Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
DM265RS

Gear changes 265 rs Megane

Recommended Posts

Hi guys 

Been with my 265 Megane RS now for a couple of months and loving it .However I find the gear changes feel very mechanical and gritty . You can feel the changes especially in low speed first to second . It’s as if the lever click in place mid way and then drops in to gear. Hard to explain properly. Has anyone else had the same experience. Is it a standard characteristic of the 265 box ?

any comments are appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

normal, the car is using the Trafic gearbox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same gearbox as the van so...take it how you will. 

 

I wouldnt classify it as precise or smooth its pretty rough to be honest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ataraxia said:

Same gearbox as the van so...take it how you will. 

 

I wouldnt classify it as precise or smooth its pretty rough to be honest.

Fixed with a short shifter kit. It feels much better!

I think its one of the best mods you can do for the meg3

Edited by Docmattic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

what short shifter did you use? where did you purchase it from? 
I seen those ones on ebay which look decent cos they come with instructions etc. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, HappyGorilla said:

what short shifter did you use? where did you purchase it from? 
I seen those ones on ebay which look decent cos they come with instructions etc. 

 

https://www.short-shifters.com/pk4018-shift.html

I used this one but got it from Ktec.

If you do get it and are installing yourself, just be wary when removing and installing the roll pin. (While this may not make much sense now), Instructions say you need large pliers to reinstall. However in my experience, you will also need a pair of vice grips so you can adjust the leverage point easily and nudge the roll pin pack in slowly. Also, note there is a smaller roll pin within the large one. These have to be separated installed separately, one at a time - the pin will get stuck otherwise. 

Edited by Docmattic
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like a normal thing then for the rs.I think In  due course I will try the short shifter , and let you guys know if improved .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Normal, but it should feel much better once everything is warmed up - although at least 15 minutes of driving until it will slot in perfectly smooth. Changing higher in the rev range (~3k RPM) also slots in smoother. I've never really considered a short-shifter kit but after reading that link above it's mighty tempting...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great kit but a PITA to fit ! the car should have had this from factory.

you have to be very patient to tap the pin in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I did get it I'd be asking Renotech to install it. But if it's many hours of labour, the total cost makes it less appealing 🤔

I'm sure it would be sweet though...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go the 4H-Tech short-shift kit. I had mine installed by Renotech, they are very reasonable. I also got the genuine rs gear knob, which is good but gets hot and can be a little slippery if you sweat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, I've finally succumbed to the glowing reviews about the 4H-Tech short shift kit (and have been increasingly frustrated with the stock setup), so have pulled the trigger on ordering one from K-Tech. Very excited! :hyper:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, MM-RS250 said:

How did the short shifter turn out mate? Worth getting...

I've been running it for about 2 months now (installed by RenoTech) and overall I'm pretty pleased. Shifting quickly from 2nd to 3rd is particularly satisfying! The only negative is that the shift action is slightly heavier - you need to be slightly forceful at times, but the shift feels clean and precise. I have the RS metal gear knob which probably adds a bit of weight to the shifts too.

At first I was a little disappointed, as the gearbox still does feel a bit stiff/heavy, particularly when cold. While the shifts are shorter it doesn't completely solve what I didn't like about the gearbox in the first place. But I think overall it definitely feels better so I'm pleased that I had it done. And it feels absolutely awesome on track. 👍

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The RS alloy nob was 1 of the 1st mods I did and love it. Gives a bit of weight to the action and moves through the gate better.  Just have to remember to put the towel over it when parked. QLD sun turns that thing into a branding iron. haha.

What was the instaled cost if I may ask?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MM-RS250 said:

What was the instaled cost if I may ask?

Will dig up the receipt and PM you

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/01/2020 at 4:39 PM, aecollins1 said:

I've been running it for about 2 months now (installed by RenoTech) and overall I'm pretty pleased. Shifting quickly from 2nd to 3rd is particularly satisfying! The only negative is that the shift action is slightly heavier - you need to be slightly forceful at times, but the shift feels clean and precise. I have the RS metal gear knob which probably adds a bit of weight to the shifts too.

At first I was a little disappointed, as the gearbox still does feel a bit stiff/heavy, particularly when cold. While the shifts are shorter it doesn't completely solve what I didn't like about the gearbox in the first place. But I think overall it definitely feels better so I'm pleased that I had it done. And it feels absolutely awesome on track. 👍

 

Try changing the gearbox oil, I just recently changed mine, gear shift feels better especially during the first 5 mins in the morning (I left for work at 5am, and it has been around 8-11 C lately at that time)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's fairly easy to install the short shifter, I did mine myself a couple of months ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/01/2020 at 11:44 PM, Ambrose said:

Try changing the gearbox oil, I just recently changed mine, gear shift feels better especially during the first 5 mins in the morning (I left for work at 5am, and it has been around 8-11 C lately at that time)

+1

I recently changed the oil and it quietened down my 2nd to 3rd shift a lot. It does still happen sometimes, but definitely nothing like before. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...