Blue 172 in Brisbane

illutible

Hello all, bought a 2002 172 a couple of weeks ago in Sydney, from a forum member, I think.

It was cheap, but has a few issues...

I'm lucky enough to have a step dad who's a retired mechanic, with a car hoist in his back yard, so issues can be fixed if they can be identified!

I've been lurking here for a few weeks, and have just figured out why I can't see the damn pics, so will post tech issues in another post to get my count up...

I also have a 98 Peugeot gti6 (currently without an engine, hence picking up the Clio) and a 2010 Golf Gti, that's had a custom tune and puts out 159kw at the wheels.

Cheers

Rory

What kind of issues are you having? Almost all of the common problems we know/can help you with. Hoist in the backyard is awfully useful!

The issue that's really bugging me is a noise that comes from the front end...I thought front left, but when my friend was in the passenger seat, he reckoned front right :)

Happens either taking off quickly (from get go), or around 3.5k to 5k rpm. Doesn't happen when the wheels aren't under load (on hoist, in gear).

Top engine mount is new and looks ok. Dogbone mount looks good. Had a look at the mount under the battery yesterday, and it was loose and out of alignment. Realigned an tightened... Still makes the noise.

Could this be top suspension mounts or driveshaft issue?

Other issues (most seem common...):

Body needs work, dings, overspray, scratches, faded roof (working on this bit by bit)

Gearbox whine in first and reverse

Gearbox leak near selector arm

Inner driveshaft boot

Dead aircon

Windscreen washers don't work

Exhaust mounts

Shocks rooted (Planning on new dampers and 30mm drop springs after tax return...)

Wheels need refurb

Has cheap-and-cheerful tyres... (Good ones to come after tax time...)

Rough idle (new plugs on the way... Maybe coilpack?)

Selector arm leak normal. Most just leave it. Could be oil from oil changes blowing around due to position of the filter. It's very hard not make a mess changing it.

Dead aircon - if this is the fan not working then it's quite poss it is the fan control module under the skuttle plate between bonnet and front window drivers side.

Rough idle can be normal. Many of us buy and RSTuner and load a new cal file to ECU that improves this a lot.

The dreaded knock. You just have to keep looking and diagnosing. Def strut tops can cause this. Or perhaps a knocking on the subframe. Or control arm ball joints. Many things poss.

Gear box prob yr main issue.

Rest cosmetic :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh washer motor. There are two. One for window one for head lights. If the head light one still works (head lights must be on) then swap it to the window position. Done. Saved buying a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the motor works, but no water comes out, then you just have to trim the foam inside the motor. There's guides on how to do it on Cliosport.net