Old member here to say hi

hi all,

I've been reading posts on here for awhile, weighing up options, checking out photo's, tech info and the like.

i'm 35 and looking for a french performance hatch. I'll try to explain my delimma without embarrasing (?) myself.

:popcorn: Here comes the story....

I drive a SWB V6 Mitsubishi Pajero with a drinking problem at present. Basically, I'm looking at anything with the word 'cup' in the title.

So as not to waste anyones time, if you could point me in the direction of an archived thread, or a site with comparison details, I would be most grateful.

Looking at Clio or Megane or (ready to duck?!), 206 GTi 180. My heart says 3 dr Meg 225 Cup, but I can't find one with black wheels, (only the F1) and don't won't to break $30k. Head says that pound for pound the Clio will still put a big grin on my face and get me out with the local Brissy RS boys. Kilowatt output b/n Clio & Pug GTi 180 is minimal, (or is it??). The Meg 225 4 door looks great, are there down sides to an extra 2 drs? I may have to compromise... The 206 seems to sit a little high and from all reports dosen't have the oomph that the Clio has.

I'm only a noob to the RS world having own a bog standard Pug 306 2 door in the past. this was the car that got me hooked on great handling european hatches, specifically french.

My sincere apologies if this is a repeated question. As I said, just point my in the right direction and I'll head that way, I'm not trying to waste anyones time. Cheers,

My heart says 3 dr Meg 225 Cup, but I can't find one with black wheels, (only the F1) and don't won't to break $30k.

And you won't find one! The only 3-dr 225 Cups are the F1. The R26 is also a 3-dr Cup, but over $30k.

Head says that pound for pound the Clio will still put a big grin on my face and get me out with the local Brissy RS boys.

Yes it will. The Meggy is a whole lot more civilised & has the edge with turbo grunt. But the Clio's steering feel is better & you'll get addicted to the 5k rpm kick 8)

Kilowatt output b/n Clio & Pug GTi 180 is minimal, (or is it??).

182 - 131kW / 200nM

GTi 180 - 130kW / 202nM

The Meg 225 4 door looks great, are there down sides to an extra 2 drs?

Downsides? You don't get the great-looking curved rear 3/4 window. Umm... Any thing else Dom/Dave? (Both have owned a phI 225 Cup 5-dr & have now got phII R26 3-dr)

Basically, I'm looking at anything with the word 'cup' in the title

The GTi 180 doesn't have this so don't worry about them :mrgreen:

there is 3 225 F1 teams on for sale on carsales atm between 30-32k. You would get both of these for under your 30k figure.

you can also get a PhII 225 Cup (5 Door) with around 20-30k no the clock for the 30k you mentioned.

A good decent 182 cup will be on for 20-23, probably pick it up for 20k.

Depends on what you want.

Cio: Raw, more involving, wring its neck fun, driven well can keep close to a meggy (non R26)

Meggy: More civilised, faster in a straight line, turbo rush, RS Tuner makes it go :twisted: its rear end :drool:

welcome back mate,

the clio and meggy are 2 very different cars - you wouldn't even know they were from the same company driving them back to back.

i guess it really comes down to what your after - are you after an easy city cruiser with the ability to take on urban trips without a breeze, but also the ability to turn into a monster when you demand it? if so, then the meggy is the car - it is so much more refined than the clio - easy to drive, quite, smooth, effortless and roomier - also highway trips are much quieter and easier. The meggy is also faster, no doubt about it.

if you want something that feels alive everytime you start it up, screaming at you all the time to drive the nuts off it, then the clio is the car - for city driving, the meggy is much much better imo, more torque and smoother. But the clio is very fun to drive, and when it opens up, it really does produce a nice induction roar, the car is rough, loud and raw compared to the meggy - gearbox and clutch is heavier in the clio, but provides better feel imo. The clio you can feel it is alive when its started, sometimes the meggy is so quite u have to look at the rev meter to see if the car is actually on!

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with the above. You can decide what your style is, and what you want out of it... but my vote for you leans on the 182 (cup if you can). Some reasons:

- about 10k cheaper, that's a lot of savings or better yet, play money for tuning your ride.

- having said that, cheaper to tune

- cheaper on petrol

- cheaper on insurance

- great stepping stone if ever in the future you want to upgrade to a MEGANE. Say...the new one!

There's my 5cents (2c plus inflation) ...hope this and all the above help.

Cheers.

WOLF

ps: get one soon and come out on our next run etc. :wink:

when i was weighing up lightweight frenchy options i looked at both the gti180 and clio comparisons alot, gti180's seemed to be that little bit cheaper, but by all reports not as involving, less driving feel etc, also slower in a straight line than clio (obviously trumped by the meg though) and i found a common comment was that the driving position wasnt that great. i like my clio for its driveability, easy in traffic and on fuel, but happy to go hard as well, and like they say ^^ , the 5000rpm kick is quite a surprise, most of my mates ask if it has a turbo after the first run. cornering ability is superb, check out the top gear review on the 182 cup on youtube for some extra viewing pleasure..