thinking about getting a clio rs20

Dom1994

so guys i test drove an rs200 and love it. i want to know whats the difference between a cup, trophy and sport 2013 to 2016 clio rs200 want to get the best value for money and planning on getting a stage 2 done to it when i get it :D also i live in Wollongong so anyone near should totally show me their beasts  

Renault changed their naming conventions - all you need to know is that Trophy and Premium are used interchangeably.

Models went:

• Sport 
  • Cup

Sport and Cup were available in non-Trophy/non-Premium or Trophy/Premium. The 220 was only a Trophy.

Trophy/Premium = Leather trim interior, RS Monitor, better sound system, reversing camera, PDC and climate control over the non version.

Cup has marginally lower suspention (couple of mm) and a slightly stiffer set up + black 18" wheels.

Edited by stromlo

so its better to get a cup because on my ps the trophy is banned :( is there a specific year model which is the best?

Whether the cup is or isn't the one to get vs the sport is a personal preference I guess. It's no faster or slower in daily use.

At some point during 2013, Renault offered 5 year warranties, so might want to check if whatever you find has some left.

Edited by stromlo

i have seen a few that are 2015 and for daily but track im assuming since the cup is stiffer and i want to stage 2 it would be better? 

i have seen a few that are 2015 and for daily but track im assuming since the cup is stiffer and i want to stage 2 it would be better? 

I've heard good things about the cup on the track, there were a couple of sports at Wakefield last forum track day, people seem pretty happy with them too.
If you're going to tune it you'll probably be putting on coilovers... If so, and if a sport is much cheaper, then get the sport. Then upgrade to wider rims/tyres.

40 minutes ago, Dom1994 said:

Simple answer is Yep...

4 hours ago, chuckovski said:

I've heard good things about the cup on the track, there were a couple of sports at Wakefield last forum track day, people seem pretty happy with them too.
If you're going to tune it you'll probably be putting on coilovers... If so, and if a sport is much cheaper, then get the sport. Then upgrade to wider rims/tyres.

Oh I sat in a sport yesterday and found the ride heght more then what I need again never tracked a car or had a modified one so is there a major improvement in having coil overs and also the sport has 17 cup has 18 so would that the car be more flush with the 18in 

15 minutes ago, Bingle said:

Renaultsports are the last cars in the world to need coilovers. You'll make it worse.

IMO only worth considering when you really start chasing quicker lap times and are reaching the limits of the standard suspension. That'll take some doing.

Haha I figured because when I sat in the sport and took it for a drive it was heaps low 

29 minutes ago, Bingle said:

Renaultsports are the last cars in the world to need coilovers. You'll make it worse.

IMO only worth considering when you really start chasing quicker lap times and are reaching the limits of the standard suspension. That'll take some doing.

This is what I never understand. A weekend install of coilovers all of a sudden is better for handling then Renaultsport's engineers designing the original system over years for the OEM car. I'm betting 99/100 putting on coilovers looks better but worsens handling.

• Like 1

This is a good point - are you going to the track to have fun or chase times? I'm satisfied with going and learning how to drive better and have fun.
In my opinion the black 18s look much better than the silver Tibors, though some disagree!
Maybe stick with the cup (unless like I said you can get a sport a lot cheaper, like I did!).
I find the sport very comfortable with ok handling, not to the point where I'll take it to the track over the Megane.
  • Like 1

the guy at rs tuning said the megane has weak points and the clio is a better tuning plateform and yeah the sport are selling for around 20 to 22k and the cup are around i think 24k to 27k

My understanding is that factory engineers took the middle ground to appease general public with Sport version. Not too soft but not too firm. Just good enough for day to day driving.

Trophy has got few more ponies thus firmer suspension.

If you intend to increase power you need to match handling accordingly. Maybe stage 1 does not require changes to suspension but with 25-30% more torque and power that can be achieved with stage 1, I would be incline to “tune” my suspension. It is all about tuning, right?

My choice would be KW Inox line

https://www.kwsuspensions.net/products/coilovers/variant3

Slightly above my budget atm but I'm seriously thinking about it. Bilstein coilovers are cheaper but not much tuning can be done.

Why do people think that simply bolting after market stuff to their incredibly well-developed performance road cars automatically makes them better. In most cases it really won't. 

Does more power warrant stiffer suspension? No No no! Not if it's already set up as well as it can be for it's intended use. If we're talking about performance road driving and occasional track days, I'll argue that you can't do better than the standard cup suspension.

If you start to get serious about track driving, want to take your car off daily duties and have exhausted it's (and your own) capability, revisit the coilover idea then. At least you'll have a clear idea at what you're aiming for. But please not for the road.

Edited by Bingle