2011/12 Sport 250 Cup Trophee - Purchasing Advice

NickMillard

Hello friendly Renault People,

My apologies if this is posted in the wrong section but I wasn't sure where to put it.  Basically I am in the market for a car and came across the 2011/12 Renault Megane 250 Cup and Trophee version.  It looks to get a good write up everywhere I read but just thought I would grab some first hand accounts from actual owners who may have had theirs for a while.  

Of course on other forums there's people saying to stay away from the French cars altogether but once again, these people have probably never owned a French car in their life.

My main area of concern is reliability and servicing and parts costs.  I had an Alfa Romeo recently and when it was going good, it was great but if anything went wrong with it, it usually went wrong in a big way with the end result being me eating baked beans on toast for every meal for a month thereafter (slight exaggeration) haha... what's that saying.... once bitten, twice shy?  

Anyway if anyone could provide any advice or even red flags to look for when purchasing one, or if they've had there's for a few years now, how it's running, that would be fantastic. 

Thanks for your help,

Nick

Hi Nick,

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on a great vehicle choice that you are considering.  There is a lot of really good information on the forum, and advice available from folks with plenty of experience in the Renault Sport marque in general, and including the RS250's of course.

Overall I think it is probably fair to say that you have nailed it.  Most naysayers against these vehicles are folks that have never owned one, or may have known someone back in the dark ages who had trouble with a French car once.  I don't think there is any less reliability associated with RS cars than other performance based vehicle brand.  Likewise parts and service is pretty comparable - they are not Ferrari's after all.

The driving experience, however, is truly like nothing else!!!  They must be driven to be believed.  Overall, the RS cars are very well sorted, well engineered, and to my eye - the automotive equivalent of a supermodel...  :drool:

That said, if you are considering a 250 then you will be thinking second hand, therefore how the car has been looked after and maintained is pretty important. Especially considering some 250's are likely to be getting close to needing timing belt and aux belt replacements as these are time/mileage dependent replacements and not "inspection" items.  This replacement is both pretty expensive to do (featuring into the cost equation), but more precisely can be catastrophic if you continue to drive when it is overdue, and if it lets go.  Ensure you check the service history of the car.  If it doesn't have a complete history, don't be afraid to walk away from what may otherwise look like a bargain, as it may not be.

My suggestion is to have a read of the forum threads - there are threads dedicated to the Meg 3's, and also to have a look at the for sale threads for cars that forum members are selling.  There are some spectacularly good and much loved examples of exactly the car you are seeking for sale by forum members here, including a couple close to home for you.  That would be a good place to start, and then you can also talk candidly with the owners of the vehicles and understand how they have treated their cars.

We warned - do try hard not to drive one, otherwise you will have to buy one.  You will become addicted!  I had never owned a French car until about a year ago, and we now have three RS cars in the garage...  :roll:

Don't say I didn't warn you...   :mrgreen:

See you on a run some time after you take delivery of your Meg...  Good luck with your search and shout out if you need some more assistance.  The forum members are a pretty friendly bunch, and love to help others out - especially in matters Renault Sport...

• Like 2

Hello friendly Renault People,

My apologies if this is posted in the wrong section but I wasn't sure where to put it.  Basically I am in the market for a car and came across the 2011/12 Renault Megane 250 Cup and Trophee version.  It looks to get a good write up everywhere I read but just thought I would grab some first hand accounts from actual owners who may have had theirs for a while.  

Of course on other forums there's people saying to stay away from the French cars altogether but once again, these people have probably never owned a French car in their life.

My main area of concern is reliability and servicing and parts costs.  I had an Alfa Romeo recently and when it was going good, it was great but if anything went wrong with it, it usually went wrong in a big way with the end result being me eating baked beans on toast for every meal for a month thereafter (slight exaggeration) haha... what's that saying.... once bitten, twice shy?  

Anyway if anyone could provide any advice or even red flags to look for when purchasing one, or if they've had there's for a few years now, how it's running, that would be fantastic. 

Thanks for your help,

Nick

Welcome, not sure what Alfa you had previously. Miss my GTA to death save for the massive running costs. RS 250/265 a different story albeit I purchased mine new. Provided you buy a well cared for example ideally with low kms, running costs won't be anything out of the ordinary. Good luck in your search, these are great cars and fantastic value.