Tasmanian Rs265

Nautic_Al

Hi All

I have had my Liquid Yellow 2014 RS265 for under a year but I have only just got around to saying hello.

I bought the car for Tarmac Rally and spent most of last week pulling the leather Recaros, the rear trim and back seats out to fit a cage. I have installed Velo race seats on both sides - I need the headroom as I can't get in the car with helmet on even without the front part of the cage fitted.

The roll cage is a bolt in job with welded in body mounts. At the moment we have not fitted the front half as we only need a CAMS half cage for sports trophy level competition.

I have just booked the car in for a remap/tune at the HP Factory in Melbourne - we will have it done on the way to Targa High Country in November.

Has anyone had a tune done by these guys on a RS265?

I will be running the car otherwise stock, although I might need to fit 8 1/2 wheels as I can't find any 8 1/4" wheels locally - I can get 8 1/2's out of the UK landed here for about $2000 a set of 4. A space saver is not much use if we need to fit it in competition.

I broke a wheel on my GT220 (driving over a 4x2 timber at night while doing recce for TTas) and it cost $1750 for one spare rim - luckily insurance covered that.

We have been driving a Toyota GTS 86 in targa competition for the last few years but the organisers have got serious on illegal mods and they will no longer allow my supercharger in open competition, so the little screamer has to go. 

I had my GT220 for a year or so before getting the RS265 and loved the performance. I never sorted the problem of lack of LSD up front and it appears that you can not turn the ESC off, so when you work the car hard in corners it works the brakes and shuts down the power. Great for performance! Ha Ha!

Very happy with RS 265 so far - it is capable of going a lot harder than I am prepared to drive these days.

Cheers

Al

• Like 3

Welcome ... best State to own an RS in I'd say! Assume you followed the Meganes in Targa recently, they have done well the past few years. 

Can I be rude and ask what everyone is thinking ... what's happening with the seats you removed? :) 

Hi Detraque

I confess I have stashed the seats in a high place in my workshop without really thinking about it. I suppose I had it in mind that I might put them back one day if I do another race car but realistically they might be there for a long time.

They are very nice looking seats and very comfortable but having humped them up onto the mezzanine floor, they are surprisingly heavy.

Any idea what they would be worth if I were to sell them?

Cheers

Al

• Like 1

Hi JTT

I am not actually offering them for sale but if someone wants to make me an offer I would think about selling them.

I am inclined to just sit on them, if you will excuse the terrible pun.

Cheers

Al

• Like 1

Welcome Al, RS owners are few and far between over here... I've seen two others in the two years that I've had mine, and it looks like you're not about to add to numbers on the road. Autohaus Launceston had a liquid yellow RS265 on sale for a while - yours?

Anyway, as I said, welcome, this forum's great - supportive and friendly and a wonderful resource.

Thanks Michael

I bought mine from Hobart Autohaus / Renault in November last year - it may be the same car. I looked at a red one with 8000km on the clock at Port Melbourne Volvo on the way back from Targa High Country in November but getting it back was a bit of a mission and although I like red cars (my GTS86 is red) it is not the best colour for the RS.I called in at the Hobart yard just to have a look and the one I bought had arrived that morning, I thought from Victoria - it had apparently been a demo or a staff car. Anyway, it had 3000 ks on the clock and seemed a good buy.

I am very happy with it so far - goes much harder than the GT220.

Cheers

Al

Hey, i read your article. As usual with forums they quickly go off track from the original question asked. I can't help you with the question you posted below.

" have just booked the car in for a remap/tune at the HP Factory in Melbourne - we will have it done on the way to Targa High Country in November.

Has anyone had a tune done by these guys on a RS265?"

But if after you get the remap/tune done I would appreciate if you could send a post through with your review.

I have an identical car to yours and was also an ex company car in same colour. So far have been quite impressed.

Cheers.

Is there a reason why you selected HP Factory for the ECU remap?  I think there are a number of tuning options for the RS cars, including in Melbourne of course, so a check on the Meg 3 tech forum will provide ideas and experiences on who has done what to tune their Meg 3.

I have not seen HP Factory referred to on the forum, but that does not mean it is not a good option.  There may just be others that some here on the forum have tried and have results with.

• Like 1