NTRDR

New Driver To Euro Cars

Hi All , It's hump day and we are nearly there.

For bulk of my life i was a Honda Fanatic having owned almost every Civic and an Integra , including an s2000.

I was very hesitant at first to purchase a euro car primarily because of "repair costs and reliability" and because i loved the sound of the VTEC crossover and having the whole "2 cars in 1" due to the VVTL , fuel efficiency down low and when you put your foot down it came alive.

What got me into the Clio was when i took off from a set of lights and i looked to my left and there was a white clio RS Sport right next to me which at the time i didn't know what it was and i was taken by surprise , at that time i was driving a civic FN2 so not fast by any means but decent for a road car.

After a change in personal circumstances and after alot of research i bit the bullet and sold my civic to buy the RS , i was abit more reluctant to buy the RS after i found out the F4R engine was developed jointly by Renault and Nissan (at least what i have read)

Whilst internally still struggling with the concept of me buying a clio (because Clio's are girl cars right?) i got over it and here i am.

Initial Impressions: a lot more torque , now i understand why almost every car driver hates honda's , not having to wait for vtec and not having to shift so much to propel the car is a godsend , the exhaust noise is extremely addictive especially when shifting at mid-rpm's it sounds like

a fighter jet breaking the sound barrier (ok a little bit of exaggeration but still amazing). but what i actually enjoy the most is going through corners and it handles almost as good as my Honda s2000 did , little to no understeer it is a literal go kart and begs to be thrown into the corners and really good grip to which i have yet to exceed the limits.

I have owned the car for approximately 3 months now (driven around 2500km's) and it is surprisingly comfortable given it rides on 225/40/r18 stock which i attribute mainly to the recaro's and stiffer suspension overall , still absolutely terrible on Sydney roads but what car isn't.

Negatives: random squeaks from the dash and i believe passenger seat rail , lack of armrest are annoyances but i have learned to live with them , but with this car what has truly infuriated me ALMOST to the point of me actually not buying another Renault again is simple DIY jobs like changing headlight bulbs or..as per recently whereby i was trying an LED H1 with 80w it fried a fuse (thankfully and...yeah my bad) and found out the fuse box is under the battery...AND secured by Torx Hex Key Bolts... like i have to say...what in the actual f**k were the engineers thinking when they designed this car , honestly almost drove me to madness but i got it fixed myself after a few deep breaths and patience.

Besides that , it has been reliable so far , it has its quirks as does any car but most importantly it is actually really fun to drive and i have not been disappointed yet and i can't wait to see how it goes on the track in a few months time.

Modifications that came with the car was some aftermarket engine mounts , a K/N Panel filter which i didn't have to buy as i am retaining the stock airbox as i believe it is one of the better setups and less attention from police is always good

Modifications that i installed so far is just full scorpion exhaust system (there was no way i was going to spend $2600 on an akrapovic , at least not at this stage) , i have an oil catch can coming this weekend and a tune from Superchips AU to smooth everything out , i also have a rear wiper delete kit i need to figure out how to do (renault engineers like to make things difficult).

My current dilemma is trying to find 17 inch wheels i can use my tax return dollars on to make for a comfortable ride for daily driving which seems like mission impossible because the default offset is 68 and the large brembo brake's don't help in this department.

As a sidenote i currently run Castrol Edge 5w-40 (besides being Renault RN0710/RN0700 approved , one number denominates turbo and the other non turbo can't remember which) because after doing alot of real life testing i have found that it comes from a PAO ESTHER base and then its hydrocracked into a fully synthetic oil compared to say Penrite HPR-40 which is considered a group 3 oil , basically the Castrol from my experience burns alot less because its a higher quality oil and so far on the Renault i have only had to top up 400ml in my ownership.

What an intro right? , guess i ultimately came here to say Hi to everyone but ended up giving a biography.

Look forward to coming to a Renault meet and meeting you all and seeing your cars!

Edited by NTRDR
  • Like 8

Red Bull Clio as your first Renault RS!  Well done, and very nice machine there.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your new go cart.  The combination of the relatively large and torquey engine with light weight and well sorted drivetrain and suspension makes them a great thing.  Red Bull version has lots of kit and great seats, and is up there with the best of breed in my view.  They do sound amazing as the revs pile on, and I imagine the exhaust gives it a nice grumble to boot.

There is a thread on here somewhere about the 17 inch rims to suit the Clio so a bit of a search and you will find the info you are seeking. Certainly options are slim, but I believe it is achievable.

Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

Looks like a nice example you got there. Well done!

The non-limited edition Clio 3's run on 17" rims. IE:  215/45/17.  You might find a set from a wrecker or someone on here. I believe the ride is a touch better, and at 3kg lighter per corner should feel pretty good too!

• Thanks 1

Thanks @No152 i got alot of digging to do haha :)

@Vétéran , i got lucky. it was partially due to Miles @RenoTech

Gave me abit of history on the car and the owner kept OK condition of it , but i am personally very meticulous and a decent detailer due to OCD , gave her a full claybar + polish + wax + sealant as soon as i got her and i have been washing every week without any excuse. seeing a clean car always puts a smile on my face , and secretly allows me to flex on everyone else on the road haha.

Edited by NTRDR
formatting

Thanks Reg! , feeling the love from the community already , if i could kiss you right now i would (no homo). i am very particular at the moment haha i need to find something in black with a lip or at least with something with a lip that fits so i can get it resprayed , my other alternative if i can't run 17s with a lip is to try a new set of 18s in 225/45 but it needs to have a lip as i am trying to slap on some reflective rim tape.

Heres a bonus pic , shiny!

rs.thumb.jpg.91edce6aa9839631acd3ed5aaf04b119.jpg

Edited by NTRDR
words
  • Like 2

ESTHER - girls name

ESTER - chemical compound derived from an acid

congrats on the car!

• Sad 1

Good luck finding rims with a lip!

I'm not far from Mac Park, hopefully I see this thing around sometime! 😎

• Like 1

Well i just seen some of your posts @rég , if you ever wanna mess around with your car more then happy to help just send us a PM as its a learning experience for me as well since our cars are practically identical , ill be seafoaming my car on the weekend with a mate and doing a few other things later on as i plan to keep my clio for quite some time

14 minutes ago, NTRDR said:

Well i just seen some of your posts @rég , if you ever wanna mess around with your car more then happy to help just send us a PM as its a learning experience for me as well since our cars are practically identical , ill be seafoaming my car on the weekend with a mate and doing a few other things later on as i plan to keep my clio for quite some time

Are you talking to me? Just a note, the user name is circled in red:

image.png.a04e0c87d75ecddcab7b6a2a562606a3.png

The "Régulier" just means regular in French i.e. a regular on the forum!

I'm hopefully doing some brake work on my car this weekend, always happy to help out other members too!

• Haha 1

@dn2blue ahh my bad , still learning the forums. all good now.

I did my front brake pads the other day with a mechanic mate of mine so i am familiar with the process , have not done rears yet.

Its easier if you have 2 people , if you are doing pads make sure you keep the brake fluid topped up as you don't want any air in your lines.

• Like 1

Very nice!  I’m still straddling the Honda / Renault divide.  Both great cars  but I also recognise where the Clio will be an easier drive than the FN2R.

The FN2R has a K-frank so will outrun the Clio any day but on bumpy roads, it’s a handful whilst the Clio will just ride over everything.

i would be interested to see how my clio goes down the street against a FN2 once i get my tune done. On paper the FN2 does 0-100 in 6.6 and the Clio RS 200 6.9

After i tune it without going on the dyno i will see around 20-25hp max over stock without adding a turbo and a little more torque. If you have any mates that go to eastern creek wednesday drags i would be keen next week @Apu

Not much to be gained in tuning the Clio 3 — just saying before you spend too much. Maybe 4-5 KwATW...but you can smooth things a bit.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, ttimbo said:

Not much to be gained in tuning the Clio 3 — just saying before you spend too much. Maybe 4-5 KwATW...but you can smooth things a bit.

Thanks Timbo , yeah i have had alot of cars and done alot of research. Its tuned from the factory and same goes with any NA car.

For me its the first car i have ever got a tune on and i would never go the turbo route unless they made the MK4 RS manual because the sound is heaven.

If i can make the Clio as fast as or even slightly faster then my old civic FN2 without spending $5000 to do it then ive accomplished my goal. So far only $1475 down and thats not bad for 15-20hp over stock.

@ttimbo

Congrats on seeing the light mate, the French make great little cars.

If you get stuck for wheels, Koya make some well priced, custom stud / offset wheels. Had a couple of sets over the years and been very happy. Latest actually lighter than the fully forged original lotus wheels (and less then $500 each).

• Thanks 1

Welcome mate, nice car.

I just bought my first Clio Mk 3 after three Meganes - it’s a very enjoyable drive, especially with an Akrapovic. I didn’t buy it - came with the car. 

Theyre good fun.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NTRDR said:

i would be interested to see how my clio goes down the street against a FN2 once i get my tune done. On paper the FN2 does 0-100 in 6.6 and the Clio RS 200 6.9

After i tune it without going on the dyno i will see around 20-25hp max over stock without adding a turbo and a little more torque. If you have any mates that go to eastern creek wednesday drags i would be keen next week @Apu

I’m not sure the FN2R would be that quick.  I always wondered if the claims were optimistic.  That said, I’ve seen good gains with the K20/K24.

At the end of the day though, it’s how the car drives in the real world.  My son and I take both cars out for weekend runs and whilst the Civic is faster the Clio is a more relaxed, easier drive.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, DBG6 said:

Congrats on seeing the light mate, the French make great little cars.

If you get stuck for wheels, Koya make some well priced, custom stud / offset wheels. Had a couple of sets over the years and been very happy. Latest actually lighter than the fully forged original lotus wheels (and less then $500 each).

@DBG6 , Thanks man. i have honestly been running around in circles trying to get wheels for this car. most places chuck my car in the "too hard" basket and don't want to legitimately help me , they take my details down then don't help i have to chase them up. i don't know everything about cars especially when it comes to wheels and fitments but i am slowly learning.

I sent them an email, can't wait for them to get back to me. if i can get a set of 17s that fit with my criteria for under $2000 ill be an extremely happy chappy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Apu said:

I’m not sure the FN2R would be that quick.  I always wondered if the claims were optimistic.  That said, I’ve seen good gains with the K20/K24.

At the end of the day though, it’s how the car drives in the real world.  My son and I take both cars out for weekend runs and whilst the Civic is faster the Clio is a more relaxed, easier drive.

@Apu depends on whose driving haha :) , but yeah you are absolutely right. real world scenario nothing is perfect but i speak from experience with the honda's i have had , 1 single miss-shift or not always being able to drop a gear and go straight into vtec against a car with equal power you lose...every single time. hence why i am really keen to see on the track and the drag strip how the little RS compares with some basic bolt ons and a tune.

Clio’s aren’t too different.  Drop out of the rev range and you’re in a VTEC-like hole.

@Apu you are partially correct , but i think the clio still has the edge.

with the clio you predominately hang around 3k rpm in any given gear normal driving and power gets going around 4000 to 5500rpm but the torque is there from 3000

with the fn2 its slightly similar , off memory its 3500 for the fn2 normal driving but then its 5200-5400rpm for the crossover

between 3k-5200 rpm on the fn2 there is practically no torque the car behaves like a turbo... lags then kicks in

between 3k-5000 rpm the clio has alot more torque and is actually going by that point , i do notice after 5000rpm's or so on the clio even though my speed is increasing it feels like it flatspots whereas in the FN2 it just keeps pulling.

Real world actual speeds might be similar hence what you said about the VTEC-like hole

Really keen to go up against an FN2 sometime and see how it compares real world , obviously driver skill and reaction also plays a big part , i will always love my Honda's but i feel the Clio is just in a different tier.

Would be awesome to come do a track day with you , its actually nice to know someone who delves in both cars and enjoys them for what they are.

...feeling the love from the community already , if i could kiss you right now i would (no homo).

Now that you own a Gallic car you have to be, even just a little bit. We all are.

Hello and welcome,

nice car you got there! Great you left the dark side and stepped over into the light. 😎

Some sidenotes. The first F4R engines were already developed before the alliance with Nissan and I don't know if Nissan was actually involved with the newer versions. The standard tire size for the Speedline Interlagos rims is actually 215/40R18. And yes, French engineers are a bit "special" when it comes to certain things.

• Like 1

Gorgeous car mate and in great condition by the looks of that gloss 😎

As for rims you have a number of options but here is a summary of the spec range you want to be chasing:

RenaultSport CLIO 197/200 Spec:
PCD 108 x 5 stud
Centre bore 60.1

8.0j  ~ ET55 OR 7.5j  ~ ET45

You can find a few options at demon tweaks, they have a good range and decent site.
Ordering and shipping from the UK isn't as bad as it may seem when you compare local pricing.

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/au/performance/wheels-accessories/alloy-wheels/

Common wheels seen in the Clio 3 realm are: Oz Ultra's, Oz Allegrita, Sparco, Team Dynamics, ATS GTR, MSW, Speedline Corse.

Just as a ref, here are the factory wheels specs:

P.S. Your wheels are the Interlagos

Mégane Renaultsport 230 F1 R26:
Wheel: Renaultsport 8x18 ET70

Mégane Renaultsport R26.R
Wheel: Interlagos 8x18 ET66

Clio Renaultsport 200/197
Wheel: Speedline 7.5x17 ET68

Oz Ultraleggera 8x17 ET55

If you're concerned about weight, here is a really good reference:

Displaying Clio notes - When we t...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NTRDR said:

For me its the first car i have ever got a tune on and i would never go the turbo route unless they made the MK4 RS manual because the sound is heaven.

Not going to happen. The Clio4 is now out of production

And BTW don't write off the EDC until you have driven one

5 minutes ago, Deet said:

Not going to happen. The Clio4 is now out of production

And BTW don't write off the EDC until you have driven one

i did , trying to convince the girlfriend to get one for her next car as her parents are buying another house soon and they need another car , went to the dealership and thats when i fell in love with the akra exhaust and the fancy electronic popping,  i do want one but i need the constant mental stimulation from driving manual otherwise i get bored and fall asleep driving regular automatic. had around 12 cars in my life and around 10 motorcycles so far and all have been manual. only auto i drive from time to time is my mums car to fill up fuel and service it. @Deet

Edited by NTRDR
tagging

3 minutes ago, NTRDR said:

i did , trying to convince the girlfriend to get one for her next car as her parents are buying another house soon and they need another car , went to the dealership and thats when i fell in love with the akra exhaust and the fancy electronic popping,  i do want one but i need the constant mental stimulation from driving manual otherwise i get bored and fall asleep driving regular automatic. had around 12 cars in my life and around 10 motorcycles so far and all have been manual. only auto i drive from time to time is my mums car to fill up fuel and service it. @Deet

Drive it is Sport and Manual mode, you won't fall asleep. 38 years of drive small, fast, manual cars, and this auto is the least boring of the lot

11 hours ago, DOOOOK said:

Now that you own a Gallic car you have to be, even just a little bit. We all are.

True , Ok then hahahahaha 🤣🤣🤣 @DOOOOK

50 minutes ago, mojo said:

Gorgeous car mate and in great condition by the looks of that gloss 😎

As for rims you have a number of options but here is a summary of the spec range you want to be chasing:

RenaultSport CLIO 197/200 Spec:
PCD 108 x 5 stud
Centre bore 60.1

8.0j  ~ ET55 OR 7.5j  ~ ET45

You can find a few options at demon tweaks, they have a good range and decent site.
Ordering and shipping from the UK isn't as bad as it may seem when you compare local pricing.

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/au/performance/wheels-accessories/alloy-wheels/

Common wheels seen in the Clio 3 realm are: Oz Ultra's, Oz Allegrita, Sparco, Team Dynamics, ATS GTR, MSW, Speedline Corse.

Just as a ref, here are the factory wheels specs:

P.S. Your wheels are the Interlagos

Mégane Renaultsport 230 F1 R26:
Wheel: Renaultsport 8x18 ET70

Mégane Renaultsport R26.R
Wheel: Interlagos 8x18 ET66

Clio Renaultsport 200/197
Wheel: Speedline 7.5x17 ET68

Oz Ultraleggera 8x17 ET55

If you're concerned about weight, here is a really good reference:

Displaying Clio notes - When we t...

@mojo damn man! your my hero , definitely owe you one Mojo.

9 minutes ago, NTRDR said:

True , Ok then hahahahaha 🤣🤣🤣 @DOOOOK

@mojo damn man! your my hero , definitely owe you one Mojo.

hahaha - that's years of data collection in a single post.  Happy to help out.

F4R engine in the Clio3 and Meg 2/3 is all Renault - no Nissan. This engine has its roots way back in the 80s and has had many many variants - SOHC, DOCH, turbo, diesel even. Its an utterly bullet proof engine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_F-Type_engine

The 1.6 in the CLIO IV RS is the renault/nissan joint venture and is also found in Pulsar and Juke in Australia. There is a 2.0 engine as well thats in some non-sport Megane 3 and Laguna 3 thats a nissan shared engine. 

Edited by Haakon

21 minutes ago, Haakon said:

F4R engine in the Clio3 and Meg 2/3 is all Renault - no Nissan. This engine has its roots way back in the 80s and has had many many variants - SOHC, DOCH, turbo, diesel even. Its an utterly bullet proof engine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_F-Type_engine

The 1.6 in the CLIO IV RS is the renault/nissan joint venture and is also found in Pulsar and Juke in Australia. There is a 2.0 engine as well thats in some non-sport Megane 3 and Laguna 3 thats a nissan shared engine. 

@Haakon wow , thanks for the knowledge. its really awesome to know , well i stand corrected and i feel abit more confident in the reliability of my car now :) , helpful to know the new MK4 RS is the joint venture between Nissan and Renault.