Newfound love for Renault Sport

t_bund

Hi all,

Hoping that it’s ok I post up in here without actually being a Renault owner (yet)!

Quick background: I currently own a Honda Integra Type R (DC2) so I’m no stranger to reasonably quick FWD cars. Essentially after getting married last year and moving house, it’s time (somewhat unfortunately) that I move on to something a bit more family friendly, while hopefully retaining a fun dynamic.

This is where the Megane RS enters. Up until the past year or so, Meganes and Renaults I’m generally haven’t done much for me. Not because they’re not awesome cars but because (as most of you might be aware) Renault isn’t really held in high regards in Australia until more recently.

Having been to the track numerous times, it wasn’t until my cars at the time (MKV GTI and S14 200sx, both reasonably modified) struggled to get passed a Clio 172 on track...my mind was blown! Following this I purchased MY DC2R right around the same time my good friend bought a 250RS Megane. We went down the coast a few times and while I loved the Integra screaming to near-9k rpm and having a great LSD and unreal handling dynamics for a FWD (especially for the time), dropping into the seat of the 250RS enlightened me to how good Renault Sport truly is. Steering feel was phenomenal and the front diff couples with (some great tyres) and a incredible chassis left me fog smacked at how far the FWD game has come (and I was ready an advocate for fwd!).

Anyway I’m spurting stuff that you’re all no doubt familiar with, but what I’m saying is that I’ll hopefully join this community within the next month. Have plenty of interest on the DC2R and while I’ll miss it’s raw nature, I think any Megane 250RS that I take ownership of will be better equipped to do the daily family duties while also delivering the thrills on track and on spirited drives. Consider me a newfound Renault fan boy.

I’ll post a few pics of my current and previous cars below. More than happy to answer any questions you have surrounding ownership etc of any vehicle (feel free to reply below or private message).

Watch this space as I believe very shortly I’ll be part of the Renault community.

Yours sincerely,

A recently converted Renault enthusiast

6fba0bb6ac3c49e462e00cc241657eff.jpg

142e0894f1086ecea5ea519c7c4119c0.jpg

eaeedac2bdea1de147293b3aa068cf37.jpg

ca7d0028578ac2e2f30596f3fa44a745.jpg

4191e686a6dac26b5f76fd0979f494dd.jpg

45b3c11dd64a20c19af3477a838bf5de.jpg

0aef10853a2158a5c7db8dafa3cb0bea.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 10

I sold my Megane rs250 as it wasn't family friendly enough. The need for 4 doors was too strong. While I love my MY15 STi, I miss my Meg badly... I should have just kept it.

Watch out. The Renault bug bites hard. Before you know if you'll own a Clio 172/182!

• Like 1

Thanks for the warm welcomes!

I agree that the Renault community seems a bit more mature/no nonsense. Extremely capable cars that (for some reason) don’t appeal to the hordes of....”hoons/egotists that plague the other forums (don’t get me wrong, plenty of sensible people too! Just seem to have a bigger mixed bag).

Fortunately I’ve had a bit of exposure of late to friends with clios/meganes, and as far as I’m concerned there no other car out there that, bang for buck, will compete with either in their given price bracket.

Having said that, if you ever get a chance to drive a DC2R through some twisty roads, please jump at the opportunity. Gotta day it’s he most fun car I’ve owned and has a tendency to oversteer more than my s14 did! It’s quite the aural experience.

Being as impartial as possible, the only drawback to owning a RS250 from my experiences are:
a) rear view/blind spot is massive
b) slightly less aftermarket support in Aus than my previous “jdm” cars (although aside from tyres and a tune, is there much more that’s needed?)
c) the controls take a bit to get used to as a newcomer

Aside from that, everything is driver focused! Great pedal positioning, steering feel, slick 6 speed, recaros, brembos, short gear ratios, killer LSD, solid chassis, the list goes on.

I know I’ll miss the Integra but at the same time, I can’t wait :)

• Like 1

Yes welcome. I’m a long term offender. Had my 172 for about 11 years now. It’s been very reliable actually and terribly fun. Just undertaken proper maintenance and thanks to this great forum and support from RSTunersecured the biggest first aid kit one can imagine should anything typical go wrong. Diagnostics are hard wired into the car but only needed it once.

I’m a proper long term Renault driver actually never owned a differing brand. Scary eh ... 31 yrs .. Renault ha ha.

• Like 1

Thanks for the warm welcomes!

I agree that the Renault community seems a bit more mature/no nonsense. Extremely capable cars that (for some reason) don’t appeal to the hordes of....”hoons/egotists that plague the other forums (don’t get me wrong, plenty of sensible people too! Just seem to have a bigger mixed bag).

Fortunately I’ve had a bit of exposure of late to friends with clios/meganes, and as far as I’m concerned there no other car out there that, bang for buck, will compete with either in their given price bracket.

Having said that, if you ever get a chance to drive a DC2R through some twisty roads, please jump at the opportunity. Gotta day it’s he most fun car I’ve owned and has a tendency to oversteer more than my s14 did! It’s quite the aural experience.

Being as impartial as possible, the only drawback to owning a RS250 from my experiences are:
b) slightly less aftermarket support in Aus than my previous “jdm” cars (although aside from tyres and a tune, is there much more that’s needed?)

Aside from that, everything is driver focused! Great pedal positioning, steering feel, slick 6 speed, recaros, brembos, short gear ratios, killer LSD, solid chassis, the list goes on.

I know I’ll miss the Integra but at the same time, I can’t wait [emoji4]

I too was initially worried about the rear view and blind spot since a few has brought it up. But I never really have any problems to be honest. Once you get used to it, all becomes second nature.
Aftermarket support I guess in terms of products, yes it’s not as much but tuners like Ace can help you out.
Controls are easy to get used to. I’m sure after 5 minutes you won’t even notice.

I had a Clio 182 Cup previously which I sold to buy a house. What a regret that was. Got a WRX which always seemed lacking somewhere so now back in a Megane! Still think that 182 Cup is the best car I’ve owned. Wonder where it is now.

Oh if you end up looking for a Megane, try to find one with Recaros. It makes a huge difference.

• Like 1

I too was initially worried about the rear view and blind spot since a few has brought it up. But I never really have any problems to be honest. Once you get used to it, all becomes second nature.
Aftermarket support I guess in terms of products, yes it’s not as much but tuners like Ace can help you out.
Controls are easy to get used to. I’m sure after 5 minutes you won’t even notice.

I had a Clio 182 Cup previously which I sold to buy a house. What a regret that was. Got a WRX which always seemed lacking somewhere so now back in a Megane! Still think that 182 Cup is the best car I’ve owned. Wonder where it is now.

Oh if you end up looking for a Megane, try to find one with Recaros. It makes a huge difference.

Yeh I agree with you there, I’m really being picky to find many downsides. And like you say, after a brief period you’d become very familiar with the cars dimensions/controls.

And yes, DEFINITELY option for Cup Trophy just for the Recaros, the other seats still do a fine job holding you in place but the Recaros make he interior that touch more special (CS sportsters being the best looking ones on the market IMHO).

And fortunately enough for you that Clio 182s prices are very accessible now if you feel the need to get back into one (and I can see why you would!). Unreal performance bargain.

Welcome mate! Love the DC2R - One day I'll have one in the garage. 
I've recently come across from VWs to RS and I'm loving the change!

Haha good to hear. I’m starting to see a general trend/pattern of people converting to RS and never looking back. It’s a good sign!

• Like 3

19 hours ago, t_bund said:

Although I've never driven a Honda.. Ive owned a Clio 182 previously and they are amazing (apparently I've 'downgraded'). I would recommend having a drive of a 172/182

I suppose it depends on what you plan to do with the Megane, but standard they are very capable. In my opinion they are a car that can do abit of everything though limited with the two doors. If your thinking of carrying people in the back I would suggest having a look at few before you buy. Im not sure about the meganes without recaros.. but I'm reasonably tall and theres not a lot of room behind the drivers seat recaro.

As said above you will adjust to the blind spot but its not that bad anyway.  Feel free to ask any questions, happy to answer

Might have something of interest for you mate....
Depending on how long new Megane takes to get here and what the Trophy model will be...

Haha keep me posted. I’m extremely keen to see the release of the new Megane. Power, chassis and 4WS. Looking forward to future hot hatch comparisons, I’d happily blindly sign up for one if I had the funds.

• Like 1

Although I've never driven a Honda.. Ive owned a Clio 182 previously and they are amazing (apparently I've 'downgraded'). I would recommend having a drive of a 172/182
I suppose it depends on what you plan to do with the Megane, but standard they are very capable. In my opinion they are a car that can do abit of everything though limited with the two doors. If your thinking of carrying people in the back I would suggest having a look at few before you buy. Im not sure about the meganes without recaros.. but I'm reasonably tall and theres not a lot of room behind the drivers seat recaro.
As said above you will adjust to the blind spot but its not that bad anyway.  Feel free to ask any questions, happy to answer

Haha it seems I’m the opposite. Experienced the Integra but never been in a clio (although seen them action and they’ve been very impressive). Comparisons that I’ve read have shown both he clio and Integra to be very closely matched, the fact you can get clios so cheap these days make them all the better investment!

I’ve sat in the back of a few RS250 and while they’re no E class Mercedes, they’re far better than my current set up. I agree with you that it’s the best all round choice. Having previously come from a GTI, they’re a great daily but definitely lack when pushed on track (except for the clubsport/edition 40! My friend has one and the thing is seriously quick).

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE:
Officially popped the Honda up for sale this morning and the new owner drove it away less than 10 hours later (as soon as I knocked off work!).

Anyway sad to see it go, but now it’s time to go hunting for he right RS250 Megane!

Will be sure to post up shots of the new car in a few days/weeks/months once I’ve found the right one :wink:

Excited to be apart of the club.

• Like 2

Beautiful DC2R and S14. Great machines, a DC2R needs to make its way into my garage one day. Mate of mine might end up in an S chassis soon and I'm looking forward to giving it a spin.

That said a 250 cup trophee should make a perfect replacement! Will be an excellent daily driver for you and before long you might even get a 172 to share the driveway :wink:

Beautiful DC2R and S14. Great machines, a DC2R needs to make its way into my garage one day. Mate of mine might end up in an S chassis soon and I'm looking forward to giving it a spin.

That said a 250 cup trophee should make a perfect replacement! Will be an excellent daily driver for you and before long you might even get a 172 to share the driveway :wink:

Yeh def have a go in he s chassis, stock form they aren’t super exciting but a few bolt ons and they become a very fun car. Very predictable RWD car too. I took it to a skid pan once and had zero drifting experience. By the end of he day I felt pretty confident linking turns up etc. Having said that I’m much more into grip and with some good suspension and tyre set up I had blast and the tail stayed in check.

I need to get into a 172, mate of mine has a track one and he’s been hassling me to pop in one day.

And just like that, I’m now a proud owner of an RS250 trophy.

Went and looked at a couple, favourite colour was grey but this blue one was mechanically sound and maintained very well by the owner. Too good to pass up.

Need to take some good photos ASAP, res delete and then pretty much enjoy!

d54362fe9b688edba18b1f9ed9a60d91.jpg

• Like 13

Congrats on the purchase!
beautiful colour as well. I think the blue only came on the 250 model so you have a rare piece!
100% on the res delete, can also remove the foam inside the airbox and swap for an oil filter for bit more induction noise.
Enjoy your new beast! 

Thanks mate. Oh really? Good to know. Blue wasn’t my first pick but it’s growing on me fast.

And good point, I’ll remove the foam tonight and likely order k&n filter (or similar).

Hopefully weld in a res delete next week too!

Thanks for the advice guys. Had the res delete done today. Sports mode and a hot exhaust = loud pops and bangs! Bit more of a growling note too which I much prefer. For the meantime I’ll be happy with this however I can see myself replacing the back box with a smaller muffler in the future. We will see. Last few cars have been quite loud so kinda nice to have something a bit more refined! Will see if the mod bug bites.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 18/01/2018 at 8:19 PM, t_bund said:

Hi all,

Hoping that it’s ok I post up in here without actually being a Renault owner (yet)!

Quick background: I currently own a Honda Integra Type R (DC2) so I’m no stranger to reasonably quick FWD cars. Essentially after getting married last year and moving house, it’s time (somewhat unfortunately) that I move on to something a bit more family friendly, while hopefully retaining a fun dynamic.

This is where the Megane RS enters. Up until the past year or so, Meganes and Renaults I’m generally haven’t done much for me. Not because they’re not awesome cars but because (as most of you might be aware) Renault isn’t really held in high regards in Australia until more recently.

Having been to the track numerous times, it wasn’t until my cars at the time (MKV GTI and S14 200sx, both reasonably modified) struggled to get passed a Clio 172 on track...my mind was blown! Following this I purchased MY DC2R right around the same time my good friend bought a 250RS Megane. We went down the coast a few times and while I loved the Integra screaming to near-9k rpm and having a great LSD and unreal handling dynamics for a FWD (especially for the time), dropping into the seat of the 250RS enlightened me to how good Renault Sport truly is. Steering feel was phenomenal and the front diff couples with (some great tyres) and a incredible chassis left me fog smacked at how far the FWD game has come (and I was ready an advocate for fwd!).

Anyway I’m spurting stuff that you’re all no doubt familiar with, but what I’m saying is that I’ll hopefully join this community within the next month. Have plenty of interest on the DC2R and while I’ll miss it’s raw nature, I think any Megane 250RS that I take ownership of will be better equipped to do the daily family duties while also delivering the thrills on track and on spirited drives. Consider me a newfound Renault fan boy.

I’ll post a few pics of my current and previous cars below. More than happy to answer any questions you have surrounding ownership etc of any vehicle (feel free to reply below or private message).

Watch this space as I believe very shortly I’ll be part of the Renault community.

Yours sincerely,

A recently converted Renault enthusiast

6fba0bb6ac3c49e462e00cc241657eff.jpg

142e0894f1086ecea5ea519c7c4119c0.jpg

eaeedac2bdea1de147293b3aa068cf37.jpg

ca7d0028578ac2e2f30596f3fa44a745.jpg

4191e686a6dac26b5f76fd0979f494dd.jpg

45b3c11dd64a20c19af3477a838bf5de.jpg

0aef10853a2158a5c7db8dafa3cb0bea.jpg

We're fairly similar in car choices... Had a big power R33 GTS-T back in the day then switched to a DC2R that I owned for 10 years. Sold that and jumped in to an R26 Megane which was sadly taken away from me in a not at fault accident...

I'm still in the hunt for the perfect Megane III which will be res deleted and a few nice mods/tune.. Been car-less for 3 months now!

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/5/2018 at 4:46 PM, RedMistVIP said:

We're fairly similar in car choices... Had a big power R33 GTS-T back in the day then switched to a DC2R that I owned for 10 years. Sold that and jumped in to an R26 Megane which was sadly taken away from me in a not at fault accident...

I'm still in the hunt for the perfect Megane III which will be res deleted and a few nice mods/tune.. Been car-less for 3 months now!

Haha wow there ya go! Yeh theres days where I'll miss the DC2R and S14, but neither can compete with the more modern offerings that come with the Megane. No idea how you've lasted 3 months without a car!!! Happy hunting! I think a tune is on the cars for me very soon too. After completing a track day a few weeks ago and going for a blast through the local twisites on the weekend, I don't think more power is needed, but it would definitely be nice! Drove a mate MKII Focus RS back to back with the Megane on the weekend too an while it's not really any faster in a straight line objuectively, the pulling sensation (and 5cyl warble!) made it feel quicker from the drivers seat (which is weirdly high).

What power was your R33 making? I've always loved the RB25det and been for a few goes in my frieds R32 (with RB25det swap) making 270rwkw on 98 and 330rwkw on e85, its an animal.

21 minutes ago, t_bund said:

Haha wow there ya go! Yeh theres days where I'll miss the DC2R and S14, but neither can compete with the more modern offerings that come with the Megane. No idea how you've lasted 3 months without a car!!! Happy hunting! I think a tune is on the cars for me very soon too. After completing a track day a few weeks ago and going for a blast through the local twisites on the weekend, I don't think more power is needed, but it would definitely be nice! Drove a mate MKII Focus RS back to back with the Megane on the weekend too an while it's not really any faster in a straight line objuectively, the pulling sensation (and 5cyl warble!) made it feel quicker from the drivers seat (which is weirdly high).

What power was your R33 making? I've always loved the RB25det and been for a few goes in my frieds R32 (with RB25det swap) making 270rwkw on 98 and 330rwkw on e85, its an animal.

It was around 300 rwkw on 98 and keep in mind this was back in 2002 which was pretty good considering all the killerwasps the kids get these days. I always had a soft spot for honda and in particular the Integra. Found my Meg 3 by the way... A nice clean cup 265..

3 hours ago, RedMistVIP said:

It was around 300 rwkw on 98 and keep in mind this was back in 2002 which was pretty good considering all the killerwasps the kids get these days. I always had a soft spot for honda and in particular the Integra. Found my Meg 3 by the way... A nice clean cup 265..

300rkw is massive even by todays standards imho, let alone back then!!! Congrats on the Megane purchase, now go find some twisty roads :wink:

• Thanks 1