Bitter Sweet 172 As Well

LigLury,Jr

Hi all,

Thought I’d let you in on my Renault experience so far.

I’ve always liked the Clio Sport & finally talked my partner into letting me get one. Found a 172 last Dec in very good condition, had two test drives and all seemed good.

Well, within 15mins of picking the car up the aircon fan stopped working. Searched the forum and found the link about using a $6 Mosfet from JayCar to fix it, thanks Nat.

Had the Climate Control working again for 2.5 days before it suddenly started blowing hot air. Back to the forum & fixed that issue with two cable ties around the female socket of the heater solenoid actuator. That would rate as one of the most frustrating jobs I’ve had to do on a car, 1 hour to get the last case screw in location!!

Now the fan blows constantly, but at least I can control the temperature, I’m guessing it's a problem with the cabin temp sensor?

A couple of weeks ago the harmonic balance pulley gave up. Had the car towed to Manta Race Services where Steve replaced the Harmonic Balance pulley, put on a new accessory belt kit and Timing belt kit. The team at Manta were great!

The funny thing is even with all the issues the car still makes me smile when I drive it.

Crossed fingers everything else seems ok.

Great forum guys.

Daryl

The funny thing is even with all the issues the car still makes me smile when I drive it.

Crossed fingers everything else seems ok.

Great forum guys.

Daryl

Welcome, and thankyou for your kindness.

Hope you keep grinning for a while yet :D

A couple of weeks ago the harmonic balance pulley gave up. Had the car towed to Manta Race Services where Steve replaced the Harmonic Balance pulley, put on a new accessory belt kit and Timing belt kit. The team at Manta were great!

Welcome aboard. The "issue" with the Harmonic balancer may not be anything more than normal wear and tear - the accessory belts are due for replacement after 3 years and the timing belt etc after 4 years (one of which includes the balancer IIRC). If they haven't been done (probably twice by now given it's a 172) then it's not really a surprise it needed replacing and you could be lucky the timing belt didn't go - catastrophic if it had!

Great to hear you're enjoying the driving experience though :)

Welcome to the pain that is the 'quality' of French built cars, combined with the cost of repairing French cars.

You'll get indredibly frustrated time and time again.... only to fall back in love with the car each time you take it for a squirt around a mountain :P

Hi Daryl,

Hopefully the worst is behind you. Just make sure to stay on top of the servicing as you have experienced what can happen when it lapses.

Do you any other info, stats, kms, colour...and best of all...pics.

Anyways, keep smiling, enjoy the drive, and wish you better luck in the future.

Cheers,

WOLF