Staticc Clio 197

Staticc

Hey All,

Late last year I purchased a silver 197 from WA.

I was looking for another hot hatch as I am a bit of a nut for trying new things. Also I like the idea swapping between 2 cars, so this 197 came up for a reasonable price and is now complementing my R53 Mini Cooper S.

It managed to pass ID inspection with only the tint having to be removed after installing a stock air box and 2 new tyres.

I have been driving it to work lately and liking the handling. It has a few issues as it’s a high mileage example, but just means I have to work on it a bit. You don’t see too many of these on the road.

The issues I’ve been having are 3rd is crunching, and it likes to kangaroo more than expected. I’m planning on fitting a larger o-ring and getting a MAP stay to try and fix this, and searching options on the gearbox.

I hope to get it on the track too and have as much fun as possible with it.

I hope to talk and see you guys around in SA and learn a bit more about the Clio platform.

Here are some pics I have taken through my short ownership, I’ll endeavour to take some better ones.

AlexAC83473F-32BE-400D-BA04-4A482A86F456.thumb.jpeg.a37502171edc0c788e0bbc4af71e3e9d.jpegDABAC9F8-7527-4715-95DA-B8BFD91D6F06.thumb.jpeg.5370d2ff690a00822b9bc3ca8e55547b.jpeg8C5D2193-C538-4029-8BFC-08856FAF527B.thumb.jpeg.a3642d064541c9929594ca00eca9bdab.jpegDD0A9F10-ED2B-439E-923E-0014A73F949D.thumb.jpeg.ec47c9693cc1f850ff6cb40bcfce8938.jpeg

• Like 6

Try the map sensor thing mentioned above first.
Does this have a modified exhaust?
The 197 suffers badly with a flat spot around 2500rpm if the mid muffler is removed on the stock tune. A tune or a proper exhaust (akra!) can fix this though.

unfortunately the Clio 3 gearbox is known to have weak synchros and most with a few Kay’s will have an issue. It can be fixed with new 3/4 synchros and may as well chuck an lsd in there while you’re at it 😬

I believe it does. I also believe it has a tune on it as well. But wouldn't mind going over it again anyways.

Yeah I was going into the purchase knowning it had a synchro issue. And it has done almost 290,000kms so it's probably due for that issue soon if it was fine 😛

But it's a hoot to drive, and am very happy with Clio life at the moment.

Thanks all for the feedback. 

I cleaned out the MAP sensor with new o-rings, cleaned the throttle body, cleaned the PVC system and re-ziptied the MAP. This has helped the issue a lot, but still has a small hesitation on some throttle input.

It has improved the driveability and love taking it to work now. The next thing is to finish off the basic service items (oil and filter) and get it up to check over the suspension as it has some knocks over bumps.

Also I would like to take a few pics of the Clio with the Mini as these are great cars. They both handle so well

17 hours ago, Staticc said:

Thanks all for the feedback. 

I cleaned out the MAP sensor with new o-rings, cleaned the throttle body, cleaned the PVC system and re-ziptied the MAP. This has helped the issue a lot, but still has a small hesitation on some throttle input.

It has improved the driveability and love taking it to work now. The next thing is to finish off the basic service items (oil and filter) and get it up to check over the suspension as it has some knocks over bumps.

Also I would like to take a few pics of the Clio with the Mini as these are great cars. They both handle so well

Throttle lag is normal in first and second gear. Best way to sort it is with a EVC throttle controller. They go for about 200 bucks online and feel like a tune below 4k

On 14/02/2023 at 9:33 PM, Staticc said:

Where did you get new o-rings for the MAP sensor. I cant find anything big enough to make a tight seal

On 14/02/2023 at 9:33 PM, Staticc said:

I bought a o-ring kit from Repco. The seals are the same size, the far o-ring on mine was damaged so it was leaking. It had one with a larger internal diameter but I wasn’t sure if it would work.

https://www.repco.com.au/en/parts-service/car-engine-parts/oil-seals/gj-works-grab-kit-metric-o-rings-gka380/p/A9503471?kwSearch=O ring

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Staticc said:

I bought a o-ring kit from Repco. The seals are the same size, the far o-ring on mine was damaged so it was leaking. It had one with a larger internal diameter but I wasn’t sure if it would work.

https://www.repco.com.au/en/parts-service/car-engine-parts/oil-seals/gj-works-grab-kit-metric-o-rings-gka380/p/A9503471?kwSearch=O ring

Good grief, that's a comprehensive o-ring kit. I bought a small kit and it had one that was the correct ID but too small OD 

Yeah. Needless to say I won't need to buy any more o-rings anytime soon 😛

This one has some really good sized rings, I used it to fix my Italian water pump for the house lol

I am still contemplating getting the CNC machined stay for the MAP, as it is still hesitating randomly. 

My 200 had lots of low end issues and cold starting issues, things that I have changed that have made a difference 

- New spark plugs

- Liqui Moly fuel system cleaner

Both of the above helped with hesitation 

I have changed the plugs, but this happens even when warm as well.

I think I'll look at getting it tuned as well as the stay. Taking the plugs out on arrival looks like it is over fueled so that's something that will be looked at too.

• 1 year later...

Hi I’ve been looking around and I’ve seen a few bike throttle body kits about does anyone have any info about this and what would actually be needed and what the result would be of doing something like this?