Clio Newbie questions

blugg

Hi everyone, I'm looking out for a second hand 172 (either Mk1 or Mk2) and I wanted to know what the differences are between Mk1 and Mk2. Besides the cosmetic changes of course. Anything else?

No electronic climate control on the Mk1?

Is the Mk1 slightly lighter and faster? Has a more hard core feel? And only the Mk1 comes with Oz Wheels? What about the Mk2? I presumed it's more refined etc?

Sorry for the ignorant questions. Shopping around for a Clio soon :) Thanks!

Welcome to the forum Blugg!! :) The mkI RSC over here do have a more hardcore suspension setup, only have air con, not climate control, and I think just cloth trim interior? They also loose Xenon headlights and side airbags. The mkI's also get a lighter alloy (?) bonnet and heatshield free front windscreen (lighter). I think that's the lot, but I might've missed on a few things??

I personally think the mkII's look alot better, lights and front bumper, so I guess it's down to personal choice and budget. The interior, as far as I know, are identical.

The mkI's bought into Australia 1/85 etc are the closest to UK spec clio cup you can get here at the moment. The 182 cup's here are just a normal 182, with cup suspension, no lighter etc.

I think the 1/85 Clio Cups that were bought here were direct imports from UK, thus are the same spec.

i have bene up against a type R in the staright offf the lights we had a little bit of fun.

left him in my wake from the line. he was still revving out first while i was changing to second, he caught ground here slightly, but when i was into second and he just got further back

i was PM'ing "crackers" he said he has a mate with a type R, and has had repeated wins over him

Anyone here gone up against a Type R before? On the twisties or straight? How does the RSC compare. I know I'm going to get bias opinions here! :D

In addition the MKI also loses ABS, Side airbags and spare wheel. All weight saving stuff. Otehrwise same engine, same gear box etc.

Which Type R? I drove a DC2 for about 2 years and a bit... I must say one of the worst perforamnce car I've ever driven, mostly because we don't live next to the Ring, and can spare a couple hours each day going to it.

Welcome to the forum Blugg!! :) The mkI RSC over here do have a more hardcore suspension setup, only have air con, not climate control, and I think just cloth trim interior? They also loose Xenon headlights and side airbags. The mkI's also get a lighter alloy (?) bonnet and heatshield free front windscreen (lighter). I think that's the lot, but I might've missed on a few things??

I personally think the mkII's look alot better, lights and front bumper, so I guess it's down to personal choice and budget. The interior, as far as I know, are identical.

You nearly got it right Jo Jo...personally I love the Mk1's looks at the front much better than the Mk2, not to mention the F1 Oz 15"s.

The Mk1's interiors are completely different to the Mk2, has a much more rounded look. The dials are white(orange at night) and the increments are nice @ 60/80/100 and much easier to read than the Mk2. Leather/Alcantara standard with side bags and ABS/EBD. No ESP so that makes it more chuckable!

Interior is done with yellow/red/blue Renaultsport logos stitched into the front seats, against the mk2s logo in standard grey cloth.

Bonnet is lighter, contributing to the 1035kg weight. I read somewhere Mk2's were slightly up at 1090kgs, but all mags, brochures etc say 1035, who knows. Around a track would tell comparing standard cars.

What state are you in? There's a nice iceberg silver 81/85 going in Sydney for $23k with 38kms.. quite a good buy IMHO.

Good luck, you won't be disappointed with whatever model you get!

:lol:

David

CUP02L

3/85

Anyone here gone up against a Type R before? On the twisties or straight? How does the RSC compare. I know I'm going to get bias opinions here! :D

In addition the MKI also loses ABS, Side airbags and spare wheel. All weight saving stuff. Otehrwise same engine, same gear box etc.

Karl,

The Mk1 has all of these, including OZ F1 full spare, same Michelin Pilot Sport :wink:

DC

Hi guys, ok I took a look at the specs on Drive (not sure how accurate they are).

Mk1 has side air bags but looses Xenons only?

What the heck is ESP? That's in addition to the EBD on the Mk2s?

Sorry for the ignorance again. My first euro car. I used to drive an S14 :) I miss the rush of the turbo.

Re: The TYPE R - I was actually also considering a DC2 R. It's a great track car isn't it? Why the worst performance car?

I live in Melb btw :)

David:

it has??? hmmm from Euro sites, they don't. Oh well, that's nice then! yes teh F1 EVO cup wheels look the stuff! well then at least weight saving bonnet. and funcky Uma Thurman steering wheel, very nice gear nob.

okay at least the DC 2 is an honest Type R, one worthy of that badge. I say its the worst performance car I have driven, i'm talking about it as in a road car on a whole. it would be great on a track where you can always rev to 6 grand, and play between that and 8.5. but i certainly never found time to go to track with it, nor did my friend who owned it. even if we did it'd be once or twice a year.

The rest of the time it is spend drivng from home to work, to uni, pick up the pizza. And honestly... when will you get it up to 6000 rpm on any of those trips? And below that, there is nothing, it struggles uphill, drinks lots of petrol because its only a 1.8 and you have to be pulling very low gears to go anywhere up. You can't out calss another car to avoid the anoying car parked in your lane right after the red light because by the time power comes out, you've already hit it. So its utterly useless in the city, or on a normal road. About the onyl palce where you can fang it is a mountain pass, and i just live near one of those.

On the upside, it's well built, comes with all the bits and pieces, liek strut braces and sway bars and LSD and what have you, even got builtin points for that 3point harness. Seats are proper racing seats, but that's the problem we drove it to Melb... and never ever will I want to do that again!

for weight saving, honda has removed sound insulation, there's barley any fire protection, the engine is noisy, at 100km/h you are doing about 3 and half thousand rpm... *shakes head* honda can't make proper road going performance cars full stop.

and if you want aircon, cd player etc... opps the weight is back... the Clio manages the same performance with all the comfrot stuff, and it is possible to hum around the city in 5th and bareley over 2000 rpm, and still go up an incline.

ESP is pretty much a complete electronic package that includes EBD. basically it cuts off power to you when it senses you are about to die. A lot of peple do't like it... i think the Clio version is alright, not intrusive at all. But you do tend to get relied on it... so i sometimes swtich it off. But I don't think it robs you of any fun.

Hey Blugg,

I'm in Melbourne and have a mk2 thats done about 48000K thats for sale. I'm getting a company car and my g/f also has a mk2 so two in the garage isn't necessary.

If your interested call me on 0409185087 and we can have a chat. I'm starting to get pretty despreate to part with mine as I don't want to pay for a car i'm not driving anymore.

Regards

Mick

• 2 weeks later...