Jump to content
DM265RS

Inner door handle snapped Mégane rs265

Recommended Posts

Hi guys 

had a great day at the barbecue today, until I tried to close my door and my inner door handle just snapped right off .😤I read that the entire door card needs replacing at something like $950 plus labour. I will look in to this in more detail tomorrow , but has anyone had this problem and if so what is best fix.

Any advise is appreciated.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DM265RS said:

Hi guys 

had a great day at the barbecue today, until I tried to close my door and my inner door handle just snapped right off .😤I read that the entire door card needs replacing at something like $950 plus labour. I will look in to this in more detail tomorrow , but has anyone had this problem and if so what is best fix.

Any advise is appreciated.

Its a common problem with megane 3. Cheap build quality and heavy door makes them break easily.. Start closing the door from above the window jam. I close every car door like this regardless if its a Megane out of habit lol..

Edited by RedMistVIP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a thread on how to repair, if you're handy, in the Megane III Technical section (with pictures and DIY) that may be of use. The only other thing you could try, other than using a dealer, is getting a part from a wrecker that does Renault. Hope  you get it sorted without too much cost. Let us know how you go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, RedMistVIP said:

Its a common problem with megane 3. Cheap build quality and heavy door makes them break easily.. Start closing the door from above the window jam. I close every car door like this regardless if its a Megane out of habit lol..

 

9 hours ago, cairnsy said:

There is a thread on how to repair, if you're handy, in the Megane III Technical section (with pictures and DIY) that may be of use. The only other thing you could try, other than using a dealer, is getting a part from a wrecker that does Renault. Hope  you get it sorted without too much cost. Let us know how you go.

I hear ya 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DM265RS said:

 

I will  check it out and start closing door from Another point 😂

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My black RS did this twice- I fixed with a 8mm drill bit, and then a 8mm bolt, some washes and locktite nut.  Took me an hour all up. Just drilled and bolted bottom "hole/tab" and was faultless since

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Guys

I had a Quote  from

Renault for a new door card at $1350 10 week wait plus labour!🤨Decided to have a go myself and sorted it stronger than original in 45 minutes . I used some washers and new bolts and hate to admit it , one zip tie! The door card itself is very strong so I drilled a tiny set of holes in it and zip tied the upper right side of the handle where it was all broken . Everything is neat and handle cover fits on top. Good as new and saved $1350.

7A080FF3-B1ED-4AA6-84C9-642E64242F09.jpeg

F5099834-C155-4FD0-B101-B5D53BCE3B61.jpeg

9324A392-AE5C-495E-9F3E-5C291247BCDA.jpeg

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so this finally happened to my car despite the fact I always closed the door from the top of the pannel/window sill.
only this is mine actually snapped the plastic where the bolt mates to the inner handle.
Pictures to come but I guess i better get handy with some DIY.
Did anyone actually ever have any luck getting an admission of faulty design from renault through an out of warranty fix at all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Drill bit, 8mm or 10mm bolt, wide washers and a loctite nut.

 $20 in parts max and an hour or so

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After reading this, yesterday my drivers handle came away at the bottom on the odd occasion that I didnt use the top of the door (as the door was wide open).

Can you please elaborate on your method? Door card off?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes you take of the gloss black inner handle, and whole door card. its not complicated.

 

Then you need to drill out the snapped hole. I used a 4mm then 8 or 12mm larger bit at end .

Then grab a bolt with large washer at the head end (this basically spreads the weight across the rest of th plastic handle bit) I think the washer was about 30-40mm but just see what fits in the handle section.

Then in the rear of the door card I used a loctite nut, again quite wide outer diameter - maybe 20-25mm (or could use a washer)

The idea is basically it puts the door weight spread across the washer/nut and the bolt just holds it.

I went crazy with 1 x larger bolt and 1 smaller at top as a precaution

 

Door is now bullet proof and far stronger than a new 1800 $ door card

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi - Thanks for the reply. Once I pulled off the door handle outer cover, realised that I could do a quick fix. As the heads of the 2 screws had pulled through the handle and by a bit of a bit of a relief of the webbing around the hole I could put on a couple of washers to support the inner handle.

Pretty snug now, but not to be used!

 

image.png.d13f7bcd6f7020e792fe65f0d042fe38.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...