172 Phase 1 #46 continued.

Basils

Hi Guys, thought I'd say hello instead of just stalking.  You have a great forum here and Ive learned a lot even before picking up my car. I'm the proud new caretaker of Clio 172 Ph1 #46 purchased from kaesh (Sam).  I've lusted after a 172 since 2001 and figured time is probably running out to own one.  Ive owned #46 a little under 24 hours and I've already got greasy fingernails but pretty happy so far.

First job was replacing throttle cable which Sam kindly supplied after volunteering to drop car off to the other side of Brisbane in the black of night with 1 strand out of 6 of the existing cable still intact.  After 30 mins of wrestling and 1 itchy arm throttle pedal is like butter. I took it in to get some sticky rubber. Very impressed with how the car drives after it's, from what I can gather, chequered 17 year history.

Next job is to sort out steering rack ends, maybe quieten the exhaust a touch and give it a clay bar and polish. I hope to use it as a daily driver for a few months before it becomes a weekend only car.  Thanks again Sam and looking forward to meeting more Renault folks.

Cheers, Joel.

20180525_154502.jpg

20180525_070341.jpg

• Like 9

Yes RE003s. You have keen eyes! Jax Tyres down the road had them for 120 a throw so I couldn't resist. Trying to resist the temptation to try them out before it has a proper alignment.... 

I hope that isn't the the case for #46 as the tyres I replaced don't indicate good things lol... No the tyres it came with were just to get it through roadworthy.  I agree with you. One look at a bald front left Winrun on the school run mobile and you can tell exactly how it's been treated.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in Brisbane for 2 years but I just moved back to Sydney in mid-April.

Last year I put belts into the NSW Clio after the water pump shat itself (belts were due in about 9 months anyway) and have just put a new clutch in it as well, so it's had a bit of money spent on it in the last 2 years. The QLD one I just fixed the left side gearbox mount but am having trouble with keys and immobilisers, though I may have fixed it (by re-soldering everything on the key PLIP circuit board). So only now are both working again. :)

I saw that P1 when @kaesh had it. He helped me diagnose some vibration in my QLD 172 which turned out to be drive shafts (and the gearbox mount which I just fixed). LOLS to Sam and I driving around with me hanging out the passenger window looking for bouncing wheels.🤣

You ABSOLUTELY need to get onto the roads around the Glass House Mountains. Beerwah, Peachester, Mt Mee, Bellthorpe Range Road, Campbells Pocket Road. Closer to Brisbane is the Mt Nebo and Mt Glorious run -- @Iconic83 can show you the way in his 182. :hyper:

Edited by vaughan
  • Like 1

Oh right just in time for the cold!

Water pump would have been a nice surprise.  Lucky you were on top of it and didn't end up with further damage.   In my very limited experience I've noticed that keys and the immobiliser seem to be one of those issues (1 out of the four of my keys works properly) lol. 

So you've experienced 46. She's rough to say the least but I really like the look of the phase 1. I've wanted one since 2001 when I was driving a crappy 323 SP20 and my friend bought one.   I should have been more careful to make sure I was up to the task of taking care of it but it will get there in the end I hope, whether with me or another owner.

I used to know most of those roads pretty well when I last owned a fun car but I've been driving a land barge for the last few years.  It's refreshing to have something that goes where it's pointed and that I want to drive for the experience of it.  Definitely keen to learn a good loop!