NEW PROUD OWNER of 172 cup phase 1

Jebathiki

Hello all,

i bought my beloved Clio ph 1, 172 cup of a friend a few months ago and just had a chance to jump on here. Needless to say I’ve been enjoying every minute of owning my first Renault, it’s my daily driver and is perfect for my short runs to work.

I live in Sydney and hope to connect with any other 172/182 owners if they exist. The plan is to get to the track so I thought i’d Get on here to do some research on basic, low budget mods you would all recommend in preparation, I’m sure there’s plenty of threads/posts that have covered my generic questions. Would someone be kind enough to provide some essential links on... Sydney Renault track days, good mechanics, where parts get traded on here or anything else you might think could help a newbie?

thank you in advance!

josh

D6A92F87-11AF-49F1-A683-1908EAA303BC.jpeg

• Like 4

Welcome to the forum! I saw you on the road the other day and the car was looking good.

Check out the NSW track day thread linked below to keep up with what’s going on. A few of us are headed to Wakefield Park this coming Friday. Hope to see you out there soon.

[Nsw] Track Days
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=5329&share_tid=25304&url=http://www.ozrenaultsport.com/index.php?/topic/25304-%5BNsw%5D-Track-Days&share_type=t

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jebathiki said:

Hello all,

i bought my beloved Clio ph 1, 172 cup of a friend a few months ago and just had a chance to jump on here. Needless to say I’ve been enjoying every minute of owning my first Renault, it’s my daily driver and is perfect for my short runs to work.

I live in Sydney and hope to connect with any other 172/182 owners if they exist. The plan is to get to the track so I thought i’d Get on here to do some research on basic, low budget mods you would all recommend in preparation, I’m sure there’s plenty of threads/posts that have covered my generic questions. Would someone be kind enough to provide some essential links on... Sydney Renault track days, good mechanics, where parts get traded on here or anything else you might think could help a newbie?

thank you in advance!

josh

D6A92F87-11AF-49F1-A683-1908EAA303BC.jpeg

Welcome.

Best mechanics in Sydney are Miles and Julian from Renotech. They will give advice on what you need for track days also, including doing a high performance driving course!!

1 hour ago, slick said:

Welcome.

Best mechanics in Sydney are Miles and Julian from Renotech. They will give advice on what you need for track days also, including doing a high performance driving course!!

I second this, Julian and Miles are very helpful

Welcome to the forum! I saw you on the road the other day and the car was looking good.

Check out the NSW track day thread linked below to keep up with what’s going on. A few of us are headed to Wakefield Park this coming Friday. Hope to see you out there soon.

[Nsw] Track Days
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=5329&share_tid=25304&url=http://www.ozrenaultsport.com/index.php?/topic/25304-%5BNsw%5D-Track-Days&share_type=t

Thanks Deb, definitely keen to join you guys, unfortunately I’ve buckled a rim, which is in the work shop getting fixed with a rim respray to get rid of some gutter rash, but hopefully in the months to come I’ll be able to join. Question, it will be my first track day in car. Is there any prerequisites in regards to cams or club licensing at Wakefield?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I second this, Julian and Miles are very helpful

Thanks slick/404173,

I’ve ordered some brakes lines and pads, might get renotech to fit them for me as I’m not the most mechanically minded, do you guys know if they also stock decent tyres or spacers if not, any suggestion on where I could find these parts as I noticed a lot of places that stock these 172 parts don’t ship to Aus....

Thanks Deb, definitely keen to join you guys, unfortunately I’ve buckled a rim, which is in the work shop getting fixed with a rim respray to get rid of some gutter rash, but hopefully in the months to come I’ll be able to join. Question, it will be my first track day in car. Is there any prerequisites in regards to cams or club licensing at Wakefield?

You can get a AASA annual or day permit on their website, that’s all you need. Many of us have CAMS licences because you can use them for everything but you need to join a CAMS affiliated club. The RCCA is a good option.
  • Like 1

Wheel spacers: just say no. Won’t improve the handling - will probably make it worse - and are not road legal. 

For tyres, Michelin PS3 are good all weather daily drivers. For something more optimised for dry grip, Bridgestone RE003 and Hankook R-S3 and R-S4 are excellent and proven performers on the Clio and reasonably cheap in 195/50/15. 

Edited by vaughan

Hi Josh

Your car looks like a nice clean unit. The rego plates are awesome!

I'm in a similar boat to you - just bought my first Clio and intend to take it to Eastern Creek as often as I can.

I just got my car back from Renotech.  Julian and Miles did a full service and they are great to deal with. They refreshed all fluids and replaced a few worn items and the car is running very nicely now. I'm not sure what area of Sydney you live in but I did the return trip from Parramatta to Hornsby and it was well worth the drive.

If you are going to do regular track days I can recommend joining a car club like Southern Sporting Car Club. They participate in the Interclub Supersprint Series which is a well-organised group of clubs that run track days with timed laps. https://interclub.online/index.php

In terms of mods, I bought my car with a few track mods already done so you can have a look here for a list of possible mods for your car

http://www.ozrenaultsport.com/topic/30795-syd-fs-2002-flame-red-clio-172/

Wheel spacers: just say no. Won’t improve the handling - may make it worse - and not road legal. 

This is interesting, I get so many mixed opinions on spacers. I do admit the reason why I want them are more for aesthetic purposes but have been told by steering/suspension mechanics that they do help widen your track therefore improve cornering....?

Could you maybe shed some light on how they may make steering worse? As for not being legal, spacers can be easily removed after track use.

Hi Josh
Your car looks like a nice clean unit. The rego plates are awesome!
I'm in a similar boat to you - just bought my first Clio and intend to take it to Eastern Creek as often as I can.
I just got my car back from Renotech.  Julian and Miles did a full service and they are great to deal with. They refreshed all fluids and replaced a few worn items and the car is running very nicely now. I'm not sure what area of Sydney you live in but I did the return trip from Parramatta to Hornsby and it was well worth the drive.
If you are going to do regular track days I can recommend joining a car club like Southern Sporting Car Club. They participate in the Interclub Supersprint Series which is a well-organised group of clubs that run track days with timed laps. https://interclub.online/index.php
In terms of mods, I bought my car with a few track mods already done so you can have a look here for a list of possible mods for your car
http://www.ozrenaultsport.com/topic/30795-syd-fs-2002-flame-red-clio-172/

Hey Batman,

Your ride is basically the set up I’m looking for! I bet you surprise plenty of powerful cars on the track!

I feel like I’m still a little fresh to join a club but will sign up and keep an eye out for well priced track days. Nothing wrong with a bit of competition as well right?

I’m around Kingsgrove but work north side so can always drop off before work, if you didn’t mind me asking, what should I budget for if I wanted a full service with fluids at renotech?

There are plenty of wheel and tyre options for the Clio - spacers are the least of your worries! Suspension refresh is probably the best starting point for any Clio. Even changing small things can be a world of difference depending on how many kays are on the car...

Will keep my eyes out for it around Sydney!

I’m glad I joined the group for this reason, excuse my lack of knowledge. I’m not looking for anything but the ability to use the full potential of the fantastic car I have with a little harm to the car.

The car only has 72k on it do we think it could do with a suspension refresh or can there be smaller adjustments be made if so what would help?

What do you want to use it for? If public road use: the stock setup is superb, just put on good tyres and have fresh fluids (oils, brake, cooling, power steering).

The stock setup is good for track work too. Lower and firmer suspension will be faster but at the expense of daily driving.

Age is the enemy so rubber and plastic parts perish. A change of bushes would freshen things up.

Later 172s and all 182s came with lower front wishbones that have more castor.  These are a direct swap, and in fact the older type are NLA, so that’s a good simple OEM upgrade. The bushes cone with the wishbone too. 

Apart from that, put a purple poly bushes in the dog bone engine mount. In fact, check that all mounts are ok and replace with stock if needed. 

Edited by vaughan
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 01/07/2018 at 6:21 PM, Jebathiki said:

...have been told by steering/suspension mechanics that they do help widen your track therefore improve cornering...

Do you ever wonder why automotive engineers spend years and millions of dollars in development, yet miss simple things like wheel spacers?

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...