My first Renault Clio 172

937racing

Morning Renault Enthusiasts,

I may or may not have accidentally purchased myself a Clio 172. It looked alright, drove well for the condition its in and needs some work. Right up my alley. This is my first Renault, I've looked at Megane 225's and Clio's before but never bought one until recent. Well yesterday actually. I have a passion for Alfa Romeo's and own a few of those, but was always interested in other lightweight nimble front wheel drive cars. Being a mechanic by trade I can do all the work myself, so that part will be easy to sort out. I'm yet to even look over the Clio to see what it needs exactly, but I'm thinking I could use it as a second trackday toy. I take my Alfa's to the track frequently and intend to do the same with the Clio just to see how capable it is. The car came with 2 sets of wheels and all the tyres are bald. I reckon I'll start with some 200TW tyres and get all the maintenance up to scratch. Maybe some different brake pads up front so I dont cook the brakes and roll it 3 times on the first time out. Im a Brisbane local, so Lakeside and QLD raceway are the tracks I usually visit.

Things to upgrade on the Clio that were never up to scratch from day one? Anyone local who also does trackdays? Any common issues I should be aware of?

If anyone has any go fast bits for a Clio 172 let me know

Will post some pictures after I wash it as it looks like a mess at the moment

IMG_0351.JPG

IMG_0360.JPG

Edited by 937racing
  • Like 1

Welcome mate! Nice little 172 pickup there.

Yes uprated front pads and decent fluid are a good first mod for these cars if you’ll be tracking. Something like DS2500’s will do the job nicely.

There are a few Alfa tragics amongst us here. So you’re in good company.

The SEQ guys just had a Sunday RS bakery run. A good day that you missed. They also have a regular weeknight catchup, something that us Vics can only dream about at the moment.. Details for both are in the Social Events section. 

9 hours ago, Moosey said:

Welcome mate! Nice little 172 pickup there.

Yes uprated front pads and decent fluid are a good first mod for these cars if you’ll be tracking. Something like DS2500’s will do the job nicely.

There are a few Alfa tragics amongst us here. So you’re in good company.

The SEQ guys just had a Sunday RS bakery run. A good day that you missed. They also have a regular weeknight catchup, something that us Vics can only dream about at the moment.. Details for both are in the Social Events section. 

Sweet, yeah im doing all the fluids regardless. it came with a fresh service, but im changing the oil so I know whats in it. On my Alfa's I run ds2500 equivalent or higher. Still street-able but good on track.