2008 Megane Sport 225 Cup Price

TheyCallMeBruce

Howdy

First post questions to all, but some background to start with...

So I've been test driving a various fleet of cars recently in the hope to find a fun new ride.

1st off was a 2015 Mini Cooper JCW special worth $60k! Awesome fun, (espesh since they didn't come with me!) and loved the gadgets, but hey it's $60k! 

2nd was a 2008 Golf GTI Pirelli worth $20k. Loooved the interior and power the thing had, although it did struggle to get it to the ground at times, but everyone has a golf and the boot is a bit small coming from owning a Liberty wagon now.

3rd a 2012 WRX hatch for $30k. As expected the power and AWD was brilliant, just not thrilled with the plain, no frills interior.

4th a 2007 Audi S3 hatch for $29k. Incredible power and handling again with the AWD, nice interior but more than I'm wanting to spend.

So I've come to the conclusion that a Megane Sport 225 Cup is for me. All the bells and whistles inside and amazing power and handling.(And a bigger boot than most)  As they are pretty rare and dealers tend not to have have them 2nd hand, I am yet to drive one.

Alas I may have struck gold with a work colleague selling his.

2008 Megane Sport 225 Cup. 5 door. Responsible 60+yo driver, 2nd owner, owned it for 3yrs and has done 12,000k's bringing us to the grand total of 60,000k's on the clock to date! 

He is yet to work out a price, but I was wondering what you all think would be a reasonable offer?

Unsure if it's had the 60k service. Is this the timing belt one?

Will take it to Carl at VIrage for a once over, but is there any issues you can think of with a 7yo car with low km's? Seals, bearings drying out etc?

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

Welcome and good luck finding a car!

The belts are due on kms and time, whichever is sooner. If not done at least once by now, they are majorly overdue. It's a $1500 service I believe.

Engine mounts will probably also be due, they last about 45-55km. About 600 including labour for genuine parts. Carl at Virage can source identical unbadged items about 150 cheaper I think.

Other than that, I'm not sure what else so handing over to others here!

Oh, as for price... Anywhere in the vicinity of 14-17K I suppose? Most 08s seem to be around 15 but are higher k's.

Edited by hamstrung

Welcome Bruce,

It's always a challenge to compare a $60k new vehicle to a 7 year old used one, but I still think the points decision will be in favour of the Megane.  You will be loving the power and handling long after you get over the gadget overload in the JCW.  Plus the rough suspension and those run flat tyres in the Mini will only annoy you slightly more than the rampant depreciation that you will incur with the Mini compared with the Megane...

My two cents worth.  Good luck with your decision...

Welcome and good luck finding a car!

The belts are due on kms and time, whichever is sooner. If not done at least once by now, they are majorly overdue. It's a $1500 service I believe.

Engine mounts will probably also be due, they last about 45-55km. About 600 including labour for genuine parts. Carl at Virage can source identical unbadged items about 150 cheaper I think.

Other than that, I'm not sure what else so handing over to others here!

Oh, as for price... Anywhere in the vicinity of 14-17K I suppose? Most 08s seem to be around 15 but are higher k's.

Excellent work Hamstrung! I'll look into his receipts and find out what's been done and when.

Welcome Bruce,

It's always a challenge to compare a $60k new vehicle to a 7 year old used one, but I still think the points decision will be in favour of the Megane.  You will be loving the power and handling long after you get over the gadget overload in the JCW.  Plus the rough suspension and those run flat tyres in the Mini will only annoy you slightly more than the rampant depreciation that you will incur with the Mini compared with the Megane...

My two cents worth.  Good luck with your decision...

Thanks No152. Yeah the Mini was never a serious contender at that price, just a bit of fun blasting around Melbs on a sunny arvo with the missus!

Gotta make the most of a sunny day when you can. Sounds like a pretty good way to do it. Especially in someone else's very expensive JCW.... Lol