Potential R26-er

wavy

Hey OZRSers, I've been thinking about doing the whole hot hatch thing for a while. Originally I was looking at the Focus ST and Golf GTI but recently the R26 Megane has caught my eye. I realise I'm probably not in the most impartial place for comparisons between those cars but I'm always interested to hear what people likes/dislikes are in regards to the various models, particularly if they have experience with R26 and GTI/ST.

Anyway, I figured I'd join up here and try and absorb some knowledge and get a heads-up on what to look out for should I decide to go for the Meggy after all :lol:

Cheers!

I bought a black R26 (yellow doesnt suit the angular lines :) ) after testing a Golf. The R26 is hands down the better drivers car -it feels so alive and zesty in comparison to the Golf. Every time I drive mine I fall in love all over again with the steering, handling, awesome brakes and the way it just begs me to throw it into a corner.

The Golf is just - blah. It's everymans hot hatch.

And my ex wife drives one :)

Thanks for the replies guys. The 2-door thing doesn't bother me too much, if I was to get a Golf I would've been looking at a 2-door one anyway. I think they look better than the 4-door and I don't really need 4 doors right now either.

The more I hear about the R26, esp the handling, the more I like the idea of it. I really love the Liquid Yellow colour too :nod:

In general, what do you think about Renaults reliability? Whenever I mention to people that I'm looking into the Megane the first thing they say is "ohhh, French cars aren't very reliable". Surely that's not still a thing? I figured these days pretty much every manufacturer would be able be putting together relatively solid cars?

Also, related to reliability, I noticed that a lot of people seem to be remapping their RS's. Does the extra power/boost/whatever affect the longevity of the engine/driveline much? Basically, do you think I should be careful when looking at purchasing a modified R26?

Thanks guys

Besides engine mounts and injectors the r26 is solid.

All RS models have solid running gear.

I'm running stage 2 map on mine for 2 years with no issues.

A remapped r26 with short shifter is a thing of beauty and a super fun and evolving drive.

Just drive one!

I've had mine two years and apart from the passenger window regulator going its been fine. Just about to do the timing belt and 60000km service (at 45,000 km) which will be about $2400 altogether, and I'll fit new pads all round myself.

Nothing else has caused issues - it's been at least as reliable as anything else I've owned.

I've had mine two years and apart from the passenger window regulator going its been fine. Just about to do the timing belt and 60000km service (at 45,000 km) which will be about $2400 altogether, and I'll fit new pads all round myself.

Nothing else has caused issues - it's been at least as reliable as anything else I've owned.

$2400? Why so much? Timing belt and all other accessories and labour shouldn't cost more than $1500 at the most (in my experience)

$2400? Why so much? Timing belt and all other accessories and labour shouldn't cost more than $1500 at the most (in my experience)

Yeah I forgot about the three engine mounts getting replaced too. My bad...

Yes it's considerably cheaper to do because it's easier to access unlike the Clio 172/182 as the great PaulV told me. I'd say 1k +/- .

But then yes you have mounts to do.