screen resolution

Dish

What screen resolution do you USUALLY view this forum with?  

1. 1. What screen resolution do you USUALLY view this forum with?

• 800x600 (or smaller)
    • 1024x768
    • 1280x1024
    • 1600x1200 (or larger)
    • I don't know

Hi all,

Just a quick survey to see what screen resolution you generally use when viewing this site, in order to refine the graphics and any future image uploads etc.

Does anyone know how Windows XP/IE automatically reduces images to fit into a browser window? Can it be done here?

Cheers, Dish.

Dish,

Ive got stats I think of people's resolution, OS, browsers etc if you need it..

But generally as a rule when trying to stick by some sort of standards, 1024 x 768 is sufficient for designing.. or you can make it re-sizeable. Anything higher than that and your likely to knock out a huge percentage of your audience - alot of users dont even really know what 'resolution' is.

Most later versions of IE (i think 5.5 and up) automatically scale images.. but you also need to think of peoples badwidth as well - ie, are we mostly dial-up users or bradband users?.. Its best to cater for dialup users when designing for the web.

Some galleries also automatically resize the image based on how they are set up.. if thats what your looking for.

Thanks Brendan :)

I was thinking that 1024x768 was gonna be the most popular, but I just wanted to make sure. It wasn't that long ago that everyone was still using 800x600 afterall...

I know that Yahoo resizes pics on the fly, so that all the user sees is a reduced image, so it doesn't rescale for every individual's different settings. Kinda difficult when you want to upload/download a wallpaper image, which would be a nice thing to have here to share around. But apart from manually resizing and re-uploading, what could be done? I was also thinking perhaps if images could be sent to my attention, then I could resize them if required and post them into the proposed gallery when it all happens. Just a thought.

Thanks Brendan :)

I was thinking that 1024x768 was gonna be the most popular, but I just wanted to make sure. It wasn't that long ago that everyone was still using 800x600 afterall...

I know that Yahoo resizes pics on the fly, so that all the user sees is a reduced image, so it doesn't rescale for every individual's different settings. Kinda difficult when you want to upload/download a wallpaper image, which would be a nice thing to have here to share around. But apart from manually resizing and re-uploading, what could be done? I was also thinking perhaps if images could be sent to my attention, then I could resize them if required and post them into the proposed gallery when it all happens. Just a thought.

I think there are some php plugins and scripts that can re-size on the fly, have a look at a few of the gallery scripts available and see if you can find one with this option - http://php.resourceindex.com/ is a good source for scripts. Possibly even some of the phpbb addon script may do it, I havent looked into it enough to know.

Cheers

ex