New Renault Sport RS 225 Owner

Frostwa

Hi All,

As a new owner of my first renault sport I thought i'd join up to the forum to learn a bit more about the car and get some experienced advice along the way

Only owned it for 5 days and absolutely love it

Recently sold my GSXR 1000 and decided i wanted a sporty car that could make me laugh my head off like the bike did and test drove a RS250 Cup and loved it but then this came along and it ticked all the boxes!

It came with an RSTuner so looking to have a play with that in the near future

2019-09-11 17.47.06.jpg

• Like 8

Welcome! Looks like a neat example. If you haven’t already, you can cut the backbox for a nice noise with pops and bangs (although beware the drone at 70 in third). And hopefully you have nice fresh engine mounts?

5 hours ago, hamstrung said:

Welcome! Looks like a neat example. If you haven’t already, you can cut the backbox for a nice noise with pops and bangs (although beware the drone at 70 in third). And hopefully you have nice fresh engine mounts?

Well that is the advise I am looking for right there !! Thanks @hamstrung

Not sure about the engine mounts, will have to take a look.

"Cut the backbox" Do you mean disconnect the exhaust at the entry to the rear box? the straight pipe?

The engine mounts wear out after about 50k and cause lots of harshness, not to mention sloppy handling. So definitely worth checking.

The exhaust comes stock with resonator and muffler (or back box), which makes the car very quiet. Many people get rid of one or the other, my personal preference is to keep the resonator which gives you the turbo whistle, though others would vouch for keeping the muffler instead to avoid any drone. A piece of straight pipe can be welded in for the removed component, I think people here have got it done at exhaust places for around $100-120.

My original system rusted out so I replaced it with a ktec 70mm cat back. It’s LOUD but sounds incredible.

• Like 1

On 18/09/2019 at 7:22 AM, hamstrung said:

The engine mounts wear out after about 50k and cause lots of harshness, not to mention sloppy handling. So definitely worth checking.

The exhaust comes stock with resonator and muffler (or back box), which makes the car very quiet. Many people get rid of one or the other, my personal preference is to keep the resonator which gives you the turbo whistle, though others would vouch for keeping the muffler instead to avoid any drone. A piece of straight pipe can be welded in for the removed component, I think people here have got it done at exhaust places for around $100-120.

My original system rusted out so I replaced it with a ktec 70mm cat back. It’s LOUD but sounds incredible.

Thanks heaps!

@hamstrung Do you have a video or something so I can hear the sound of yours, def want a bit more noise, not obnoxious but a nice note that doesn't sound like I'm driving a fridge

No worries :)

I don't have a vid of my own car, but here are a couple I used to make the decision myself:

If you like subtle, go for the Milltek system. K-tec takes this system and adds their own muffler for the 70mm cat back, but the Milltek muffler is bigger, heavier and therefore more liveable everyday. I do love how mine sounds, but it really isn't subtle.

Also... be aware that it's just cheaper to cut the muffler from stock and weld in straight pipe. A cat back system will set you back easily $1100+. If it's just for sound... I'd save the $1k for something else :)

• Like 1