New 265 owner looking for track time [Brisbane]

DaPenguin

Afternoon,

Thanks to the advice in the forum on a good mechanic to look over a 265. I have one lined up and should pick it up Friday.

I would love to take it to a track and get used to how it handles which is the reason I wanted it.

I heard that the Renault club do happy laps at QR or Lakeside.

How do I find out more about this?

Thanks all.

• Like 1

Renault Car Club QLD has Happy Laps at QR on Sunday 15th August.  

I'm not a club member but do get email from them.  They have contact details on their website https://renaultclubqld.com.au

Happy laps is pretty tame and a good way to meet new people at the breakfast beforehand.

• Like 1

On 27/07/2021 at 4:27 PM, DaPenguin said:

Afternoon,

Thanks to the advice in the forum on a good mechanic to look over a 265. I have one lined up and should pick it up Friday.

I would love to take it to a track and get used to how it handles which is the reason I wanted it.

I heard that the Renault club do happy laps at QR or Lakeside.

How do I find out more about this?

Thanks all.

Hey mate, welcome! 

Send Graham an email at rccq.sec@gmail.com and he'll help sign you up for Happy Laps at QR in August. 

Happy Laps is a great place to start to get comfortable with the track layouts before you jump on with people trying to set lap times. 

The next Happy Laps at Lakeside will be 26th of September I believe. One not to miss! The future of Lakeside and Happy Laps sessions in general is up in the air for next year and Lakeside is great fun so get on there while you can. I've driven at QR, Lakeside and Morgan Park in QLD and Sydney Motorsport Park in NSW and Lakeside is by far my personal favourite. 

Come say hi if you make it to QR in August. Hard to miss, I'm the bright orange Meg 4 with RST300 plates! 

• 2 weeks later...

@DaPenguin did you end up signing on for Happy Laps this Sunday?  I was going to give it a miss but I suspect this reprieve from lock-down might be quite short so decided to go along on Sunday while we still can.  I'll be in the Grey A&D in my Avatar pic.  Greg.

5 hours ago, Caduceus said:

@DaPenguin did you end up signing on for Happy Laps this Sunday?  I was going to give it a miss but I suspect this reprieve from lock-down might be quite short so decided to go along on Sunday while we still can.  I'll be in the Grey A&D in my Avatar pic.  Greg.

Is it still happening with restrictions on community sport?

1 hour ago, ScottS said:

Is it still happening with restrictions on community sport?

Yep! QR has given the go ahead. 

See below for the info from RCCQ:

We have been waiting to see what came of the lockdown and directives following the lockdown so I have not sent out any reminders for Happy Laps, until now.  The QR website today states all events are back on https://www.facebook.com/queenslandraceways/photos/pb.193280544021336.-2207520000../4896029497079727/?type=3&theater so we are back in business.   If you aren't on Facebook, in a nutshell, the following are the main points from QR:
We will please ask all participants and spectators to abide by the following so that we can continue to run events:
➡ 1. Wear a mask at all times
➡ 2. Keep your distance from others that are not in your group
➡ 3. Check in with the QR code when you enter the venue

Edited by ReeceM

2 hours ago, DaPenguin said:

I was holding off as my weekend timing was questionable but I have tonight asked if a spot if available. So fingers crossed I will be good to go and hit the track with my 265. Thanks for all the replies!

Should be space! QR has a bit more room than Lakeside.

There's a 20% chance of a tiny bit of rain (my weather app says 0.2mm) in the morning but it goes ahead unless the rain is torential and there's standing water on the track, so don't stay home if you wake up and there's some drizzle! 

RCCQ Happy Laps Wet Weather Policy.pdf

On 29/07/2021 at 11:04 PM, ReeceM said:

Hey mate, welcome! 

Send Graham an email at rccq.sec@gmail.com and he'll help sign you up for Happy Laps at QR in August. 

Happy Laps is a great place to start to get comfortable with the track layouts before you jump on with people trying to set lap times. 

The next Happy Laps at Lakeside will be 26th of September I believe. One not to miss! The future of Lakeside and Happy Laps sessions in general is up in the air for next year and Lakeside is great fun so get on there while you can. I've driven at QR, Lakeside and Morgan Park in QLD and Sydney Motorsport Park in NSW and Lakeside is by far my personal favourite. 

Come say hi if you make it to QR in August. Hard to miss, I'm the bright orange Meg 4 with RST300 plates! 

Thanks for the info Reece. I had a great time this morning. Sorry I didn't come and say hello but I hopefully will see you again. Looking forward to September at Lakeside now!

20 hours ago, DaPenguin said:

Thanks for the info Reece. I had a great time this morning. Sorry I didn't come and say hello but I hopefully will see you again. Looking forward to September at Lakeside now!

All good! The fog was... interesting for the first few laps.