Brissie noob - recommend me a mechanic?

Kitestyle2

Hi All,

Just got a 2002 Clio Sport this week. Loving the wee beastie and I'm having trouble keeping the keys off my wife too :mrgreen:

For a car that test drove perfectly I've already got 2 issues - intermittent speedo and hot air only from the climate control. Thanks to the guys here I know more or less how to fix both and already have the A/C blowing cold air.

The car has it's 100k service coming up and I guess I'll get both belts done. I need to find a good Renault mechanic in Brisbane (City or Northside).

Any recommendations for someone who does good work and charges a reasonable rate? I got $1200 off the listed purchase price and I'm hoping this will mostly cover it!

Anyway thanks again for all the invaluable info, great work guys.

Cheers,

Dave.

Welcome (officially) to the community :)

6 months after I finally got my rsc 182 cup, my wife put her foot down and got one of her own.. You may be fighting a losing battle, but good luck with it :D

Cheers Griffyn. We've just got back from OS and need a car each. She had a small 4x4 in mind (Vitara etc) so we could do beach missions, but now she's saying 'Why don't you get the 4x4 and I'll keep the Clio". Maybe I can can work this right, she can keep the Sport and I'll get myself a 172. :mrgreen:

ummm... or maybe a 182 .....cup.

Cheers,

WOLF

ps: just tell her it's ever so slightly larger and uses just a bit more fuel. The track is a little wider, so technically true...heheh. :wink:

ps2: oh, and welcome aboard. :)

Welcome! Glad you & the wife are enjoying the car, but from experience, 2 RENAULTsports are better than one :wink:

Go for it! :mrgreen:

Well the story continues...

I fixed the air con using the 2 cable tie method last weekend. Lots of swearing involved - too hot to be spending hours kneeling beside the car with your head at a funny angle. Got it done though and working beautifully, the photos and descriptions from guys here really made it easy for a semi-competent tinkerer like me.

The speedo seems to work 90% of the time so I can live with that. Think I've located the sender and I'll have a little play with it later today, clean the contacts and reseat. [edit.. done, seems ok for the moment..]

The next big thing is the car flooded during the week with lots of water in mainly the front left footwell. Seems like the front drain hole issue as it's wet under the foam up the front behind the centre console. Carpets are mostly dry now but there's plenty of small drops and moisture in the foam sound deadening stuff. Hoping this will dry over time so I don't have to strip everything out - a long and painful job by the looks of it.

So now I have the wiper with 2 bolts off but the single one is proving to be a b.... PITA. Went to Supacrap to look for a cheap 2 leg puller (as per advice in the flooding thread) but the cheapest was $30 and I wasn't happy to pay that. So now I'm taking a break and going back to rip up my hands some more. At the moment I have one end of the cover off and I can't see the drain hole at all, so I'm hoping it will become clear with a better angle.

I'm starting to wonder whether I should be angry with the seller. I asked specifically if there were any faults, small or large. He said "No, it's perfect." In a week and a half I've had the air con and speedo fail and now the flooding. I can't really see any reason to contact him and complain, but part of me wants to. :bitch:

So I worked out why my car was flooding, and also why I couldn't see the drain hole. That plastic part mounted in the base was actually this:

8V6Xl.jpg

sitting up out of where the hole should be (hook in hole, round bit visible) with a nice plug of mud surrounding it and perfectly flush with the metal, making it look like it belonged there.

After some head scratching I found it's one of the clips from the small top plastic cover (left one) which has snapped off - obviously a fair while ago to be bedded in like it was.

So... no more flooding for this Clio! :mrgreen:

PS keep sharing info guys, without this site I would probably have been in a very different and unhappy position with this car right now. As it is I'm 2 for 2 on the fixes and pretty happy. :hail:

I'm starting to wonder whether I should be angry with the seller. I asked specifically if there were any faults, small or large. :bitch:

Heh.. I also got a 172 not that long ago. I was well aware of what was wrong with the car when I bought it (I've only been caught out by the rear wheel bearings). Now I've changed the gearbox, fixed the aircon, fixed the windscreen crack (I knew all needed work), knowing the problems first doesn't always change the outcome, it just gets more confusing! Maybe I should ring the guy and ask for a retrospective discount "hey, you know how I said the gearbox was stuffed - well it really was! I was right!! :shock::?