SITE CHANGES - HOSTING

PaulD

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*applause*

Word up, PaulD! I shall see you on a Monday night also, in my Japanese four door sedan. :D

Today was a fantastic day to remind of a few things:

- cars a cool

- driving is cool

- driving with other cars is cool

- driving with other drivers is cool

I had many comments and agape looks at what a great turnout we had, and no one confused the Echo's with the Clio's either :lol:

Certainly, I think we can all agree that a nice drive on a Sunday afternoon is something we can all enjoy, yeah!?

I made a point of speaking to the other clubs that came, and many similar stories were heard. They all have a thread like this one, they all have problems with people not searching before they post, etc etc. The lessons i'm hearing are: baby steps are needed, and DON'T TAKE IT ALL TOO SERIOUS!

Peace out. 8)

Ok, time for an update..

As well as the new forum topics, I have singed up for a secure PayPal account, which a link will be going in the site when we have the new front page..

So, my thinking for how this will pan out. I will place a link on the page which will allow you to make a donation. Given the costs for running the site will be only $200 per year (hosting and domain reg) for the forseeable future, I would like to only accept donations of UNDER $10.

This is not a competition for who can 'buy' the site etc, and who can be the 'favourite' member, but a good will gesture to keep the site running. I will say it again for the record. If you dont contribute, you wont be kicked out, and no one else will know how much you have contributed. If no one pays (eeek), then I will foot the bill myself. I love you all that much :wink:

So, to be transparent, I will post the current tally of the account status, (and post a link if no one trusts me) and whatever surplus monies we have will be divied up by states, and pay for a lunch or beers or whatever floats the collective boat.

If i should become unfit to continue the task of holding this account, then another member will take my place.

In other news, our web host has backed up the database, and attempted a dummy swap from old to new host. All went well. In the next few days, the site may be locked or unavilable while the real swap happens.. Sorry for the inconvenience..

Graphics have excahnged hands, and the new look site will be available for all to see.. The beauty of having a html front page is that even I can update and make changes as per your requests!! Something I cannot do with the phbbb database and skin.. :shock:

So, not long now till we have what we want.. Well, most of us..

PaulD

Have also downloaded a fully customisable gallery add in for phpbb..

So will will have general galleries, and each member will have a personal gallery which we can browse and rate each photo!!

We will have to set up some limits for size and format of pictures.. If size becomes a problem, we can prune, or keep only thumbnails of old pics.. I dont want the gallery to look like the dogs breakfast that is Yahoo..

Thanks for all your support guys.. I think all this debate (positive and negative) has been a good thing..

It was probably the boot in the a*** we needed to get some movement at the station :) hehe

animout

• 2 weeks later...

We now have a gallery :D

http://www.ozrenaultsport.com/gallery/index.php

havent been able to access the ftp page for the site to add the link to the main page. It looks at this stage that you have to create another account to log into this gallery.

I have found a thread on the gallery forum on how to link user accounts from a forum to the gallery.. It seems like an advanced procedure, so may take me a while to sort out. But its here, and let me know what you think!

PaulD

OK, the gallery should now work with your existing log in..

So for those new users (who havent used the gallery yet), please click on 'gallery' on main page, and let me know if it knows who you are...

Next step is the skin for the main forum.. will try to make it look the same as the front page...

Watch this space.. :D

Guys I have also installed a new skin that you can all see.. Before I make it the only skin available, do to your 'profile' and change your skin from 'subsilver' to 'morpheus grey'..

Any comments? There are so many to choose from.. we need to decide on a skin, then we can modify it with our own logo etc...

:D

Nice to see this all coming together at last! Great work fellas! :D

Just a couple of things I'd like to say and a couple more I'd like to query...

- links between the different categories would be handy so that one doesn't need to go back to the homepage to select the Gallery (or FAQ) when looking in the forum, or vice versa.

- I miss the "View next thread" & "View previous thread" buttons from the other skin, which are no longer present in the Morpheus version (and is Morpheus now the default for new members or those who don't automatically log in?)

- we need to address how we structure the FAQs... and what needs to be included

- did all the Megane boys (and girls?) see any of this debate having been in the Clio section? Not that there's many of em (no offence fellas! Just stating the facts)

- now that most of this has been done & dusted, should this thread be moved to the "website feedback" section?

Cheers, Dish.

now that most of this has been done & dusted, should this thread be moved to the "website feedback" section?

Cheers, Dish.

Done. We can move it back if others disagree. I've moved the poll to this section as well.

Dish,

I agree with the skins.. When i have actually used the morpheus skin, it is a little awkward to use.. i just want to find something nice and fresh but can still incorporate the font page colours, graphics etc..

Will have a better look at what other skins are available.

Yes, i think its time to move this thread to website feedback..

Just a friendly reminder, there is now a 'donation' button on the forum page to allow you to make donations to running the site.. Thanks!

Thanks fellas. With the skins, one thing I find is that a pale blue background is much easier on the eye when reading either an LCD or a CRT screen.

I like the "techno" looks of the Morpheus skin, and the previous looked a little dated perhaps, but this can get a little tiring cos of the greater contrast. Just my 2 pixels :wink:

But can those view next/previous buttons be added to this?

Cheers, Dish.

Ok, Have had another look at a website with free skins (templates)

Could i please have feedback on the following templates:

http://www.phpbbhacks.com/templatesdemo/

try:

Alexis orange

Qujibo

Invision Blus

FI Silver

vB New

or this link (New)

http://www.phpbbdesigns.com/index.php?style=170

Or we could go with a Nuke Mod, to give the page more capability (foum plus links etc..)

http://www.stylesdb.com/screenshots/php ... helius.jpg

Once we have another of these online, Rex can modify the template with our header and donation button and any other colours or features we want..

Thanks for your help :D

Hey Paul, the templates I really liked were the Invision Blus, and the FI Silver. vB New also looked ok.

Of the remaining two links, the first looked a little bland with the grey, but the Nuke Mod looked pretty cool, if only a little 'busy' with soo many links etc, but it still could work as the forums growing growing growing.

Hope that helps a little.

Thanks for the feedback JoJo

Hey out of interest... Everyone check out http://www.opelaus.com

Check out the poll in the right hand column of the page.. seems they are going through EXACTLY the same experience we have recently.. ie, which direction they want to go.. Quite interesting to see.. I also note the layout they have with the broken columns and links to FAQs etc.. which i really like..

Comments?

Funny to see that Opel were looking at taking a different direction too.

Their site's ok, but the ***important news*** and ***announcement*** links/text look really crappy and ruin the overall look and feel of the site, also needs a colour overhaul - white and light-blue??? Meh this forum looks alot better and tidier! :P

• 1 month later...

G'day Guys,

First of all, I should say hello as this is my first post on this forum all though I do read it quite often....

The dilemma you guys are facing is an interesting one and is almost the reverse situation that the RCCV faces...

You are trying to take the steps to go from a purely online identity to becoming a 'club' that can participate in events and motorsport etc...

The RCCV on the otherhand is trying to entice new members that are currently only 'online' enthusiasts by offering them the tools (committee infrastructure, insurance, CAMS membership etc) to legally oraganise and participate in cruises, motorsport and carshows etc...

It is a sign of the times and the busy lives we lead that online communities are so popular and 'traditional' clubs are struggling but it is important that we find a way to work together to ensure a future for both.

The problem is that when people hear the words, 'working together' they automatically get on the defensive, but it's important we look at the positives.

The benefits for your members will be that $50 per year would allow you to organise and promote cruises without fear of legal repercutions should something go pear shaped (and possibly get a few more attendees from the clubs base membership).

Membership would also allow you to get a CAMS licence and participate in any multiclub sprint/hilclimb/motorkhana you wish to...

The benefit for the club would be an increase in members and this would result in more club motorsport events etc...

Sounding Ok so far right?

But it's not so simple...

Does it mean that non members can no longer just rock up for a cruise?

How do we fuse the groups together?

Will you be a member of the RCCV(RCCA/RCCQ) or a member of Oz Renault Sport?

What happens if another forum becomes popular and want to use the tools of the RCCV (RCCA/RCCQ)?

It may become an infrastructure nighmare for what are essentially non-profit volunteer organisations...

Is there a realistic solution, I'd like to think we can come to some arrangment?

What does the RCCA have planned?

We all love our Renault's and we all want to continue enjoying them...

I think the time has come to sit down, sift through all the problems and make this work.

:shock:

whoa... first post - that's one helluva way to introduce yourself! G'day mistareno, and welcome aboard! Thanks for your input.

(We really do need a Hall Of Fame/Pool Room for memorable posts & quotes!)

Cheers, Dish.

whoa... first post - that's one helluva way to introduce yourself! G'day mistareno, and welcome aboard! Thanks for your input.

Cheers, Dish.

i'll second that... DAMN!!!

... hey dish, if you do have an awards night / pool room one i'm SO there for most annoying post(s) or most frequent starter of WWIII !!

:)

ringo

Cheers, Dish.

i'll second that... DAMN!!!

... hey dish, if you do have an awards night / pool room one i'm SO there for most annoying post(s) or most frequent starter of WWIII !!

:)

ringo

yap u should dress up in suit to take this award with your bloody MX-5! 8)

yap u should dress up in suit to take this award with your bloody MX-5! 8)

hehe... but it wouldn't fall apart on the way to the stage !!

... oh dear... i've really done it now!!

:lol:

ringo

The trim is an optional extra on all Renaults....It dilutes the experience :D