Looking for a Megane RS265

Wantamanual

Hi all,

Just joined as I am thinking of getting a Megan RS 265. I would prefer to have one with the Recaro seats, so I guess I need to get a Trophy? Looking at carsales not many are for sale at the moment. 

How much should I pay for either a Cup or a Trophy, around year 2013 and less than 80k on the clock?

All the Cup versions come with LSD?  

The Renault nomenclature is so confusing!   

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by Wantamanual

Hi all,

Just joined as I am thinking of getting a Megan RS 265. I would prefer to have one with the Recaro seats, so I guess I need to get a Trophy? Looking at carsales not many are for sale at the moment. 

How much should I pay for either a Cup or a Trophy, around year 2013 and less than 80k on the clock?

I currently drive an Audi S3 with DSG but finds it to be rather boring, so planning to pass it to my wife, get a manual for not too much money to see if I can cope with a manual in daily peak hour traffic.  

Thanks in advance. 

Hi and welcome

firstly, great choice! Awesome cars.

It's a long answer to your question due to the bizarre and confusing nomenclature of the Megane III models prior to the mid 2014 facelift. TLDR is get anything at any spec and you'll be happy. The only model that didn't come with the LSD is the L.E. https://www.carshowroom.com.au/news/megane-rs265-sport-limited-edition/

My favourite extra is the bixenon cornering lights which came on I think only the trophy and trophy+ models and the RB8.

I'd suggest posting up potential cars and we can give some feedback.

Price varies with things particularly like getting the major service done (timing and accessory belts).

I have to say I can't really give you unbiased info as my trophy+ is for sale, but without the race seats it may not be on your list (haven't put it in carsales yet). FYI all seats in the Megane III are Recaro but not all have the label, only the Sportster CS. Mind you I have a set of Sportster CS you can buy with the car if you so wish...

http://www.ozrenaultsport.com/topic/31150-nsw-megane-trophy-2013-warranty-to-2019/&share_tid=31150&share_fid=5329&share_type=t

Also worth mentioning that mine still has a year factory warranty remaining. Some prefacelift models will.

Good luck shopping!

Just bear in mind that only the Recaro seats are Recaro's. If they're not the Recaro's they're the Renault Sport seats - labelled 'R.S.'. The Recaro's came in cloth in some models and leather in others. My 2012 265 8:08 came with leather Recaro's as standard. The Renault Sport seats are quite different and shouldn't be confused. The Recaro's are ok on the track - the Renault Sport seats are more of a 'touring' seat by comparison and made more for comfort.

Only the 275 Trophy-R comes with race seats - all other seats are road seats and are not intended for race use.

Also bear in mind that no face lift models came with HID headlights, so if you're after a model with the cornering HID lights you also need a pre-facelift model.

Look for something with decent tyres. I bought mine with Bridgestone RE003's and can't wait to get rid of them and get some decent Michelin Pilot Sport 4's.

Quite a few cars will have mods - make sure you're happy with any mods that have been done to the car and that they suit your taste. Intake and exhaust mods come to mind.

Engines and gearboxes are strong in these models. Don't be afraid of something with a few k's on it with good service history. My previous RS had nearly 115K km's on it and the engine and gearbox drove like new. Obviously lower km's will command a higher price.

If you're not comfortable with the inspection yourself I'd definitely contemplate a pre-purchase inspection by an independent enthusiast mechanic and not a dealer.

Cheers

Justin

Thanks for the replies.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2013-Renault-Megane-RS-265-Trophy-Manual/SSE-AD-5135317?DistFromLoc=4151&id=SSE-AD-5135317

The recaro’s on this one, do they only come with the Trophy’s? When did the facelift happen, when they went from 265 to 275?

Edited by Wantamanual

I'm not sure of the standard spec but by some weird co-incidence ALL Trophy's currently listed on Carsales have Recaro's. None of the Trophy+ cars listed have Recaro's.

I believe the Facelift was for the 2014 model year, so you can get 265's pre and post facelift. All 275's are post facelift.

The car you've linked to there has the cloth Recaro's. Only the centre sections are cloth. Some believe they wear better but both the leather and cloth Recaro's have the same wear points over the bolsters. Check for wear over the seat bolster edges.

Cheers

Justin

To help simplify things a little (only a little as the model nuances are confusing to say the least in the 265 range), you can try by starting with the models that have the leather Recaros as standard (if that is a major requirement - it would be for me), and these are the 8:08 and Red Bull limited edition models.  These are both pre-facelift, and are pretty well fully loaded variants, especially the RB8 which was the last hurrah before the facelift.

The 8:08 models all have the leather Recaros, and are available in white or Liquid Yellow (best paint colour ever) while the RB8 are all a deep metallic blue that looks stunning in the sun when its clean.  The RB8 have also the Bi Xenon headlights and both SatNav and RS Monitor, which became a standard feature in the later models.

The Trophy, Trophy+ and the Standard Cup models all had options lists as long as your arm, and even dealers don't seem to know what they are advertising half the time.

As for price, there are a few nice 8:08s on Carsales for low to mid $20ks, while the RB8 will probably be a couple of grand more (give or take).  Later RB8 models (like Chuck's Trophy) may have slipped into the 5 year warranty period, and may still have warranty left.  All Cup models and all Limited Edition models have the LSD, which is pretty much a must-have.  As mentioned above, there was only a single model (based upon the French Police vehicles) that didn't have the LSD.  These have silver wheels, and are not to be confused with the RB models (which at a casual glance may be confused, but are different colours entirely)

Hopefully that helps navigate a preliminary path through the RS265 model minefield, and gets you closer to what you may be looking for in terms of spec.

Happy hunting, nice choice of car.  You won't be disappointed.

Hi all,

Thanks in advance. 

I’ve got a RS265 808 liquid yellow. 2012 model that I’m prepared to sell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I am in  Brisbane and at this stage will limit my search to cars in south east Qld. Where are you located tando?

So mechanically the trophy and trophy+ are the same as the cup? If so then I would have more choices.

I don’t really care much about all the extras, other than the recaro’s, either in cloth or leather. 

20 minutes ago, Wantamanual said:

I am in  Brisbane and at this stage will limit my search to cars in south east Qld. Where are you located tando?

So mechanically the trophy and trophy+ are the same as the cup? If so then I would have more choices.

I don’t really care much about all the extras, other than the recaro’s, either in cloth or leather. 

All 265s are mechanically identical apart from that one with the non LSD chassis.  Otherwise, all of them have identical drivetrain and chassis, just the features and colours change.

If you want to be able to adjust the throttle mapping and are looking at a prefacelift model, make sure you get one with an RS monitor. Not All Pre-facelift models have it. It will either have a smaller screen with the rs monitor, or a bigger screen (similar to mazda 3's) and satnav. I believe all facelift models have both.

Edited by Docmattic

17 minutes ago, Docmattic said:

If you want to be able to adjust the throttle mapping and are looking at a prefacelift model, make sure you get one with an RS monitor. Not All Pre-facelift models have it. It will either have a smaller screen with the rs monitor, or a bigger screen (similar to mazda 3's) and satnav. I believe all facelift models have both.

RD8 has both too.  The only pre-facelift that has both as I understand.  Facelift have both whereas pre-facelift missed out on the RS Monitor if SatNav was optioned, and vice-versa.  I'm pretty sure that's how it went with them.

5 hours ago, Docmattic said:

The 265 Trophy+ with Satnav (like mine) can liberate the extra ponies and sharpen the throttle response with a press of the traction control button (it doesnt disable traction, just makes it a bit more liberal) but Docmattic is correct.. if you want the full control of throttle mapping, etc, then you have to go RS monitor and abandon satnav. 

Also, with the trophy+, it came standard with the Renault powered seats, and the only options i had from memory were the leather recaros (which was considered a downgrade for some reason.. presumably due to loss of powered seats, but still cost extra) or those hideous white and black Renault seats (🤢) and the moon roof.  

Edited by slav888

On 30/07/2018 at 8:18 AM, No152 said:

To help simplify things a little (only a little as the model nuances are confusing to say the least in the 265 range), you can try by starting with the models that have the leather Recaros as standard (if that is a major requirement - it would be for me), and these are the 8:08 and Red Bull limited edition models.  These are both pre-facelift, and are pretty well fully loaded variants, especially the RB8 which was the last hurrah before the facelift.

The 8:08 models all have the leather Recaros, and are available in white or Liquid Yellow (best paint colour ever) while the RB8 are all a deep metallic blue that looks stunning in the sun when its clean.  The RB8 have also the Bi Xenon headlights and both SatNav and RS Monitor, which became a standard feature in the later models.

The Trophy, Trophy+ and the Standard Cup models all had options lists as long as your arm, and even dealers don't seem to know what they are advertising half the time.

As for price, there are a few nice 8:08s on Carsales for low to mid $20ks, while the RB8 will probably be a couple of grand more (give or take).  Later RB8 models (like Chuck's Trophy) may have slipped into the 5 year warranty period, and may still have warranty left.  All Cup models and all Limited Edition models have the LSD, which is pretty much a must-have.  As mentioned above, there was only a single model (based upon the French Police vehicles) that didn't have the LSD.  These have silver wheels, and are not to be confused with the RB models (which at a casual glance may be confused, but are different colours entirely)

Hopefully that helps navigate a preliminary path through the RS265 model minefield, and gets you closer to what you may be looking for in terms of spec.

Happy hunting, nice choice of car.  You won't be disappointed.

3 reasons I went for a 2012 8:08.

1/ Standard leather Recaro's

2/ Standard directional Bi-Xenon HID's

3/ First model reintroduced with Liquid Yellow paint after the R26 in 2008. Earlier 250's had the non-metallic Sport Yellow which just doesn't have the pop of LY.

I didn't need the satnav, but I have to say I prefer the look of the 2014 facelift. You can't have everything ! RB8 Dusk Blue also looks fantastic in the flesh.

I had thought the 'Limited Edition' (Pacific Blue) was the only model without the Cup chassis and LSD ??

https://www.caradvice.com.au/272988/renault-megane-rs-265-sport-limited-edition-from-36990-ditched-lsd-equipment/

Cheers

Justin

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jberth1 said:

3 reasons I went for a 2012 8:08.

1/ Standard leather Recaro's

2/ Standard directional Bi-Xenon HID's

3/ First model reintroduced with Liquid Yellow paint after the R26 in 2008. Earlier 250's had the non-metallic Sport Yellow which just doesn't have the pop of LY.

I didn't need the satnav, but I have to say I prefer the look of the 2014 facelift. You can't have everything ! RB8 Dusk Blue also looks fantastic in the flesh.

I had thought the 'Limited Edition' (Pacific Blue) was the only model without the Cup chassis and LSD ??

https://www.caradvice.com.au/272988/renault-megane-rs-265-sport-limited-edition-from-36990-ditched-lsd-equipment/

Cheers

Justin

Well done! You have scored arguably one of the best models in definitely the best colour ever.

Enjoy.

Any pics of the new beauty?

2 hours ago, No152 said:

Well done! You have scored arguably one of the best models in definitely the best colour ever.

Enjoy.

Any pics of the new beauty?

Yep - over here.....

http://www.ozrenaultsport.com/topic/17679-renaultsport-megane-265-trophy-808-le-register/?do=findComment&comment=618859

Cheers

Justin

Edited by jberth1

1 hour ago, jberth1 said:

Nice. She looks perfect!

Hi, Good luck with your search. Here's some info about the face-lifted 2014 models:

I have a 2014 265 face-lifted car called a Cup Premium. It has LSD (an absolute must), leather recaros, keyless entry, RS Monitor (this has a load of screens that show car data KW/Torque/0-100km ability to change the response of the throttle etc and has sat nav). Screen I think is bigger than pre-facelift. 19 inch steev wheels (black and silver), and I think they were only available in black or white paint. Mid-2014 models have a 5 year warranty, and Renault have been pretty good about fixing anything that has gone wrong (common things are inside door handle breaking / door lock not opening with keyless / ABS Sensor) all to my mind silly things to break, and out of warranty quite costly, but not deal breakers. 

At the time they were also selling the RS 275, and this had all the above plus black 19 inch wheels (Like the trophy R), alcantara recaro seats and steering wheel plus 10 extra ponies, due to the akrapovic exhaust. Shortly afterwards (2015?) they re-badged the Trophy, the 275 Cup Premium. 

I'm holding onto my car for another 3 years at least, as it is such a sweet car. I'd look for a 5 year warranty vehicle, and find out if the owner has been vigilant about getting things fixed, if you get one with some warranty, look through the car and maybe get an independent to go through it with a fine tooth comb. If it is +4 years old or +100k then it'll need to have the belts replaced ($1,200? I think - i need to do mine soon!). Spark plug where done at 60k, and this has made a big difference to the eagerness, so if it hesitates on full throttle change your plugs.

I totally recommend this car, and for 15-25k it is a steal - it was a bargain new, and the engine and drive train is generally bullet proof. Good luck!

• Like 1

Did the model code for the car change with the facelift? The 265 remained mechanical unchanged with the facelift?

To all intents & purposes, they are all RS250’s, until you push the RS button.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Good luck @Wantamanual! Welcome to (in my estimation) a very, very good car! An LSD and Recaro car would be my main criteria if i was looking - The way that an LSD car goes around corners is witch craft and recaros always make me feel like I'm stepping into a race car (even though, I'm sure they are less comfortable day to day than the standards!). 

• 3 weeks later...

I was looking at this car on  carsale

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/_/OAG-AD-16367335?_ga=2.155644795.157653866.1536121924-1650635574.1536029738

I did a search of the VIN, and the report states that there is finance owing, from October 2015 when the car was first purchased.  I spoke to the dealer earlier, who told me that the second owner had recently traded the car in.

So why would it still have money owing from the initial loan taken out by the first owner if my interpretation of the report is correct?

If I were to buy the car from a dealer am I guarantee a clear title with no money owing?

7907619C-5488-4B31-8D5D-A6FA80A2BBAF.png

Edited by Wantamanual

A licensed motor dealer is obliged to give you clear title. It is probably a timing issue. You should only use the Personal Property Security Register, as that’s the official Government enforceable registry (https://www.ppsr.gov.au/)

• 1 year later...