New Brisbane member looking for a 172

djdavies

Hi guys

New member here from Brisbane :) I currently ride a little 1993 250cc CBR, which I love dearly, but the trouble and strife has finally won the motorbikes are dangerous arguement so she has to go. (the bike not the wife) So obviously my choice of car came down to the only thing I thought could come close to the thrills of a mini sportsbike. Hence im on the prowl for a decent 172 in QLD or maybe NSW for a good example. There are a couple of interest on car sales but I thought a quick msg here might yield some more cared for clios. Im lookin to spend closer to 10K than 15K. Anyways hope to post up some pics of a new baby in the coming weeks if all go's to plan

Cheers

Dean

• 3 weeks later...

Gonna try to get a look at a nice low kms one this weekend. 2003 with only 37000kms on it for 15k. Need to bring him down quite a bit I think as the timing belt hasnt been done yet. Is this bad news? After reading a few posts here and there most ppl seem to say every 4 years for a timing/aux belt change and this one has done 6+ years. Any thoughts and help is appreciated guys.

Cheers

Dean

There are members here who have had a timing belt fail. Replacement is cheap insurance.

Timing belt is due at the earlier of 4 years or 100k kilometres.

Good luck!

Hi Dean,

Wolf here (also a new member - will post after this). If you've looked at the clio with 37000kms then you'll probably know the following. Otherwise this may help. If it's the one at chapel hill, and black...yeah?

Saw this one myself when i was shopping... it is NOT what i would consider a well looked after Clio.

Outside: massive ding on bonnet which he tried to avoid telling me about. He threw off the allignment when he changed the wheels himself... i think there's more to the story, especially since he fed me something about the tyres were that way when he got it (or his dad got it, but gave to him to sell???..etc etc.). He changed his story when i realised the spare wheel was very used up... then, and only then, did he tell me he changed the wheel himself. Too iffy for me on that one. Rims are scratched up. Windscreen has no sensor anymore for lights and rain. Again, changed but not properly. A few scratches and dings on the car itself... some sun damage too.

Inside: Left too long in the sun i think... typical, but still bad condition steering wheel. Some serious goop was put on the electronic window panel... all sticky now. Probably tried to clean it with the wrong stuff. The gearshift boot is busted, as in, comes out. If i remember right, some things missing with receipts, last service at goodyear in acacia ridge - took a car there once... ONCE!. No timing belt etc. Think he still wanted 16k when last i saw the add... drop him to at least to 13k... or i'd even go less. Then feel free to contact myself to point you to all the right places, as well who to talk to when your ready to bring it up to speed. Happy to help.

Good luck... and see you out there.

cheers wolf

i have not seen the clio yet and I may not bother after reading your scathing review :lol: Ive been in sms contact with that bloke trying to find out if i can get him down to like 12k, but this was mainly based to my knowledge of the timing belt not all the other issues you have mentioned. I think the search may have to continue for a while longer yet :(

Wolf you didnt happen to but that monaco blue 172 in morningside did you?? Cause that was gonna be mine hehe

Cheers again

Sorry buddy, wasn't me. I got a black 172 from the Gold Coast over a month ago.

Keep an eye on the ones with higher kms, but well looked after. Services, garaged etc.

20000km per year in QLD is pretty standard. Happy hunting DJ.

See u out there.

Truth be told... i should have gone with this one on carsales 6899474 (vehice id).

It has esp...i checked... and no major sun damage, or other issues. Has the timing belt etc done.

She has dropped it to $12200. Might be worth your trouble... and who knows, have a road trip back.

Hope this helps.

See ya.

Welcome Dean! Good luck with the hunt. Hope you find a nice litte RSC soon :wink:

Hey guys

Had a test drive in a 2001 monaco blue 172 today with 110k on the clock. It was from a dealer who I have little intention on buying from as he wants 13k and says he wont budge :wanker: but I just wanted to post some thoughts and questions. First off these cars are totally bonkers! It was quite wet out and hence I found 1st gear almost unusable with the wheelspin and second was a bit hairy too. The car looked great all round. Paint was immaculate and all alloys where pretty much perfect. Now for the questions.

1. Drivers side seat latch (ie to bring the seat forward to get in the back) was not working. Is this an expensive fix?

2. Boot would not catch when closing without several firm slams. Expensive fix?

3. Steering wheel thumb grips where in good condition but coming away from the wheel a touch. Can these just be glued back down?

4. Did the 2001 models have ESP or did this come a bit later on?

5. Oh and the was an annoying hiss coming from somwhere around the glovebox! turned off aircon and radio and could still hear it?? Maybe it was just me :)

Cheers again guys

Dean

2. Boot would not catch when closing without several firm slams. Expensive fix?

Nope. Dead easy, just adjust the little tongue at the bottom out about 2mm

3. Steering wheel thumb grips where in good condition but coming away from the wheel a touch. Can these just be glued back down?

Yep, or re-cover the whole thing, grips and all for a couple of hundred

4. Did the 2001 models have ESP or did this come a bit later on?

That came later, the side indicators changed colour at about the same time - yellow to white

5. Oh and the was an annoying hiss coming from somwhere around the glovebox! turned off aircon and radio and could still hear it?? Maybe it was just me :)

Are you sure it wasn't above you in the light? There's a little fan in there that supplies the cabin temp sensor

Depends on how it's broken - or if it's just jammed. If it's broken, its second hand seat time, or Renault will charge you through the nose for the part.

You could always just use the passenger side :wink: