Prospective Clio RS owner

zippytheclown

Helloooooo, I am in the process of buying a Clio to use as a road legal track weapon.  I am looking for a 172 or 182 which I can strip out and spend some time on learning how to drive on a track.  I know you guys will be a valuable m ine of information and assistance when the time comes, look forward to speaking with some of you over the coming months!

Bill

59 minutes ago, zippytheclown said:

Helloooooo, I am in the process of buying a Clio to use as a road legal track weapon.  I am looking for a 172 or 182 which I can strip out and spend some time on learning how to drive on a track.  I know you guys will be a valuable m ine of information and assistance when the time comes, look forward to speaking with some of you over the coming months!

Bill

Welcome Bill.

I have a 182 which I have done sprints in - glad to assist you if I can.

Mark

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zippytheclown said:

Bill

If you want something to learn to drive on track, just get a 172, get it serviced and make sure the brakes, suspension and fluids are good, then put some decent tyres on it and just go -- they are track-ready stock from the factory. I've done sprints in mine and kept it stock and it's been a huge amount of fun. :)

There is a spectrum between stock and race-car that can remain road legal, but the requirement for road legality will restrict the level of competition it can compete in. This is because the vehicle needs to comply with both the road laws/ADRs, and the CAMS racing regulations -- sometimes they are mutually exclusive.

Ideally, get a Meg 3 Trophy R. It comes from the factory with both road seatbelts and track harnesses and no rear seat.

Edited by vaughan
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, vaughan said:

If you want something to learn to drive on track, just get a 172, get it serviced and make sure the brakes, suspension and fluids are good, then put some decent tyres on it and just go -- they are track-ready stock from the factory. I've done sprints in mine and kept it stock and it's been a huge amount of fun. :)

There is a spectrum between stock and race-car that can remain road legal, but the requirement for road legality will restrict the level of competition it can compete in. This is because the vehicle needs to comply with both the road laws/ADRs, and the CAMS racing regulations -- sometimes they are mutually exclusive.

Ideally, get a Meg 3 Trophy R. It comes from the factory with both road seatbelts and track harnesses and no rear seat.

Thanks for that Vaughan, I was thinking of doing exactly what you suggest, maybe just pads and tyres and drop as much weight as possible and learn how to use the cars capabilities

1 hour ago, zippytheclown said:

Thanks for that Vaughan, I was thinking of doing exactly what you suggest, maybe just pads and tyres and drop as much weight as possible and learn how to use the cars capabilities

Alternatively for super giggles you could corner weight the SV6 ute and take that on the track.  By corner weight, of course, I mean bung a few bags of cement in the tray, and off you go. Voila!

Seriously though, a 172 or 182 would be lots of fun, as they are pretty light to start with.  Pull the rear seats and various superfluous bits out to make it even lighter, and you have instant fun that can be driven to the track, thrashed to an inch of its life on the track, and driven home again.  Brake pads and fluids the important bit for reliable fun with them.

• Like 2

Alternatively for super giggles you could corner weight the SV6 ute and take that on the track.  By corner weight, of course, I mean bung a few bags of cement in the tray, and off you go. Voila!

Nooooooo.....never — even in jest — encourage anyone to take a ute to the track. There’s already too many, usually driven by people who think it’s great to monster a l’il Clio down the straight, overtake...then hold same Clio up through the corners and under braking ...just say No! [emoji6][emoji15]🤭
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ttimbo said:

Nooooooo.....never — even in jest — encourage anyone to take a ute to the track. There’s already too many, usually driven by people who think it’s great to monster a l’il Clio down the straight, overtake...then hold same Clio up through the corners and under braking ...just say No! emoji6.pngemoji15.png🤭

Sorry, self flagellation it is for me then... 😂 I promise I won't do it again.. 

Probably...

7 hours ago, zippytheclown said:

yers!

Pics or it didn’t happen. Forum rule...

Congrats by the way...

And it would still be good to see the relative lap times between the Clio and the ute! Just saying...

• Like 1

And it would still be good to see the relative lap times between the Clio and the ute! Just saying...

No, it wouldn’t! Just say “NO”![emoji33]🤬[emoji19]

12 hours ago, No152 said:

Pics or it didn’t happen. Forum rule...

Congrats by the way...

Do you remember that old warner bros cartoon with the big muscly bulldog walking on his knuckles and the little terrier running circles around him, bouncing and yabbering? That is my picture of any track battle between the whale (ute) and the clio

12 hours ago, ttimbo said:

No, it wouldn’t! Just say “NO”!emoji33.png🤬emoji19.png

What....?  😎

I didn't do anything...

maxresdefault.jpg

Congrats Zippy!!!
No matter what city you are in there is a crowd of members going along on a very regular basis to tracks. Some even bring Renaults....

Best of luck with the build process. Grip and maintaining speed through corners is so much better than just acceleration.

• 1 month later...
Best way to strip weight is to loose all the noise deadening under the carpet. Look up using dry ice to remove deadening it's a fairly easy job.

Just make sure you don't get too addicted to tracking your car. It's hard to remove the smile from your face.

Gotta go and spend some more $$$ on the clio.

3 x 13 racing. 3 times the luck

• Like 1