The Search Function

1233Z

Hi Guys,

I apologise for using this website but i feel more comfortable here. As you may know i recently sold my RSC and i just bought a MY08 WRX and joined a WRX forum. Now, i suppose i don't spend a lot of time on forums probably because i'm not so technically minded and i'm a bit crap at forum ettiquette and was hoping you can help.

As it is with this forum i think that more than 90% of items or issues regarding the RSC has been discussed at length in some way or another. So unless youre doing a complete rebuild its pretty much guaranteed that your query is in the forum somewhere.

Generally, what i do is a quick search on the issue or query and if the query is not in the title and/or embedded in a long post about something else i would generally start a new thread.

What happens in this case, is that long term posters come back and spank you with the seach function and that you should do proper searches prior to starting a new thread.

If thats the case most of the time, wont the forum just become a google search engine for nosy RSC owners rather a forum whereby owners feel free to come and chat about their car and joys or perils of ownership?

ive always found with the seach function that if you type your criteria into the seach box it brings up alot of unrealted threards but if you go into the part of the form you think it will be in (ie I.C.E. or Clio II technical) and type it you will have better results

also use " " when you type in multiple words that you want to find linked like "acoustic valve removal" or similar or even "front speakers" and "amp"

usually works for me

also most of the itme the forum members who know where the thread was go and find it and post it for you rather than biting ones head off.

hope that helps a bit

A lot of forums will give better more relevant results if you type "AND" in the middle of multiple words.

eg. instead of searching for "front speakers" try "front AND speakers" .

PS: I just tried the above searches and got 2179 matches for "front speakers", but only 68 for "front AND speakers" :wink:

A lot of forums will give better more relevant results if you type "AND" in the middle of multiple words.

eg. instead of searching for "front speakers" try "front AND speakers" .

PS: I just tried the above searches and got 2179 matches for "front speakers", but only 68 for "front AND speakers" :wink:

It sounds like i may be just doing the wrong searches. Most of the time i'll do a quick search and if i get 2000 hits with no titles relating to the query then i would usually just start a new thread.

1233Z, admittedly the php Search function isn't a patch on Google-type search engines, so it's a matter of patience and using it smartly as murcod & Chris pointed out.

No need to apologise for using this website mate! It's nice to know that you feel comfortable enough to come back here for advice etc, even though you've moved on from your Renault to another brand/model.

...and BTW, being a long-term poster doesn't entitle one to be less courteous to newbies, or anyone else for that matter.

Sometimes people snap after they get a little tired of hearing the same topic come up again and again (insurance anyone? flat battery perhaps? LOL) so for the more common topics a simple search will more than likely provide a sufficient choice to research further.

The forum will be one giant list of sticky topics once everything is covered! HA! That'll be the day...

:D

• 3 weeks later...

This is a topic I can relate to.

More from an observers point of view.

I hate it when a new forum member asks a question, and one of the old hats jumps on them, saying its all been covered before. Even more so, without supplying a link to the relative thread. (When they could probably find it easily........rather than just saying......"Use the Search Function".

What is the point in that.

I know of one very friendly forum, where you can go on and ask a "stupid" question, and get a responce with many links to the answers you seek within half an hour, and not be chastised in the slightest.

Thats how it should be. :wink: