Saying hello after some lurking

SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Hey guys and girls, 

I've been lurking a bit, reading up on the Clio IV RS 200 Sport & 220 Trophy.

I drove a new 220 and thought it was great, but my wife might prefer the Sport if the Trophy is deemed too firm.

It would be as a weekend car but probably only used a few times per month so hopefully I can talk her into the Trophy.

• Like 1

Trophy 220 is a better car but downside is that the ride is even firmer than the 200 Cup. Well worth the extra $7k or so though if you mainly use it as a weekender and for occasional track work.

Edited by chris043

1 hour ago, R17G said:

I have had the Trophy for a bit over a year now. Feel free to ask any questions.

i have read the Trophy has a larger turbo, is this true?

1 hour ago, chris043 said:

Trophy 220 is a better car but downside is that the ride is even firmer than the 200 Cup. Well worth the extra $7k or so though if you mainly use it as a weekender and for occasional track work.

I may take it to the track so my mate can see how it compares to his WRX race car.  I might have a few laps in it myself.

What are the main differences with the facelift, besides the new DRLs?

1 hour ago, SuckSqueezeBangBlow said:

i have read the Trophy has a larger turbo, is this true?

What are the main differences with the facelift, besides the new DRLs?

Bigger turbo, 20 more horses (15kw), extra 40 torques compared to the early Clio IV, more responsive gearbox, better steering wheel paddles, firmer suspension, minor cosmetic changes.

Strangely ths 220 is only a little quicker than the 200 in straight line acceleration however I imagine the extra torque would certainly be noticeable particularly on the track.

Edited by chris043

I put a list of the differences with the 220 and facelift 220 in the 220 trophy register blog. Mechanically they are identical. The Akrapovic doesn't improve performance, but does improve noise (but pre facelift noise still nice when putting the foot down). 

The main differences to the RS200 are the turbo, larger air intake, faster steering rack, lower ride height, different spring rates, different roll bars, shorter travel on paddles, different gearbox software, stop/start (now on all facelift models), different exhaust, Michelin Pilot Super Sports, some software settings.

The update model is a slightly nicer place to be inside, but pre facelift had unique seats with Trophy logo.

All of the release info said a larger turbo and on one of my posts I did actually find the model. I think physically it is the same size, but it spins faster (different model to RS200).

I believe it is very similar to the NISMO Juke motor, but with more power.

And the ride? Well it depends on what you are used to. I find my wife's Liberty too soft. I think it is better than my previous Megane Cup. The hydraulic bump stops really stop the car crashing over the bumps, but the car is firmly sprung. Personally I think it suits the car. Very relaxing to drive on the highway if that helps.

Fastest regular production Clio built so far. Almost as fast as the stripped out R26R at the Nurburgring. I seem to recall Motor Mag recorded a 6.4s 0-100km/h. But of course it is all about the corners. Check out FastestLaps.com. 

I knew the facelift was coming when I bought mine and I do like the update lights, but I got a good price. Mind you I do like that RS18 all in black. I notice some damn good prices going around for the pre facelift, including some basically new ones. Full retail on one of these is over $42000, which is a lot of money. If I had to replace mine, I would save the money and buy a pre facelift one. And I do like the diamond cut wheels better!

• Like 1

Sorry....I think I misunderstood you SSBB.

You were referring to the facelift for the latest 220 model over the first 220 model?

I so, what Chuck said and torque rise from 260 nm. to 280 nm. I believe.

Just now, chris043 said:

Sorry....I think I misunderstood you SSBB.

You were referring to the facelift for the latest 220 model over the first 220 model?

I so, what Chuck said and torque rise from 260 nm. to 280 nm. I believe.

Torque is the same for both 220's. It is 280 nm in the higher gears.

9 hours ago, R17G said:

I notice some damn good prices going around for the pre facelift, including some basically new ones. Full retail on one of these is over $42000, which is a lot of money. If I had to replace mine, I would save the money and buy a pre facelift one. And I do like the diamond cut wheels better!

Yeah, I noticed this weekend some demo 2016 220's going for low 30's driveaway. Crazy bargain.

I drove a Trophy at Brookvale which had 40km (not 40k km) built mid 2016, complied September 2017, and had RS monitor for 32888.  Seemed too good to be true.  Unfortunately it was Frost white (don't want matte paint) and you could tell it had been sitting on the docks as there was rust starting to appear on the door hinge, not to mention the cobwebs, interior was in need of a very thorough  clean, there was white crap in the speaker grills etc

Shamer really but you can imagine how many cold starts it has had etc, and didn't look well cared for.

There’s a few of those around. If it was me, I’d lowball the dealer. If they can’t prep a car to support their price, then they should suffer the consequences. And it would soon look pretty good with a little TLC.

As a price guide, a number of these were sitting in various Melb dealers at under $30k, plus govt charges. I’d be cheeky enough to offer

With modern oils, I wouldn't be too worried about a few cold starts. Unless this has caused condensation in the muffler. Not prepping the car is another matter. Offer them $30k, enough left over for a good detail. Agree about the matt paint, but it does look good with the gloss black roof.

Haven't yet, I wanted new but the used car prices are very appealing, especially around the 20k km mark.

I like the early LE Trophy seats better anyway and surely remapping would result in similar results?

I've never been a good car negotiater, Ive often bought the first car Ive driven.  This time I'm taking my time to compare between what's available so I can better value each example

5 minutes ago, SuckSqueezeBangBlow said:

Haven't yet, I wanted new but the used car prices are very appealing, especially around the 20k km mark.

I like the early LE Trophy seats better anyway and surely remapping would result in similar results?

I've never been a good car negotiater, Ive often bought the first car Ive driven.  This time I'm taking my time to compare between what's available so I can better value each example

Good luck. Do you mean a remap for the 220? The motors are the same in all 220's. Newer 220's are no different. However if you just want more power, I have heard of 300HP with the standard EDC reliably. Also I think 220's have an extra 300rpm on the limiter compared to 200's.

On 3/27/2018 at 12:24 PM, SuckSqueezeBangBlow said:

I drove a Trophy at Brookvale which had 40km (not 40k km) built mid 2016, complied September 2017, and had RS monitor for 32888.  Seemed too good to be true.  Unfortunately it was Frost white (don't want matte paint) and you could tell it had been sitting on the docks as there was rust starting to appear on the door hinge, not to mention the cobwebs, interior was in need of a very thorough  clean, there was white crap in the speaker grills etc

Shamer really but you can imagine how many cold starts it has had etc, and didn't look well cared for.

We test drove a frost white Trophy with 23km on it earlier in the year - the car hadn't even arrived at the dealership when we enquired about it... went for a test drive the following week once they had it delivered - and it looked quite dirty.

Immediately raised a red flag with the missus regarding maintaining the paintwork and it would have been her daily. Great to drive but dealer lost the sale due to not having the car look immaculate.