Problems with the 172?

MediocreGR

Hey all, 

New to this forum as I currently own an Alfa 😬. I've had a love affair with hot hatches since I was a kid so naturally, the Clio Sport was next on my list! I'm looking at a few 172s in the coming weeks and was wondering what to look out for? 

• Timing belt?
  • Gear synchros?
  • How much should I expect to pay if the timing belt needs doing? 
  • Anything else I should look for?

Thanks guys!

• Like 1

All of the above... haha

Budget the best part of $1,800 for belts and get everything done at the same time: dephaser, harmonic balancer, water pump, both belts and tensioners, all idlers and pulleys, thermostat.

Gear synchros do wear but the bigger problem is oil leak through the selector shaft. A small leak is common.

The SERV+airbag light is common and easy to DIY fix.

Otherwise check the tyres are both roadworthy and good. Cheap tyres ruin the handling.

• Like 1

I’d say ignore selector shaft leak. It’s nothing really important. Take a few years to lower the gear box oil level. Just change it every now and again eg 4-5 years. Of course if is really running that’s another thing [emoji846] bit never really heard of this.

I think it all gets down to history and who looked after the car. Mine is a 2002 into my keeping 2005. It’s in excellent condition and presents very well for a 16-17 year old car and still goes very well which when you think about it is pretty amazing. It’s because I look after it. Hard to find one owned for 13 odd years. I’d go with a higher price car from the forum with a owner with a high post count. ‘Virtually’ guarantees a quality car as their presence in the ‘community’ carries value. Their knowledge is present and their commitment measurable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, Mase said:

I’d go with a higher price car from the forum with a owner with a high post count. ‘Virtually’ guarantees a quality car as their presence in the ‘community’ carries value. Their knowledge is present and their commitment measurable.

Thanks mate, I'll keep this in mind. There's more on this forum then the whole of carsales and gumtree combines haha