G'day - Clio Bad Vibrations...

GRK

Hi Guys

Ive purchased my 4th RS just lat month (a 2012 Clio RS 200 RB7), after having 2 x Clio Phase 2s and a Megane RS225 F1 back in my twenties...

Fun to be back behind the wheel of the go-kart...

Problem I have is that although the car has only done 30,000KM, it's likely been a hard track based 30...  The car develops a strong vibration when you hit around 80-100km (particularly when veering to the left).

Lots of advice out there with regards to CV boots leaking, engine mounts, gearbox mounts, checking the hubs for play, checking front lower arm bushes, warped discs, driveshaft...

Anyone had a similar problem or is there a suggestion in terms of which order to attack these checks?

Also trying to work out who the best guys in Brisbane would be to take it to?  Have had Lemans at Woolongabba and Superior Automotive at Albion suggested thus far.

Thanks in advance!

Guy

IMG_7059.jpg

Edited by GRK

Very nice looking car. Check the front ball joints and steering tie rods. Both are known to flog out. Possibly brake rotors but that is usually felt under braking. 

Are you sure the wheels and tyres are balanced correctly?

Hi Guys

Unfortunately the vibration existed when the car arrived but as all 4 tyres were pretty shot, I put 4 new tyres on, balanced and aligned and the problem still exists.  Even took it back to the guys to check the balancing (which was ever so slightly out). Chucked them back on and the issue continues...  Would a damaged or bent wheel be easy to spot?  All 4 look in good shape.

Edited by GRK

Just because the wheels look fine, doesn't mean they're true round. An elipse will balance fine but won't give smooth ride.

I had vibration issue with a car fitted with aftermarket wheels. Balancing was fine and they all looked okay but problem disappeared when I changed to OEM wheels.  

Also once had vibration at speed. Turned out to be the foam & plastic bit of engine undertray (Clio 182) peeling off the plastic bit and flapped around. Worth checking the underbody lining are tightened up properly as it is easy to do.

Clio 3 is pretty robust for track days use. Never had problem with mine after 15 track days or so. Maybe the previous owner hit hard a kerb or ditch?

I can vouch for Fred Hopkins' work. He did above and beyond what was needed. I'll drive Melb to Brisbane and return for him to work on my Clio again (go away COVID!).

• Like 1

I second the front to rear swap and test drive. You won’t need stands because you will easily get both wheels on one side off the ground at once from a single point lift.

I’m in Springfield and if you don’t buy a jack before the weekend, you are welcome to DM me and come over. I also have a set of spare wheels you could try if need be.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, GRK said:

Seriously? That’s really generous of you! 

will let you know how I go and will be in contact 

appreciate the support 👍

That's how we roll on OZRS, not like any of those silly facebum groups.....

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Another thing to check if all else fails is a warped hub. I had a similar problem on a MR2 many years ago and tried everything, even replacing the wheels and eventually found that one front hub was warped a few degrees but that was enough to cause the issue at certain speeds. This was discovered by a tyre dealer by spinning the hub with the wheel off and lining it up with some sort of instrument to detect variation.

No idea how that could happen in my case unless the previous owner hit a curb or something hard with that wheel or possibly a jack slipped and the hub hit the cement or whatever with the wheel off.

I realize this is unlikely but thought I would throw it in here anyway. 🙂

Edited by chris043

Hi Matt, Chris

Taking on both your ideas, the guys at Bridgestone Milton (where I purchased the 4 new tyres) are going to rotate the wheels and check the wheel hubs for damage for me tomorrow (free of charge).

Let you know how we go.

Thanks to everyone for their help thus far!

Guy

• Like 1

So the guys at Bridgestone believe it’s the rear wheel bearings, likely from the car having not been driven for 12-18 months.

they said both are really noisy around that speed and the vibration seems to be coming through the whole car rather than steering wheel.

any thoughts?

Apparently though, Renault only sell them with the disc so looking at $1050 to replace both.

seem legit ????

Thanks

guy

Contact @BNothling at Brakes Direct in Hendra.  Ben just sold me a full brake refresh for my Clio III and my daughter's Megane.  Rear rotors on their website are $99.97 each and they include the wheel bearings and ABS sensor rings- that's a bargain!

I fitted them myself.  It's not particularly difficult with the right tools but did require some ingenuity to press the bearings into the rotors.  The only part you will need to recycle is the C-clips from the old rotors to hold the bearings in place.  I could show you how to do it and loan tools but since I'm not a mechanic, I won't undertake work on the brake system of someone else's car.  As before, you're welcome to DM me if you want a hand.

So you'd be up for $200 in parts and probably only an hour labour at a competent workshop.  $1050 is a rip.

Edited by Caduceus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Actually, I've got another idea.  You can have my old ones.  The rotors were still within limits @ 9.5mm.  9mm is the minimum.  The bearings were still silky smooth.  You could transfer your old C-clips.  Let me know if you want them otherwise they will be going to the tip this weekend.

Edited by Caduceus
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, GRK said:

So the guys at Bridgestone believe it’s the rear wheel bearings, likely from the car having not been driven for 12-18 months.

they said both are really noisy around that speed and the vibration seems to be coming through the whole car rather than steering wheel.

any thoughts?

Apparently though, Renault only sell them with the disc so looking at $1050 to replace both.

seem legit ????

Thanks

guy

Rear wheel bearings flogging out is another very common issue. Rear rotors are usually expensive since the bearing is pressed inside the brake rotor. It can be done much more economically as mentioned above.

• Like 1

@Caduceus best news ever...  At $200 though, I figure I may as well invest in some brand news one.  Thank you very much again for the offer.  Genuinely amazing support around here!!!

@BNothling will call you in a tick and keep my fingers crossed this is the source of the issue.  Does kind of make sense though as the vibration is almost whole of car based, not steering wheel...

So final update after having it up on the hoist at Superior and the cause of the (not so) Good Vibrations are:

1. Front right wheel bearing
  2. Engine Mounts
  3. Torque Mounts

Add to that a Cam belt and water pump and there's better things Id'd rather be spending the money on.

That said, it will be nice to be rolling smoothly!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GRK said:

So final update after having it up on the hoist at Superior and the cause of the (not so) Good Vibrations are:

1. Front right wheel bearing
  2. Engine Mounts
  3. Torque Mounts

Add to that a Cam belt and water pump and there's better things Id'd rather be spending the money on.

That said, it will be nice to be rolling smoothly!

Welcome to Clio 3 ownership. All things mentioned are common things that will need to be replaced. It can add up quickly sadly, but once it's fixed enjoy it

• Like 1

To be fair, its a 10 year old car, with a hard (tracked based) 30,000KMs on it, that feels like it's never had any love from the previous owner.  Guess I kind of new what I was probably getting myself into.  Hard to put a price on a little car that can leaving you smiling and laughing just about every drive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, khfotographie said:

Hey mate. How did they diagnose the front wheel bearing? Any particular method? 

It was Fred at Superior Automotive. He probably just gave the car a cuddle and asked it where it was hurting. The man is a genius.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

So after picking her back up from her date with @FredV6 on Friday, where she had a new cam belt / water pump, as well as front right wheel bearing, engine and torque mounts and a new set of sparks (should have seen the old ones), I hit Mt Nebo yesterday with my son.  Fitting that it was father's day and that the last time he and I drove a manual Clio up the mountain, he was 9 months old and sitting in a car seat in the centre rear seat so he could watch out the windscreen.  That was back in 2002 and yesterday I drove up and he drove down... 

Pushing a high revving, manual Clio that sticks as flat and solid as she does all the way out to Mount Glorious and back is really as simple and as fun as it gets.  My automatic, V8 loving son now gets it too.

Thanks @FredV6 for getting her back on track!

IMG_2313.jpg

IMG_2314.jpg

IMG_2316.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3