Useability suggestion regarding email notification of posts

dank

and PMs.

Hi there,

I was wondering if it is possible to tweak the software to send you the contents of the PM or new posts in the email? My reason for asking it is sometimes there might be a flurry of posts that are off topic (forum banter) which, while fine, means nothing to those who are not in on the side conversation/joke etc and therefore if people can read them in the email they would not have to log in in order to see what these past 2-3 email notifications were for.

Of course, it's not always about me me ME: by sending the content of the new posts (w/o pics, I'd imagine) and relieving (?) most people of the need to view the actual page, I believe you'll save a fair bit of bandwidth not having to serve all the older posts on the same page, plus our profiles and sigs etc etc.

I find it really handy on the other forums, and I hope I'm not the only one who would like to see it...?

Dan

and PMs.

Hi there,

I was wondering if it is possible to tweak the software to send you the contents of the PM or new posts in the email? My reason for asking it is sometimes there might be a flurry of posts that are off topic (forum banter) which, while fine, means nothing to those who are not in on the side conversation/joke etc and therefore if people can read them in the email they would not have to log in in order to see what these past 2-3 email notifications were for.

Of course, it's not always about me me ME: by sending the content of the new posts (w/o pics, I'd imagine) and relieving (?) most people of the need to view the actual page, I believe you'll save a fair bit of bandwidth not having to serve all the older posts on the same page, plus our profiles and sigs etc etc.

I find it really handy on the other forums, and I hope I'm not the only one who would like to see it...?

Dan

Heh Dan,

I'm sure its possible, not sure how to do it myself but one of the other IT inclined admins may know.

One concern I have is that my service provider (ie my work) is using really harsh email content filters

and many of my emails from aussiefrogs get quarantined because of text in the content.

I''m not saying we're worse than aussiefrogs :mrgreen: but our current system is pretty simple

and seems to work fine through my draconian network. If everyone else thinks its worth a try

though then fine.

cheers, :D

hey Bio,

It could be an option to turn it on, so only those who want text in their emails will get them?

I don't know whether this can be easily added onto phpBB, but I'm willing to do some research if you guys want me to.

By all means, are you sure its not available in your user preferences?, I guess not as you'd have found it.

Sure, see if you can work out how to do that. Then if people like yourself wish to have that option enabled

I'm sure we will oblige.

hey Bio,

It could be an option to turn it on, so only those who want text in their emails will get them?

I don't know whether this can be easily added onto phpBB, but I'm willing to do some research if you guys want me to.

By all means, are you sure its not available in your user preferences?, I guess not as you'd have found it.

Sure, see if you can work out how to do that. Then if people like yourself wish to have that option enabled

I'm sure we will oblige.

I found this phpBB module whose summary seems to do exactly what I'm looking for:

http://www.phpbb.com/mods/db/index.php?i=misc&mode=display&contrib_id=3279

Topic Reply in Email

Include the replies to topics in the notification emails that are sent.

It's for phpBB version 2, which is what this forum is running on, yay!

It's about 6KB (compressed?) so it shouldn't take me long to go through the code... when I'm not at work :)

I found this phpBB module whose summary seems to do exactly what I'm looking for:

http://www.phpbb.com/mods/db/index.php?i=misc&mode=display&contrib_id=3279

Topic Reply in Email

Include the replies to topics in the notification emails that are sent.

It's for phpBB version 2, which is what this forum is running on, yay!

It's about 6KB (compressed?) so it shouldn't take me long to go through the code... when I'm not at work :)

The good news: The modification is pretty simple - it just adds the post to the content of the email, basically.

The bad news: 1) it requires the sys admin guy to patch the code, and 2) being so simple, it does not give the individual user the option to turn it on or off.

OH WELL!

Nice try Dank,

Keep your eyes open, if you find the code that allows the user to set that option for themselves,

I'm sure our system guru will get the code implemented. So far the consensus among the admins

is to keep the default as is but if the user option is available then implement that.

Cheers, :)

Nice try Dank,

Keep your eyes open, if you find the code that allows the user to set that option for themselves,

I'm sure our system guru will get the code implemented. So far the consensus among the admins

is to keep the default as is but if the user option is available then implement that.

Cheers, :)

Thanks Bio; I'll see if I can come up with a patch these hols :)