Tom12RS250

Megane RS250 and loving it, but time for more.

Hi All i recently picked up my new pride and joy a 2012 Megane RS250 with 50,000 kms on it.  Have been driving the car daily for about the last 2 months and absolutely loving it. I think I'm about ready to start modifying it and was just wondering what other people have started off with apart form  a stereo of course. Looking to do an exhaust of some description and also and intake for more turbo noise and also in preparation for a tune\remap. Looking for and open to any suggestions about parts and also where to get any work done located in Melbourne preferably west side or CBD.

Thanks In advanced.

Meg Pic.jpg

• Like 3

I have a 2012 RS250

If I was modifying it from scratch I would start of with replacing the Audio system first then follow up with these 2 mods.

Short shifter

https://www.short-shifters.com/pk4018-shift.html

Then rear anti-roll bar

https://superpro.com.au/find/superpro-suspension-parts-and-poly-bushings-for-renault-megane-2008-2016-series-iii-/cid-999500258

other owners based in Melbourne will be able to recommend a suitable tuner, I'm in Perth.

There are at least 3 different brands of exhaust systems to choose from and would probably be best to get the tuner you use to recommend & fit the most suitable system.

5 hours ago, JDB said:

I have a 2012 RS250

If I was modifying it from scratch I would start of with replacing the Audio system first then follow up with these 2 mods.

Short shifter

Then rear anti-roll bar

https://superpro.com.au/find/superpro-suspension-parts-and-poly-bushings-for-renault-megane-2008-2016-series-iii-/cid-999500258

other owners based in Melbourne will be able to recommend a suitable tuner, I'm in Perth.

There are at least 3 different brands of exhaust systems to choose from and would probably be best to get the tuner you use to recommend & fit the most suitable system.

Thanks mate appreciate the input, just curious  what are those 3 brands of exhausts just so i can get an idea of price etc.

Hes probably talking about Milltek, scorpion and Ktec products..

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Tom12RS250 said:

Hi All i recently picked up my new pride and joy a 2012 Megane RS250 with 50,000 kms on it.  Have been driving the car daily for about the last 2 months and absolutely loving it. I think I'm about ready to start modifying it and was just wondering what other people have started off with apart form  a stereo of course. Looking to do an exhaust of some description and also and intake for more turbo noise and also in preparation for a tune\remap. Looking for and open to any suggestions about parts and also where to get any work done located in Melbourne preferably west side or CBD.

Thanks In advanced.

Meg Pic.jpg

The best things you can do are good extreme performancce tyres (Yokohama AD08R, Bridgestone RE71R), upgrade the brakes (pads and rotors) and do a high performance driving course. More power is only good if you can use it - and that should be on a race track of course !!

Edited by slick

After my initial purchase I was thinking about modifying mine, but have elected not to, unless I experience component failure I almost certainly won’t.

Modifying is almost always a personal taste, purpose, use and return on investment should always be at the forefront of decision making.

I agree that a set of decent rubber and sorting out your brakes will almost certainly reward the right driver with the best bang for buck, and anything else (for other than track use) really has limited value on the road 😉

There are plenty of tuning options and then suspension set up and handling modifications that are all valid in their own rights, but they can run up some serious dollars.

Stop and think about what you want from the car and if it really warrants or will reward you for the effort and money.

in stock form my car still fails to put a smile on my face and I know there are faster, better and maybe even cheaper options out there, but I also know that they are nowhere near as visceral or rewarding to drive.

Eventually I’ll look towards a Lotus for my bit of fun on the side, once children and finances are better sorted 🤪

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TheFlash said:

in stock form my car still fails to put a smile on my face and I know there are faster, better and maybe even cheaper options out there, but I also know that they are nowhere near as visceral or rewarding to drive

Do you mean "....my car still never fails......" ?

• Like 1

You’d be crazy to modify something so good from the factory, wouldn’t you?

No...wait...

As you were.

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

The sound system is a good upgrade. I haven't done this myself, but would appreciate it. Especially as a daily driver. 
Exhaust will always make you smile, however if you came from the world of Jap cars, a non-res aftermarket exhaust won't satisfy you. You'll want to end up with a high flow catted down pipe - haha! 

Just for ideas, I bought my car with a non-res Scorpion exhaust, stage 1 map, OZRacing wheels and I think it's a very suitable all round daily and weekender. The only thing I added were some AD08R to see how well it does at the track. 
I'd really like to lower the car; whether by coilovers or lowering springs, I do not know yet. 

If I was to start from scratch on a budget... Exhaust (res delete may be enough depending on taste), lower (springs), fitment (perhaps spacers?). 
Aside from that, there's not too much the car really needs. The shape is nicely designed (not many aftermarket body options anyway). 

On 26/04/2019 at 9:01 PM, RedMistVIP said:

Hes probably talking about Milltek, scorpion and Ktec products..

correct - I run a K-tec with sports CAT.

Tune was supplied by K-tec as it's a very long drive to Melbourne and there are no Renault tuners over here in the West.

Thanks all for your input, for now I love the way the car drives i'm just looking to make it a little bit more cheeky childish grin inducing with some louder turbo noises maybe an aftermarket BOV and intake will help with this? any advice? I am definitely doing a center res delete in the next 2 weeks. That's for sure.

On 29/04/2019 at 5:07 PM, mryangtastic said:

The sound system is a good upgrade. I haven't done this myself, but would appreciate it. Especially as a daily driver. 
Exhaust will always make you smile, however if you came from the world of Jap cars, a non-res aftermarket exhaust won't satisfy you. You'll want to end up with a high flow catted down pipe - haha! 

Just for ideas, I bought my car with a non-res Scorpion exhaust, stage 1 map, OZRacing wheels and I think it's a very suitable all round daily and weekender. The only thing I added were some AD08R to see how well it does at the track. 
I'd really like to lower the car; whether by coilovers or lowering springs, I do not know yet. 

If I was to start from scratch on a budget... Exhaust (res delete may be enough depending on taste), lower (springs), fitment (perhaps spacers?). 
Aside from that, there's not too much the car really needs. The shape is nicely designed (not many aftermarket body options anyway). 

Yeah Thanks mate, Stereo is %100 on the top of the list along with a de badge and center res delete.

On 30/04/2019 at 2:21 PM, JDB said:

correct - I run a K-tec with sports CAT.

Tune was supplied by K-tec as it's a very long drive to Melbourne and there are no Renault tuners over here in the West.

The sports cat, im presuming its high flow, have you had any anti pollution faults with it? I grabbed mine second hand with the exhaust already done, (i havent got underneath it yet) I can see an aftermarket dump, and i think a stock resi but if the cat is high flow or for deleted for some ungodly reson id say thats where my fault is. Its high o2 downstream.

No need to touch the BOV, just buy a 3 inch pod filter, remove stock airbox and use the adapter from the factory airbox to connect the pod. Sounds exactly the same as all the $300-$400 intake options from overseas. It’s loud. For exhaust I simply deleted both mufflers and replaced with welded straight pipe. This may be too loud for some but honestly it’s nowhere near as bad as people made it out to be. Depends how savage you want your Meg to be.  

2 minutes ago, joey660 said:

No need to touch the BOV, just buy a 3 inch pod filter, remove stock airbox and use the adapter from the factory airbox to connect the pod. Sounds exactly the same as all the $300-$400 intake options from overseas. It’s loud. For exhaust I simply deleted both mufflers and replaced with welded straight pipe. This may be too loud for some but honestly it’s nowhere near as bad as people made it out to be. Depends how savage you want your Meg to be.  

Perfect Thanks for the advice mate, any particular brand of pod filter you would recommend?

8 minutes ago, Tom12RS250 said:

Perfect Thanks for the advice mate, any particular brand of pod filter you would recommend?

I used a K&N 3 Inch pod that cost $90 but anything half decent will do!

2 minutes ago, joey660 said:

I used a K&N 3 Inch pod that cost $90 but anything half decent will do!

Yeah Perfect that's what i was looking at. Do you have a photo of how it looks in the car by chance?

On 10/05/2019 at 9:29 AM, Hayden said:

The sports cat, im presuming its high flow, have you had any anti pollution faults with it? I grabbed mine second hand with the exhaust already done, (i havent got underneath it yet) I can see an aftermarket dump, and i think a stock resi but if the cat is high flow or for deleted for some ungodly reson id say thats where my fault is. Its high o2 downstream.

I have had no anti-pollution faults with my sports CAT, yes it is high flow.

If you remove the foam liner inside the airbox and add a K&N panel filter, that alone made a big difference in intake noise. 

Other mods I would recommend is mid box chop, very easy and cheap way to get better sounds, I also cut out my backbox and replaced with a smalll hotdog resonator which gives a very low grumble now. 
headunit + sub - 100% if you like your music. Headunit alone made a world of difference but adding a sub would be perfect 
and good tyres - 100% adds so much enjoyment without going for a tune.
Lowering is subjective, I put H&R springs in mine and looks much better imo. You don't really need a tune to use on the road but it is a welcome boost off the lights :)

You could try and make your own ITG style Cold air intake feed like I did. (I've got spare parts to make the piping that I could make up and sell to you if you were interested), all you'd need to do it source your own pod filter.

• Like 2

On 13/05/2019 at 6:07 PM, JDB said:

Thanks :) Ill jump under it after the weekend clean and see whats happening downstream

On 13/05/2019 at 6:07 PM, JDB said:

Installed by Renault or someone else, mine was done by Renault so they wouldn't have adjusted the sensor when they installed it, I'll have the local performance mechanic have a look at it and write up a new forum if it turns out to be the o2 sensor needing adjustment. Seems to be alot of people hitting the same issue but all for different reasons, there was a bunch of faulty sensors go out aswell.

I installed it.

Its not an easy job to do, undoing the bolts that join it to the turbo was a pain. You will need a hoist to do this.

The bolt closest to the ground can only be accessed from under the car and I could only turn it one flat at a time with an open ended spanner - you cannot get a socket in there.

Full exhaust system and sport CAT took me about 4 hours to do with a buddy helping.

On 26/04/2019 at 4:56 PM, JDB said:

I have a 2012 RS250

Short shifter

Then rear anti-roll bar

How have you found the Superpro ARB? An anti roll bar transformed my old Clio 172, but the Megane is a much more neutral car out of the box, so I’m not sure if the improvement will be as significant. 

I have found the Superpro ARB a great mod and it doesn't take long to change the setting from "hard" to "soft" .

On the hard position tends to oversteer more and on the soft I find the car very neutral at the limit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JDB said:

I have found the Superpro ARB a great mod and it doesn't take long to change the setting from "hard" to "soft" .

On the hard position tends to oversteer more and on the soft I find the car very neutral at the limit.

Thanks mate, it looks like a well engineered kit. 

I wanted to do a track day in the Megane before throwing parts at it, but there’s currently a Sparesbox 20% off sale, bringing the anti roll bar down to $303 which is super tempting.