Advice On Purchasing Clio Rs 3

Goatman

How does it compare to the skoda though Mike? I know in all the sporting VWs I've driven it's been a right nanny of a thing. Hence my like of the 200s.

Cheers,

- Sent via TapaTalk

Ever since the Audi TT debacle, VW has erred on the conservative side in the handling department it seems...

How does it compare to the skoda though Mike? I know in all the sporting VWs I've driven it's been a right nanny of a thing. Hence my like of the 200s.

Cheers,

- Sent via TapaTalk

It's a bit hard to say really. I don't think I've ever had the Skoda's system intervene... Due to the long wheelbase it's really quite stable. The car is certainly capable of oversteer, but only really on the change of direction (say through a roundabout). If you just lift off through a fast sweeper it won't really do much other than tighten the line a fraction. The TC gets a fair work out though, with 350-400Nm, an open diff, 225 rubber and the centre of gravity further back than most FWD cars. 2nd gear requires judicious input even in perfect conditions...

I think what stands out to me with the 200's system is that it intervenes when you don't expect it to. With my other 3 RS's the system only seems to come alive just at that moment when you realise you've overcooked it a little. With the 200 it often kicks in just at the moment you think you've tightened the line perfectly and are about to get on the throttle. To summarise, I think in both of my Megs I had ESP intervene perhaps once or twice ever in dry conditions (more in the wet of course) over 4 years. In my 172 I don't recall it ever coming on in the dry (and I chuck that thing around a fair bit...), but with the 200 I reckon I could count double figures in a few months. Of those occasions, maybe 1 was justified.

I suspect Renault may have been more conservative with the 200's ESP calibration, as it has a MUCH sharper front end than any of my other RS products (172, R26, 250). A Sport mode like the 250 would be handy, loosen things off a bit when conditions are good.

I'd also add that it may also be due to the 200 requiring a more 'aggressive' approach than the others. In either of the Megs you don't need to generate oversteer mid corner anywhere near as much because you can rely on the diff to really tighten the line. The 172 is super light so really just hops and skips through a corner, with a real knack of self correcting any unwanted angle changes without any conscious effort. By contrast the 200 needs to be worked a bit harder to dive into an apex and be in position to get on the throttle. As a consequence I feel like you need to create more of an angle more of the time, thus more ESP intervention I suppose.

• 1 month later...

Hello all!

Apologies for the lack of update re: my journey into the elusive RS world.  

I have been reading on the Clio a lot and I must admit that there were some issues faced by owners here that had made me think twice i.e. engine failures in particular and gearbox synchro issues.

As I am not in the position to fork out possibly more than 10 thousand dollars for a new engine etc. I have re-considered my purchase and now targeting used RS Meganes from circa 2014 onwards (those with the 5 year warranty for peace of mind).

I have test driven a couple and they are great machines (but I honestly prefer the more "mechanical" - go kart like Clio, it's just a little more special to me having also test driven a Gordini)

Does anyone in Brisbane know a go to person to perform a thorough inspection?  I know they are still within the warranty period but me being paranoid, I feel like I should get someone within thorough knowledge of the car to assure me.

Oh and one last question, 265 Cup or 275 Trophy?  I just couldn't get over the pops and crackles from the 275.....

Cheers

Damon

You can get pops and crackles from a centre resonator delete though I haven't had the pleasure of hearing the akrapovic exhaust.

The extras you get on the 275 are great though: Alcantara recaros, speedline Turini wheels, the titanium exhaust, and probably some other things too.

Just bear in mind re warranty that there are some prefacelift megane models that were purchased after the 5yr warranty kicked in but will cost less (and have options like adaptive bixenons). This was the case with mine, 2013 trophy+ and warranty expires in July 2019!

Can't help you out with a Brisbane mechanic.

That said 275 is the pick in my view subject to budget. Some absolute bargains on 265s at present. Hard to look past that value equation...

Edited by No152

Does anyone in Brisbane know a go to person to perform a thorough inspection? I know they are still within the warranty period but me being paranoid, I feel like I should get someone within thorough knowledge of the car to assure me.

Cheers

Damon

Automotion at Enoggera have a good reputation in Brisbane on Euro cars. Pretty much only do Euro cars and some very tasty ones in the workshop any given day. No first hand experience on their work but have heard this and seen the workshop Other members in Bris swear by them. Would be a starting point I suggest to have your prospective car checked out

I thought it would be a good idea to keep on topic for future users looking at Clio 3's. If you want to talk Meganes, it's up to you.

That won't help folks looking at Clio 3's though. :news:

Edited by apple3337

I'd agree, don't read too much into alleged mechanical issues with the Clio III, many owners here with no issues and some with high mileage. The Meg is not without the same number of "issues". If you're deciding between a Meg III and Clio III, have a look at my thread under Clio III. I chose to stay with my Clio III for various reasons. Those new to Renaultsport will likely gravitate towards the Meg III after initial drives. Those familiar with the brand and experience often search out a clean Clio II or Clio III for the thrill they offer. Horses for courses, as an all rounder I'd say the Meg III is better, for sheer enjoyment and thrills the NA Clio's rule.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'd agree, don't read too much into alleged mechanical issues with the Clio III, many owners here with no issues and some with high mileage. The Meg is not without the same number of "issues". If you're deciding between a Meg III and Clio III, have a look at my thread under Clio III. I chose to stay with my Clio III for various reasons. Those new to Renaultsport will likely gravitate towards the Meg III after initial drives. Those familiar with the brand and experience often search out a clean Clio II or Clio III for the thrill they offer. Horses for courses, as an all rounder I'd say the Meg III is better, for sheer enjoyment and thrills the NA Clio's rule.

X2, the only RS engine failure I know of in Brisbane was a 250... Meg 3's also have the gearbox mount issue. When it fails (and several have) it drops the box and destroys a lot of things... If you search the net you'll find horror stories for every car ever made haha!

So I would say don't base your choice too much on that stuff. Without doubt the Megane is a better all-rounder (quicker, more comfortable, more space, more frugal etc), but the Clio has a bit more soul with the NA engine and isn't far behind the Meg for the other points mentioned.

If you can stretch to a 275 Trophy R than that is a different comparison all together... I'd take a 275R over a Clio 3 I think :news:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all!

So after all the sleepless nights thinking of Clio vs Megane over and over, I have decided to go down the path of a Megane RS275 Trophy 

Reasons being:

1) The 275 still has 3 years plus factory warranty (gives me a "peace of mind" for my current circumstance) 

2) The 275 is bigger, more practical (I have a 4 year old and a wife that requires a little more space and comfort)

3) The 275 is quick from the get-go - I love an NA but since this will be my daily drive, I wouldnt mind having one that gives me these "simple pleasures" without needing to put on my rallying skills - sure the Clio is more raw and mechanical but on a day to day basis, the Megane would do it for me now

Apologies for disappointing the Clio supporters here but also thank you for the numerous advice etc. - really appreciate them!

I will be flying down to Sydney this Friday to collect the car and will be driving back to Brisbane (haven't decided on which route yet - some say NEH is longer but a bit more fun?)

Will post photos once the car is in the garage!

:)

Cheers

Damon

EDIT:  The Clio is still in the books - if my employment circumstance were to change for the better soonish, Clio would be the weekend toy :)

Edited by Goatman
  • Like 2

Congrats - great choice.  Safe travels, look forward to having another 275 on the Brissy roads!!

More and more Brisbane cars to participate in our drive days and coffee meetups. :)

Awesome!! Might need two hands to count the participants in that case... ????