Meg 2 AC drama

Rusty76

Hi Guys, I had the ac compressor go in my Meg 2 F1 team. Apparently its put metal through the system and need new compressor, tx valve filter etc and been quoted over $5k to do it through Renault. Anyone had this issue or resolved through 2nd hand parts and an auto electrician? thx

I had some issues last year one of which was my AC. Stay away from Renault,  Jew the Meg2 tech pages for my experience if you want a laugh.

From memory the compressor s are the same for other Renaults of that time.  But more knowledgeable forum members could advise.

Is it confirmed as the compressor?!

what symptoms do you have /what happened?!

This might show the part numbers for you then EBAY search or cross ref to see how much better anywhere else would charge for parts.

blue arrow... is the clutch at front able to be moved in n out (like 3mm is all) ??

red circle— Ac system pressure sensor... is it corroded or shitty?!

green arrows- is it secure or damaged wires‽ 

4496B6CD-F7B6-4618-BB19-583AE9EF6798.thumb.jpeg.9bccddf155415afcdea33b2e0cbe4e9f.jpeg

thanks for the info, it is definitely seized and metal fragments got past the filter to the tx valve apparently. I did take it to my local auto elect to double check and it needs replacing he said. I'm going to chase up some used parts to check cost I think

• Like 1

Changing it is one of the simpler jobs on these cars and is doable by anyone with a little tool knowledge and some confidence. Easier with a second person.
De-gas. Take the front bumber off and the front left (facing car) quarter panel. Remove under tray. Wheel may need to come off but that's up to you. Undo all the AC connections. Use a hex extension and rotate the assembly forward to remove belt tension and remove the belt. Unplug the wiring and undo the bolts. Should drop out and just reverse the process to reconnect.

Or not up to you mate.

Good luck on getting it fixed.

• Like 1

Some Holden Astra's use the same compressor.  I recently purchase a S/H Megane compressor for < $200.

After a compressor failure, or low gas. some Megane's will spit up a Cold Loop fault which not allow the A/C compressor to engage after regassing.  The fault code needs to be cleared with a Scan tool, but NOT all Scan tools will do the job.

I have an iCcarsoft i907 which does clear the Cold Loop fault.

Mark

On 26/03/2019 at 7:30 AM, Clio43 said:

Some Holden Astra's use the same compressor.  I recently purchase a S/H Megane compressor for < $200.

After a compressor failure, or low gas. some Megane's will spit up a Cold Loop fault which not allow the A/C compressor to engage after regassing.  The fault code needs to be cleared with a Scan tool, but NOT all Scan tools will do the job.

I have an iCcarsoft i907 which does clear the Cold Loop fault.

Mark

If like me your experience with a actual Renault service centre for a one hour fee to clear and reset the body computer and clear the fault coders will lend up costs you 3 wasted days, $800 bill for investigation work  (*after refusing to show me the RenaultClip print outs)  to be told they cannot remove the codes and you need a new UPC, and new radiator fan assembly, and  other things... with a suggested price of parts (not even fitting) for over $3K.

So I just ran power to the battery from the AC clutch plug, a suitable fuse, and a switch to not have draw on battery whilst not in use, and hew presto, the AC clutch again engages and AC blows cold air.   

Renault Springwood servicing ...  not how I remember it when Andrew Lotherington worked there 😭