Clio 197 Sport Mk3 brake pad wind back

Pescado99

Same rear calipers as a megane 3rs, I just used a large screwdriver to turn it, but yes it a wind-in caliper and the correct tool will make life easier...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks, just watched a few vids on Megane 3RS pad changes (can't find any specific to Clio 197 rears) - I understand I'll need a rewind tool for the rears because of the handbrake. Question, are both sides clockwise? And will I also need a pad compression tool, or is the full rewound (screwed in) piston enough to allow new pads to go in?

I can't recall but I normally use a set of Irwin quik grips for compression rather than any special tools, heaps easier and they're useful for other things!

Thanks, ended up buying a wind back/compression tool kit, only $24 AUD (the 21 piece kit all over eBay). Still saving heaps over a mechanic. I'll use it on the kids 07 Forester when the time is near for new pads.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, confirming BOTH sides screw in clockwise for rear pads on a Mk3 (2007), Clio 197. Rather than pump back through to the fluid reservoir, I used the bleed nipple and a tube. I also re lubricated both slider pins as well. All good. Now to g-e-n-t-l-y bed them in! Next job, the front Brembo's...

• 4 weeks later...

New pads on old rotors…? Keep an eye on them, all modern euros should really have rotors and pads done together as they wear equally as fast. 

I didn’t watch the whole thing, but hope you checked the rotor thickness, and even if it was ok now its very unlikely to still be a safe thickness by the time those new pads are half worn.

Yep, agree it's a risk. I put my digital calipers on the rotors and they were above the minimum wear limit (which is 9mm). I bedded them in gently over about 600 km after the change - they did not appear warped and the car has never seen a track. And yes, will certainly keep an eye on rotor wear, but as they're solids and on the rear it's less of a risk.