Looking At Buying A 172 Sport

MrTatems

Hi all, as stated in the title I'm looking at purchasing a 2003 172 sport.

I've read most of the other 172 threads to get info on what I should look for but on top of that i have a few queries.

Firstly how many kms would one expect to get from a reasonably well serviced 172? the one I'm looking at has 170k kms on the clock atm. 

Also how is the rear suspension configured? from the few pictures I've seen it looks like there is a separate spring and dampener, if this is the case is it possible to put all in one coilovers in and how would I go about this?

finally one could assume that it is quite fuel efficient but some real world numbers involving spirited country driving would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Tate

Hi all, as stated in the title I'm looking at purchasing a 2003 172 sport.

I've read most of the other 172 threads to get info on what I should look for but on top of that i have a few queries.

the one I'm looking at has 170k kms on the clock atm. 

Also how is the rear suspension configured? from the few pictures I've seen it looks like there is a separate spring and dampener, if this is the case is it possible to put all in one coilovers in and how would I go about this?

finally one could assume that it is quite fuel efficient but some real world numbers involving spirited country driving would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Tate

Firstly how many kms would one expect to get from a reasonably well serviced 172? There is a few examples on here with well over 200km, the biggest killer is unchanged timing belts. The clutches also last a long time so chances are @  170k it has the original clutch. Depending on how it's been driven this could last another 1000 km or 50,000km..

Also how is the rear suspension configured? from the few pictures I've seen it looks like there is a separate spring and dampener, if this is the case is it possible to put all in one coilovers in and how would I go about this?

I'm not sure on this one, but there is coil over kits for this car  for both front a rear so I guess it depends on what kit you get...

finally one could assume that it is quite fuel efficient but some real world numbers involving spirited country driving would be much appreciated. when I had my 172 I would usually get in the 7.5/8 l/100km range. I have a pretty heavy foot and often give it a bit of a squirt through traffic (everyday). I've now sold the car and it is now returning less than 6.5l/100km under a careful foot.

Thanks for that mate, going to have a look at it later today so ill be able to see what the device history is like and when the last belt was changed. Also 8L/100 thats defiantly respectable considering whats on tap, and I assume it required 98 ron because of the high comp ratio?  

I actually alternated between 100 octane e10, vpower, ultimate, and 95 freedom e10

No discernable difference between those fuels performance wise, but the 95 e10 did idle a bit rougher, economy was worse with both e10's.

other peoples opinions on fueling will be different, but officially these cars only require 95.