(Not so) New RS 225 Owner

bac

Greetings to all from bayside Melbourne!

I've been lurking around these forums for a few months now and am finally getting around to introducing myself.

Picked up an RS 225 back in April, which is my first Euro experience. My previous two cars were a Laser TX3 Turbo AWD (magnificent car - unrivalled performance and handling for the money) and more recently a Focus ST170 (absolutely revved like the clappers, but missed the turbo grunt). I test drove a 2002 model Audi S3 (felt really solid but a somewhat uninspiring drive) and then a Clio 197 (great handling but not enough poke) before settling on the Meggy.

Initially I found the looks somewhat errm, challenging, but she has been growing on me. Certainly the driving experience helps a lot, now if only Renault made them in RWD I'd be in motoring heaven!

Anyway, the lady in question is a 2006 build 3 door in Monako Blue with 45K on the clock:

Meg_1.jpg?t=1278462977

Meg_2.jpg?t=1278463042

Meg_4.jpg?t=1278463120

Meg_3.jpg?t=1278463090

Mods thus far are an ITG panel filter in the original airbox, Forge intercooler, custom remap from Henk :hail: and of course the R26.R rear spoiler (courtesy of Wolf) which I think sets the car off nicely.

I have more grunt than available traction in 2nd at anything above 3.5K RPM, so future mods will be geared towards getting the power down more effectively and getting it to come on sooner in the rev range. Plans include looking at a high flow cat + new cat back exhaust and and maybe some 18" rims with sticky tyres when the ContiSport 2's wear out.

Thanks for all for the advice I've gleaned from the forums already and I hope to be able to make a contribution as time goes by.

Welcome Bac!

Nice selection of mods thus far - if I had a Meggy an R26.R spoiler would be at the top of my list! Looks great!

Do you know much about the history of the car? My dad (rob240) traded a blue 3-dr on an R26 down in Victoria about 18 months back.

Cheers,

Do you know much about the history of the car? My dad (rob240) traded a blue 3-dr on an R26 down in Victoria about 18 months back.

My car was first registered in Feb 2007 as a "Renault executive" company car at GWS in Ringwood and on-sold to its first private owner (the guy I bought it from) sometime later that year. I then picked it up in the last week of March this year.

So not the car you're thinking of, but there are a couple of other RS 225s similar to mine floating around the 'burbs of Melbourne at the moment. One nice looking one is up on CarSales: http://tinyurl.com/RSM-225-Monako-Blue

Very nice!!

Welcome to the forum :) I'm new to the meggy fold and can I say good well chosen mods.

How do u find the itg panel filter?

Very nice rear spoiler, almost tempting me to look into it with those pics.

Interested in hearing the aiding of traction as well!

Enjoy and hope your stay us a prolonged one

Welcome to the forum :) I'm new to the meggy fold and can I say good well chosen mods.

Thanks for that. I did a fair bit of research both here and on MeganeSport to work out what the best 'bang for buck' mods were before diving in.

How do u find the itg panel filter?

Not sure how much extra airflow or induction noise I can attribute to it, but at around $70 delivered for a high performance filter that should last the life of the car, it was an easy decision to make.

Very nice rear spoiler, almost tempting me to look into it with those pics.

If you do decide you want one, talk to Wolf - he managed to source mine at a good price.

hope your stay us a prolonged one

Thanks - I have a history of keeping cars for at least 5 years, so I should be around for quite a while unless the Meggy decides to fall to bits :shock:

Welcome BAC (sort of),

Finally get to see this in a pic. I especially like the wing from the rear, gives it a symetrical curve of sorts. So enjoy the car it's attached to, and cheers on the well chosen mods thus far.

WOLF

ps: send me an email whenever if you would like some directions to those options you're thinking of. :wink:

Welcome aboard the good ship OzRS! Good to see another Megane owner in Melbourne too.

That rear wing looks the biz 8)

May I ask what it cost to get painted?

My best mate had a ST170 as a track car, he's pretty quick in it too!

I only had mine for 18 months - it was a quickly sourced replacement for my treasured Laser (R.I.P.) The ST170 was pretty tractable for a N/A 2L car that winds out to 7,500 RPM, but I always felt it had a little too much push understeer. In fairness though, it could have been down to the crappy Indonesian :shock: tyres that I never got around to changing.

That rear wing looks the biz 8) May I ask what it cost to get painted?

I got two quotes - one for around $220 and the other came in at $330. Ended up going with the more expensive quote as the guy seemed really switched on. $30 of the $330 was a surcharge for Monako Blue, which is apparently one of the most expensive paint colours going around. :evil:

Also paid for 2 hours labour to have the old spoiler removed and the new one fitted, but having watched the guy work I'm confident I could have gone DIY.

ahh so you are the one with the R26R wing painted by Sime! He sure know his stuff and does some great work, he did my custom painted rims on my prev. ride before the RS too.

what bayside suburb do you reside in? anyway welcome hope to catch you round sometime!

cheers, anthony