Incorporate Yahoo posts

Nate

can i suggest incorporating yahoo stuff....

(we need to consolodate... its givin me the poops)

Subscribe to yahoo with an email... on the hosting server (that hosts this one) have a script to connect to the POP3 server, get the posts & then automatically enter them into a "Yahoo" section....

Shouldnt take me long to script up...

Sounds like a plan Nate! Still need to incorporate a gallery and file section etc. The database facility in Yahoo is still pretty good compared to the polling system on here, but surely that can be replicated here... and what about archiving all the posts from Yahoo (doesn't Craig "The Guru" Bradney have everything that's been posted?)? What sort of space would be required, and do we have the space Brendan?

Let's get this place rockin!

Fantastic idea guys..

Can we?? :?

Rex-static?? He is hosting the site, so the size is important..

If we want to add some serious traffic, ie galleries etc, we may need to either off him some $$ or have it hosted by a commerical company...

Do we have any mony left over from the cards? Or could we all throw in a fiver? Rex, what do we need to do??

Think we should take advantage of the momentum and free plugs!

i actually work for a company that hosts stuff... but its more of a "premium" service... i.e. dual '000Mb links, full redundancy for everything, 3 ac's 2 ups etc etc etc...

I'm also the PR guy for the RCCA, so maybe we can move it all to one place, (RCCA & this) if we all join the RCCA , then i'm sure they wont matter as its for the club...

time time time time....

For everyones info, we are 'almost' up to our allowable bandwidth under the current arrangement :wink:

So we may need to look at a more budget approach to hosting.. Do we have any RCS owners out there who have any links to this world of hosting??

Rex-static may be able to assist us with our own account for web hosting.. We cant have a gallery until we have a bit more space to run with :)

How would $50 for 50meg sound??

PauLD

Not sure about the yahoo thing, nate if you can script it up, then go for it :P As long as it pulls the data off live rather than copying it to the server.. does yahoo! even allow this though?

As with space, ive sent paul some info on contacting the host we are with at the minute.. so we'll see how that goes.

• 1 month later...

Well it'd be a case of sending a heap of "GET" requests & getting all the messages... i'll see if it can be done (no time at the mo with the new unit).

But i was originally thinking of having emails sent to a Server, then a script to automatically post on this forum. i.e. the email would come to my computer, a script would grab it from the Server, pa*** it, then login to the forum & post it...

Dunno how that would hit the space requirements :(

Maybe we should start lookin at sponsorship?

I'll chat with Craig & see how RCCA do it & if we can get a "sister" club discount.... :|

Not sure about the yahoo thing, nate if you can script it up, then go for it :P As long as it pulls the data off live rather than copying it to the server.. does yahoo! even allow this though?

As with space, ive sent paul some info on contacting the host we are with at the minute.. so we'll see how that goes.