

BMW 323i (1984 E30 coupe)

Alfa Sprint (198? 1.5l coupe)

Holden Commodore VH (1983 3.3l wagon)

Fiat 124 Sport CC (1974 CC1 1756cc coupe)

Ah! Welcome mate, serge told me someone had bought a black one off of him. See you round. Dan

Hi all,

Thanks for the welcomes!

Sorry, no pics yet. Forgot the good camera today, and the grey skies and drizzle really didn't inspire good shots anyway.

Review for the first 970 kays - AWESOME!

Been taking it easy of course :wink: , but I can tell there is plenty more go, and fun, to be had!

I'll follow up with pics and more details soon.

1000k checkup tomorrow, and I'm good to GO.

Cheers,

bozz

Great read, thanks bozz!

Welcome to the addiction... I suspect it will take you some months to plumb the depth of talent available from the chassis. Enjoy the journey!

Welcome aboard, and VERY nice pick up indeed.

Black and fully loaded - nice!!

Looking forward to pics (nice background helps the Wallpaper worthy pics)

and any reports.

Cheers, enjoy, and see you around the forum.

WOLF

Great read, thanks bozz!

Welcome to the addiction... I suspect it will take you some months to plumb the depth of talent available from the chassis. Enjoy the journey!

Thanks @griffyn!

I know you're right! I'm wise enough to "know what I don't know", so while I know I'm a good driver, I also know how far I've got to go.

I bought this "car" as much for the track days as the bluetooth (lol, just for the track days really!!! :P )

I also bought it knowing I'll spend some time and money on training, learning, and most of all, enjoying!

Look forward to continuing involvement in what so far has been a great forum!

Cheers,

bozz

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again,

Not quite sure where to post ongoing reports & pics - could someone please let me know if it shouldn't be here?

In the mean time, I've created my vehicle in the "Garage" and included the only half-decent photo I've been able to get so far.

I'm noticing a slightly more "throaty" note coming from the exhaust after 1200 k's. Not sure if it's because I'm finding the rev ranges better, or if the running-in process is putting cherries on the icing on the cake!

If the great weather we're having in Melbourne stays until Saturday, I'll hopefully post a fuller review (anyone up for a drive on Saturday arvo?) and some decent pics on Sunday.

Cheers,

bozz

Here's fine, unless you want to start a thread in "Members Rides".

Would be great to see you on Thursday... :wink:

Thursday? I'm obviously not checking the right threads! I might be able to do something Thursday - are there details available elsewhere?

I'm not planning many mods (yet) but am a keen photographer so will start a new thread in "Members Rides" - thanks griffyn.

Welcome bozz! Great intro and looking forward to some pics!

Enjoy 8)

Head over to the social events section in the forum. Mid week hot hatch meet over in docklands, would be good to see it although ive spent a while lookin at yours in the GWS showroom in anticipation for mine to arrive...

Thanks BenG, and griffin for the PM with the details as well.

BenG, you would have to go a few kms south to have seen mine at Waverley Renault on Springvale Rd until just under 4 weeks ago.

Happy to recommend Adam and the team (but understand that's for a different thread).

Having said that, the one you've been looking at won't be a whole lot different!

Strangely, while I see at least 27 Golfs on my commute each day, I still haven't seen another RS250 :rofl: I haven't driven behind mine (my wife can't drive a manual :cry: ) or had any chance to view it on the road!

Looking forward to tomorrow!

Cheers,

bozz

BenG, you would have to go a few kms south to have seen mine at Waverley Renault on Springvale Rd until just under 4 weeks ago.

Happy to recommend Adam and the team (but understand that's for a different thread).

Oh so you were the one that bought Adam's black Trophee! Happy to hear someone's bought one from there other than myself. In fact it was the very car, in its stunning blackness, that I used to convince the parents that it was a wise choice for a uni student to spend all his savings on a new car. You would've collected it around the time I got mine which was Friday 8th July from memory.

You'll like their new Service Department there. The service manager seems to be very keen on cars that pass through his workshop so you know you're in good hands. Very happy with them so far and recommend them as well. If you ask them, I'm probably referred to as the 'impatient and annoying kid' lol.

This machine just keeps on raising it's own bar for me!

I've been pretty soft on it most of the time (daily commute, little weeknight driving), interspersed with a few good runs to the hills and back on weekends.

Around 1700kms on the dial and I'm feeling pretty comfortable with how it's working. While I've had the obligatory fiddle around with the RS Monitor pedal mappings I've left it pretty much alone, until today!

The route was nothing special, just the daily commute up the Monash freeway to the city and back in the shoulders of the peak hours.

But. What a commute!

In "Sport" it is a different vehicle. It was shouting "Please Sir, I want some more!" I'm about to start calling it "Oliver" :lol:

"Extreme" is just that, and would have been ridiculous in the traffic I was in. (I'll have to drive home later tomorrow!)

In "Sport" the aggression is much closer (literally) but also manageable in stop-start Flinders St traffic. Maybe this should be the default mode at startup?!?!

Oh yeah, the rev limit warning buzzer isn't broken :wink::wink:

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

A plan, over a decade in the making, is about to come to fruition - I'm moving North!

My wife & I have planned to move to SE QLD since before we met (really!), and now the opportunity to transfer to Brisvegas with my company has come up, we're off!

So, we'll be living over an hour south of Brisbane and I'll be "enjoying" more time in my gorgeous RS250.

WOLF, I might be after some tyres, servicing, brake pads, rotors, etc. etc. as I could be doing over 200km per day! A service every 3 months? - oh dear!

Then of course there will be some weekend drives. I was up there (Gold Coast Hinterland) a couple of weeks ago in a rented Conformadore SV6 and I've chosen some roads for the RS that will further justify my crazy weekday commute (and probably also finish off the CSC5Ps!).

(off topic - I drove an SV6 (manual) about 2 years ago and thought it was pretty great. I drove this rented (auto) one around 800kms of great twisty roads and could never consider buying one. Great comfortable car on highways and rubbish straight roads. Awful in the hills. The auto gearbox just doesn't know what to do! Changing up (or sometimes down) mid-corner on 30km bends that I was already doing 50 through - the whole thing changes shape mid-corner and the exit angle is nothing like what was planned! And yes, I was using the "Sport" mode of auto.)

I'd love to catch up with other Melbourne RSers before the end of October. I would do this at the Nationals, but you can see why I'm not going (this year) :(

I've mentioned the move to a couple of others, and thought I'd try to kick-off another mid-week meet. However, since I'm flat out at work, moving states, trying to sell another car (anyone want a 2005 TS Astra?), etc. I'll declare right now that I can't be the organiser!

If anyone is up for arranging something, that'd be great. Otherwise there might be a very short notice meet up (drive day?) in late-Oct in the Eastern Suburbs.

After that, I'll be looking for Brisbane (and further south) drives!

Cheers,

bozz