New Megane RS 250 Cup Trophee

marcuscurran

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to say a friendly hello and introduce myself. I just bought my first Renault - one I've wanted for years. It's a 2011 250 Cup Trophee in silver with black interior. I've only driven it a small amount but am already in awe of it!

I'm thinking of a few little things to change but nothing drastic as it is already so good. What would be a good suggestion for possible exhaust upgrades. Would a cat-back system be the best or can you just get away with a downpipe? If so for either answer, what are my best options?

I'm also thinking of painting the silver parts of the wheels (not a massive fan of two tone wheels) but I was wondering if anyone else has done this and what their thoughts were before and after.

Looking forward to getting some feedback and contributing to other conversations!

IMG_20180303_111408.jpg

IMG_20180304_102737.jpg

• Like 3

Get yourself a Superpro rear anti-roll bar for the car first - best $ value mod you can do to the car, improves turn-in tremendously.

Loads of threads on here about exhausts, have a search.

• Like 1

Congrats on the purchase she looks super clean and well kept!

heaps of threads on first mods to read up on. But mid box chop is your best bet for exhaust upgrades.

of course you can repaint the wheels (whether DIY or professional) 

I repainted a set to satin black with spray cans. 

2f7b9fac129d262e238f2f76e70109b6.jpg

• Like 5

I love the silver! Very nice. Ive seen another forum member paint the wheels the same silver/grey as on the bumper/rear diffuser, if thats an idea for you? I recommend starting with the centre resonator cut out as said above, not very expensive and you can go from there

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for their comments!

The central resonator delete is a really good idea I hadn't considered yet. I might look into that first as it looks like it has worked for a few people looking at other threads. 

Some great ideas for the wheels too, I'll see how they look after a bit of time and make up my mind then.

Anything else I should know about the Megane I might not already know?

Nice looking car I originally wanted silver but had to get black. Get yourself a Renault Sport chrome ball gear knob from like eBay,  it feels soooo much better than the stock one but is a lot lighter. There is a performance shop in Bayswater Vic called Dynomotive who do remaps with stock Exhausts and intake that apparently are great bit I haven't done it yet. 

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I'd give an update on how the RS is going now that I am just over a month in. 

I had the mid silencer removed which I'm really happy with the result. It is a lot quieter than I thought it was going to be (almost stock level) but when in sport mode and at the right revs it will produce the best crack this side of a 675 LT, which is so awesome!

As well as that, I decided to take off the 'Megane' and 'RS' badges for a really clean look on the rear, and I'm really happy with the results. Let me know what you think though - I guess the good thing is if I ever change my mind I can just put them back on.

I took the car for a great drive, completely impromptu, up to the Hunter Valley through the Old Pacific Highway and Peats Ridge Road. It was so good getting it out on the fast flowing bits through there, going through there at the speed limit of 100KPH is done at absolute ease in the RS.

Only a couple of gripes so far; one is the 'braking system fault' warning will come up if I am on the brakes for more than about 4-5 seconds, but then it goes away straight away. Anyone else experienced this? And as well as that, every now and then when going above 3000 RPM a 'check injection system' warning comes up too. I've read that this could be a turbo pressure sensor but the symptoms synonymous with that aren't what I have (my car feels completely normal) - and the light goes off straight away as well so I'm a bit confused. Let me know what you think.

Overall I couldn't be happier, it's everything I hoped for and more. I'll attach some pictures of it so far!

IMG_20180408_145957.jpg

IMG_20180408_142859.jpg

IMG_20180407_182519.jpg

IMG_20180317_191453.jpg

• Like 3

Nice work mate. 

I did the same debadge but left the RS on. Gotta rep the brand :headbang:

For the exhaust get yourself a sports muffler. I went the Magnaflow. Really nice sound and no drone.

I've had the brake light come on a couple of times during ownership but I just put it down to another Renault quirk.

• Like 1

Sacré bleu, you debadgers just do my head in but we're all different and this is what makes life interesting but I think debadging is for the JDM crowd.

Just stay away from my Megane with your sinful, wicked hands and may Renault have mercy on your souls :D

marcuscurran remember to remove the sound deadener material from/towards the rear of the air filter box, you'll get better intake sound if this is what you're after.

Edited by RS250CUP
  • Like 2

great to see you're enjoying the Meggy and getting out on some twisty roads

Walkie likes debadging ... i explained that people used to debadge other peoples cars with a screw driver and put the trophy on their belt buckle. how the world has changed

• Like 3

I dont have anything intelligent to add except congrats and I had a 206 GTI and upgrading to an RS (Clio III in my case) from the luke warm Pug was the best decision I ever made. Enjoy yourself

• Like 1

18 hours ago, marcuscurran said:

Thought I'd give an update on how the RS is going now that I am just over a month in. 

I had the mid silencer removed which I'm really happy with the result. It is a lot quieter than I thought it was going to be (almost stock level) but when in sport mode and at the right revs it will produce the best crack this side of a 675 LT, which is so awesome!

As well as that, I decided to take off the 'Megane' and 'RS' badges for a really clean look on the rear, and I'm really happy with the results. Let me know what you think though - I guess the good thing is if I ever change my mind I can just put them back on.

I took the car for a great drive, completely impromptu, up to the Hunter Valley through the Old Pacific Highway and Peats Ridge Road. It was so good getting it out on the fast flowing bits through there, going through there at the speed limit of 100KPH is done at absolute ease in the RS.

Only a couple of gripes so far; one is the 'braking system fault' warning will come up if I am on the brakes for more than about 4-5 seconds, but then it goes away straight away. Anyone else experienced this? And as well as that, every now and then when going above 3000 RPM a 'check injection system' warning comes up too. I've read that this could be a turbo pressure sensor but the symptoms synonymous with that aren't what I have (my car feels completely normal) - and the light goes off straight away as well so I'm a bit confused. Let me know what you think.

Overall I couldn't be happier, it's everything I hoped for and more. I'll attach some pictures of it so far!

IMG_20180408_145957.jpg

IMG_20180408_142859.jpg

IMG_20180407_182519.jpg

IMG_20180317_191453.jpg

Looking good! Although my preference is to retain the RS badge.

With regard to the brake warning , check the fluid level and the brake pad (thickness) material remaining. The fluid level tends to go down, in the reservoir, when the brake pads wear,which is one of the things the sensor picks up, causing the dash light to show. General consensus seems to be not to 'top up' as when the pads are replaced it will force the brake fluid back up into the reservoir causing it to exceed MAX level and possibly overflow. If you have to 'top up' continually find the reason why, could be a leak in the system. Shouldn't be an issue if the car has been serviced regularly. 

If aware of all this, disregard the forgoing, sorry if telling you 'how to suck eggs'. :D

• Like 3

Certainly doesn't look like everyone is a fan of the debadge! But that's okay, everyone has different tastes. My theory behind it was obviously for a clean look, and for those who know what they're looking at don't need an RS badge to tell them it's an RS. 

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I'm taking it on a big trip down to the Snowy Mountains in a couple of weeks so I'll really get to know the car well then. Have a pretty exciting route planned! I'll post some pictures from the drive when I'm back home.

• Like 2

Certainly doesn't look like everyone is a fan of the debadge! But that's okay, everyone has different tastes. My theory behind it was obviously for a clean look, and for those who know what they're looking at don't need an RS badge to tell them it's an RS. 

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I'm taking it on a big trip down to the Snowy Mountains in a couple of weeks so I'll really get to know the car well then. Have a pretty exciting route planned! I'll post some pictures from the drive when I'm back home.

You can always post a drive shout out on the NSW short drive thread as there may be others interested if you're keen to meet some other Renault owners.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

It's update time!

I'm pleased to report there isn't much to report! The car has been seriously good at the weekender role and has picked up a bit more of a daily role now that I don't have a work car anymore (not that I use it to commute). I've done way more 'kays' in it than I thought I would (8,000) since March which isn't bad for a something that is driven almost exclusively on weekends! But I have no complaints or reports to talk about which is great.

It's just ticked over 60,000 in the last week and is scheduled to go to Reno Tech for the next service which I believe is a bit more major at this point. Unfortunately I'm not aware of the timing belt history so I'm going to get it done out of precaution and if it's been done recently I don't want to know! Other things on the cards are going to be new tyres all round. I'm going to go for some Michelin PS4S, even though I was originally thinking some Cup 2's but I feel like they may be a bit overkill and it would be good to save some money at the same time too.

I also bought a Maxton Design spoiler lip in the last few weeks which I think adds nicely to the rear and was super easy to install. I think I'll get a Rhino Lip for it too in the next few months when I get some time. Any suggestions on which "universal" one to get?

Please excuse/enjoy some spam from the last few months of photos.

IMG_0050_edited-2.jpg

IMG_20180603_075947.jpg

IMG_20180603_081247.jpg

IMG_20180707_094113.jpg

IMG_20180805_092923.jpg

IMG_20180805_134847.jpg

IMG_20180819_093004.jpg

IMG_20180825_152008.jpg

IMG-0173.JPG

IMG-0201.JPG

IMG-0202.JPG

IMG-0223.JPG

IMG-0256.JPG

IMG-0260.JPG

IMG-0261.JPG

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Hey everyone,

This thread is long overdue for an update on my Megane. It’s been two and a half years since I picked it up and I couldn’t be happier. Since the last update I have just been enjoying the car for what it’s meant for, lots of spirited drives and road trips. In June of 2019 I took the car up the coast to Byron Bay for the weekend which was great, the Recaro seats are surprisingly comfortable even on a 9 hour + drive. Then in June of this year I took it down to Melbourne (in between restrictions thankfully) and took the coastal route back up (ended up being a bit much in one day)! Outside of the big trips it’s been such a joy taking it out on day trips on the weekend, I couldn’t ask for a better car to take with me. 

Maintenance has been super easy as well with Julian and Miles taking care of it at Renotech. It’s had the timing belt done, major service (plus a few minor services), new battery, new wipers, new Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tyres, but nothing outside of general upkeep to worry about. I plan on keeping the car for a long time to come, and hope to put many very happy miles on it. 

Only changes made since the last update is I have taken off the Maxton design rear lip (it was lifting up on the sides), changed the gear knob to the metal variant from Renault, and some branded Renault Sport floor mats. The next thing on the horizon is to re-trim the steering wheel in alcantara like the Trophy R.

Hope the update has been enjoyable! I’ll attach some highlights from the last little while of the adventures I’ve had with this awesome car. 

48DF5113-0F67-4929-BF62-89F5A7551A29.jpeg

189FFDB9-DCA4-4510-988C-B0C40660DBFC.jpeg

865185B0-5489-45A0-A55F-02235DD399AC.jpeg

25D11D65-7A59-4409-971F-AA35E6F0D881.jpeg

EF59CAD8-BD41-4EB0-A0E6-A0CFE0B0AF4F.jpeg

459B96B0-FE1B-4409-BB1C-E8457B84F9B5.jpeg

639D5955-11AF-46DE-A601-D052E2EF06B4.jpeg

59BB90D9-67AF-4968-ACF4-EDD4DBA94516.jpeg

46E4484A-5614-43FB-ADF3-956097FF3A5D.jpeg

B34BBBEF-D571-4FE8-9886-073F245F9680.jpeg

235BF4AA-7181-4430-A344-63FBFA80EE37.jpeg

422321F1-260C-43C1-B880-E10FDB82F0BC.jpeg

69BC19F8-DD3A-4A98-BB22-59178853C995.jpeg

C9B5AC40-0D5F-4BA9-B0D0-29D3AE805729.jpeg

3E867656-5C86-49D5-9637-F09D92382BB9.jpeg

C6906A32-2176-4B83-ACCF-3D354044874A.jpeg

1DCC0515-69B2-4275-BEBF-E4DB38E83C26.jpeg

042B8811-F9AB-4F3C-9398-6D480BA75F08.jpeg

8D658069-D64C-43D0-9571-0DF5ACCF7642.jpeg

CAEC8B73-8DF6-4D20-8070-3730BA111050.jpeg

0572CA78-9AD7-4FFF-B960-10ABC454CAD9.jpeg

13F5A4CF-C210-4395-B265-F7419AB2B8CC.jpeg

1979A978-D3F1-4A16-A2BE-4355572C665D.jpeg

1B8B2A41-F872-4A66-963D-C3B93A7F0FF5.jpeg

• Like 10

A Man and his RS on an amazing adventure. The pics look awesome mate 😍

I agree with the Recaro comment and how comfortable they are on long journeys. We would regularly do Melbourne to Parkes and never once felt sore after arriving. 

Curious how many km you have on the silver arrow...

Love it. Great photo diary! Always thought the 250 looked fantastic in silver as well as being relatively rare [emoji7]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, HomerRS said:

A Man and his RS on an amazing adventure. The pics look awesome mate 😍

I agree with the Recaro comment and how comfortable they are on long journeys. We would regularly do Melbourne to Parkes and never once felt sore after arriving. 

Curious how many km you have on the silver arrow...

Thanks mate! It's on 86,000 now, and I picked it up with just over 50,000 so not too bad for a weekender haha. I plan on keeping it long term and putting many more happy miles on it

4 hours ago, walkie86 said:

Love it. Great photo diary! Always thought the 250 looked fantastic in silver as well as being relatively rare emoji7.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Alex! I'm a big fan of silver cars so when I was looking for my RS I was definitely on the look out for a Mercury Silver car

• Like 2