Renault Clio Sport 200 Trophee

adam976

I went to a Come & Try at Sandown a couple of months ago just for fun laps.

Got told off by the "instructor" because I double clutch heel-and-toe! He insisted I should just brake and slam the gear stick into the next gear down.

Can you please knee him in the balls a few times Matt? Who knows what other bad habits he's teaching to the new comers!

Find me a name and I would take the utmost pleasure in doing just that. Moron.

The WORST habit I see people have is the practice of downshifting before braking as it's the only way they can 'rev-match', so off the gas, clutch in, rev the throttle slot the gear clutch out, engine to rev limiter, tyres chirping on the verge of compression lock.....Then the mad scramble for the brake pedal, repeat for the next shift, terrifying. Sounds and feels really fast, arms and legs flailing about the cabin, engine and gearbox parts on the verge of catastrophic failure...

Anyone can heel-toe, yep it can be a difficult skill to master for some, but like any skill it requires study, perhaps some outside assistance but mostly practice. If you drive a manual car every day you have the unique opportunity to practice this skill everytime you downshift, is it necessary? Of course not, but it's an opportunity, how many other passions or pastimes do you get to practice during your boring morning commute? Suck it up, learn the skill and use it. I taught my self to do this long before we had things like YouTube or Internet forums to help. I used to record as much in car rally footage as I could and study the greats like Mr Rohrl, and then just go and drive and have a go at implementing the skills.

So on the topic then of EDC, DSG etc I like them, there's a different skill set to learn to get the best out of them, it's the future blah blah, I would miss a traditional manual if they were to disappear. That said the next person I hear say that a clutch pedal is the only sign of a 'true drivers car' and they can't heel-toe, will get a knee, followed by a swift kick to the breeding parts.

/Part rant, part humor interpret as you will.

Edited by Matt205
  • Like 2

That's gold Matt.

About 6 months ago I started to try heel toe downshifts and found it almost impossible. But I kept doing it occasionally just for laughs at my own stupidity. :rolleyes:

Fast forward to now. Not only am I getting a lot better at it, but I'm doing it more and more on braking corner downshifts as a habit. It's a really cool thing to do, so persist with it even if you can't do it at first.

Bad news :/ since a few days ago I heard this 'whine' when accelerating. Thought it was just my paranoia, however today it's gotten louder.

Have confirmed it disappears when clutch its engaged. Hoping a new box is not required as I can't afford that ATM.

Taking it to ap auto engineering Monday.

+1^ ☺

I taught myself 50 years ago and still get it 'not quite right' on occassions. It's just a matter of practicing the 'in clutch/off accelerator co-ordination for a while. Used to do that, parked in the driveway. When I had a 'bit of a handle' on that I started to use it while driving. Aim to do it as smoothly as you can and if concerned about causing mechanical issues ease the clutch out rather than letting it out with a 'thump'. After a while it becomes 'second nature' and adds to the satisfaction you get from driving. You will know you are 'getting it right' when the motor doesn't sound like its going to shoot the valves out thru the bonnet when letting the clutch out at the end of the cycle. ☺

Bad news :/ since a few days ago I heard this 'whine' when accelerating. Thought it was just my paranoia, however today it's gotten louder.

Have confirmed it disappears when clutch its engaged. Hoping a new box is not required as I can't afford that ATM.

Taking it to ap auto engineering Monday.

Noise disappear when clutch is engaged but whine when accelerating? You can't accelerate with the clutch disengaged.

Or you meant the opposite, whine disappear when clutch pedal is pressed in? Could be just gearbox oil level a bit low. I heard the telltale is whine in higher gear.

sorry, I meant whine disappears when clutch pedal is pressed in

Sound like a clutch thrust bearing which is nothing to do with the gearbox but of course there is some labour involved in accessing and replacing it.

Try depressing the clutch pedal with the motor running when in neutral and letting it out very slowly and see if the noise is still there when the pedal is fully out.

If this stops the whine the problem is the thrust bearing as mentioned.

Is this the noise (or similar)?

Also google 'clutch thrust or release bearing problems'

It's more of a whine (similar to a supercharger or when your switch the AC on) hard to hear as my exhaust is so loud

If the noise disappears when the clutch pedal is pressed in then it is due to worn or faulty clutch bearings.

Of course if it's a bearing or the slave unit you would replace the clutch at the same time regardless.

Ditto on this. May be worth examining synchros too.

Cheers,

- Sent via TapaTalk

4k would be getting you a diff and lightened flywheel too from what I've heard from others. See if you can take a video of the sound and post if up for others to have a listen. There are a few weird noises which a 200 makes.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Took it to Paul at AP auto engineering. Top bloke. He drove it for a good 5-10min. 

He couldn't hear anything, said the gearbox bearings were fine and synchros were good.

I can still here that faint whine. But i'm attributed it to a quirk of the gearbox. It's not loud enough to be of concern.

• Like 3

Took it to Paul at AP auto engineering. Top bloke. He drove it for a good 5-10min.

He couldn't hear anything, said the gearbox bearings were fine and synchros were good.

I can still here that faint whine. But i'm attributed it to a quirk of the gearbox. It's not loud enough to be of concern.

Case closed. If Paul said its fine then I would be completely happy. Hes a legend

Update...

Confirmed I'm just paranoid for no reason.

Car is amazing. Recently swapped over the plates to NSW ones (had to return the owners one.. best looking plates)

Will be going for a drive this weekend around some bends. Getting the GoPro out so hopefully have some quality footage to share with you!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Have had my previous clio serviced by Paul, and the Megane by Renotech.

I have no issues paying $500 with Paul. His attention to detail and meticulous workis worth every penny. He even re-torqued the front chassis rail on my old car.

Renotech are brilliant too, and have no qualms about spending $300 or $500 with them per service.

If i still lived in close proximity to paul, i would be go there for sure. Renotech is more convenient for me

• 2 weeks later...

Just came back from renotech and just wow...

- picked me up/dropped me off at the station

- went through every inch of the car and explained everything

- excellent price that was better than expected

I delt with Julian, and You could see the passion. We talked for a solid 30 minutes about cars and he showed me his build.

Recommend for all!!

post-22394-0-68064900-1489478431_thumb.jpg

post-22394-0-57125800-1489478458_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hey everyone!

I've been sent over here from whirlpool forums for some advice on the clio 200 trophee edition (2010-11)

Could have been me... I'd referred a few people to here. Best resource ever. :wink:

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk