Counting down the years and months...

Rivmeister

Hi all,

Joined the forum as a future Megane owner. Previous cars were a 1970 VW Type 3 Fastback, 1995 Volvo 850 T5, 2001 FD RX-7 and now currently driving a 1997 Holden Rodeo ute. Why the upgrade? I'm off to the NT for a few years and wanted something that would be easy and cheap to run up there. The Megane is gonna have to wait until I get back, but having driven it (225 and 250) as well as most of the competition, I know it's the car of choice.

I recently went on a supercar drive day in Sydney:

http://www.adrenalin.com.au/sports-car-drive-day-sydney/nsw-sydney/motorsport/14058.

If you've got the spare cash and want a great day out, it's definitely worth the trip. All the cars are so different in their "personality" and how they hold the road. Amazing stuff, and a once in a lifetime thing to drive not one, but six great cars that would be out of reach for most of us.

Anyway, look forward to your thoughts and banter on the forum. If you buy a Volvo or Mazda and join the forums, you'll find me there too. :mrgreen:

Riv

Hi Riv,

Welcome aboard, hope you stick to your guns and obtain the pot of RS gold at the end.

All the best up North... stay in touch, especially if you spot ANY rs models up there - take a pic.

Cheers,

WOLF

much tuning and kitting up on the Volvo forums?

much tuning and kitting up on the Volvo forums?

Surprisingly, yes. I bought the 850 as it was a safe, reliable, powerful and luxurious car ($75k back in 1995 with 177kW - the engine choice of the current Focus). Still drive it today, but won't be bringing it with me as I'm not sure it'll be cheap to service or easy to find replacement parts in Katherine.

It rolls around like a tinny in rough seas around corners but it's still quite sporty with good performance (0-100kph in 7.5sec) and quite reliable. A lot of people do work them (Jim Richards and Brockie raced in them back in the 90s) as well as newer models, so there is a popular following despite the overall perception of Volvo drivers. Volvo has updated their image and moved away from the boxy look which has led to the increase in popularity of them. They'll never be as big as the big 3 European car manufacturers, but I'm sure they're not far behind.

Resale values would be similar to Renault. You wouldn't buy a Volvo unless you're looking for one, which makes it good for the buyer. You're getting a lot of car for the price, and the 850 has been a workhorse in the 6 years I've owned it.