New Renault Megane Rs 275 Trophy Owner

ewengers

Hi guys

Just a quick greeting here. I bit the bullet and bought myself a Renault Megane RS 275 Trophy last year. It was delivered last Christmas eve (very last minutes) and I went on a trip with the car and my wife right after I got my car key from the dealer.

My sweet Jesus, it was such a BLAST as soon as I started driving through some winding road. I am not gonna repeat what all Megane RS owners have experienced (agile, sharp steering etc.) with their cars here. If you have one, you know how good it is already. If you haven't and you are interested in driving, please do yourself a favor, try to experience it. It WILL make your day.

Before I made my mind and purchased this car, I have several options in mind. VW Golf R, Ford Focus ST, Ford Focus RS (has to wait for at least 6 months from that time), Toyota 86 and even the legendary Nissan Skyline R34 GT-R. They are all great cars due to their own individual merits. To some, they might even be much greater cars than Megane RS with the same amount money. I have A TON of pros and cons in my head at the time among all these cars.

I also have many doubts in this French hot hatch. First and foremost, it's a French car which never has good reputation in terms of reliability (at least it has never been a selling point). And let's face it, reliability is arguably the most important thing in a car. Then it's the age of the car. The very same car (except some minor exterior/interior updates) has been on sale for about 6 years now and the next revamped Megane RS is just around the corner. I know new car is never guaranteed to be a better car, but when it is, it usually makes you a little jealous every time when a new one drive pass by. 

To be honest, I had all those nagging thoughts in my head even while I was signing the contract.

However, when I got to drive the car on a winding road, all those became completely irrelevant. From the instance you started enjoying the car, the question of why I bought this car became why NOT? It made you like a race driver who smiles like a moron every time you enter in and out of a corner. It was one of the best time of my life. 

Anyway guys, just say hi again and can't wait to make some friends here and perhaps go on a cruise with those interested soon. I also have an instagram account (#ewengers) with some photos of the car to share. Hope you guys enjoy it. 

Chat soon, people.

Cheers

Eian

• Like 4

Welcome to the forum Elan, and nice choice of vehicle.  Your description of the thought process is interesting, and likely reflects what most first time RS buyers contemplate before handing over their hard earned....

Fast forward a while and it is highly likely you will own more than one RS car, maybe even at the same time.  They are, dollar for dollar, unequaled in driving satisfaction bar nothing.  There is a very good reason why many on this forum are repeat (and serial) owners of RS cars.  They are that good for the driving enthusiast.

As for reliability, they require the usual care and attention as other makes, but don't seem to be anything other than bullet proof in the main part.  There are stories of little niggles in the cars, but same with any brand of car I expect.  Certainly in my experience, few vehicles are hassle free.

I look forward to reading about your experiences going forward as you spend more time with your new beast.

Congrats and enjoy!!

• Like 2

Mate I'm in the old clio 200, and every time I see the new one I feel a bit sorry for the person in the drivers seat ! Turbo but the same power, 4 doors and a flappy paddle gearbox... Hope it'll be the same story for you when the meg 4 comes out!

Edited by Brams

Mate I'm in the old clio 200, and every time I see the new one I feel a bit sorry for the person in the drivers seat ! Turbo but the same power, 4 doors and a flappy paddle gearbox... Hope it'll be the same story for you when the meg 4 comes out!

If the Meg 4 delivers on what is expected with 4 doors and EDC gearbox, I suspect lots of Meg 3 drivers will feel the same way.  Horses for courses, but the hardcore enthusiasts of RS cars will want for the manual, and we do love the three doors regardless of the lesser practicality that goes with it.

I don't think I will be stampeding the dealer's door to trade the R on a new Meg 4 RS...

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see the mix if RS ever do offer a choice of manual and DCT in the same model - are they scared to find out?

If they ever did that autos will likely outnumber manual sales about ten to one. That would explain the 1000 percent increase in sales of Clio 4 versus Clio 3. Golfs about the same I believe...

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum Elan, and nice choice of vehicle. Your description of the thought process is interesting, and likely reflects what most first time RS buyers contemplate before handing over their hard earned....

Fast forward a while and it is highly likely you will own more than one RS car, maybe even at the same time. They are, dollar for dollar, unequaled in driving satisfaction bar nothing. There is a very good reason why many on this forum are repeat (and serial) owners of RS cars. They are that good for the driving enthusiast.

As for reliability, they require the usual care and attention as other makes, but don't seem to be anything other than bullet proof in the main part. There are stories of little niggles in the cars, but same with any brand of car I expect. Certainly in my experience, few vehicles are hassle free.

I look forward to reading about your experiences going forward as you spend more time with your new beast.

Congrats and enjoy!!

Thanks for the warm welcome, No152. Over the past few months, I have accumulated a few questions that I might ask around in the forum for opinion and information. Looks forward to all your input soon. Cheers

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Pretty much exactly how I felt and same situation. Welcome to the club also what colour?

Just out of curiosity, what were the cars you were considering aside from the ones I mentioned?

Long story short, I ended up getting a white one. It might not be the most eye catching or exciting color, but in my opinion, white makes the car look refreshing much longer. Now come to think of it, I have owned 8 cars in the past, 4 of them are white~lolz

Mate I'm in the old clio 200, and every time I see the new one I feel a bit sorry for the person in the drivers seat ! Turbo but the same power, 4 doors and a flappy paddle gearbox... Hope it'll be the same story for you when the meg 4 comes out

Yep, I know exactly that. In fact, one of the reason I went ahead and get the car because I saw how they did to the new Clio. I am sure as hell that the interior of the meg 4 will make my car looks like a grandpa's radio next to an iPod touch. Exterior? Um...meh, I can only speculate that it will look more modern (Duh?) but nothing more. However, all those are not what I care, not even the slightest. 

The key is how the car drives and to state the obvious, it is top notch, one of the best of its kind, period. I want that. So I bet on the chance that Renault might once again aim for the broader audiences and go softer and please more softcore customers. From a company's CFO's perspective, it's really nothing wrong. Similar to what No152 said, if what they do can make 1 extra dime than not to (sad for us hardcore drivers, I know). 

Say I lose the bet and they make an even better car for meg 4, who cares, I now own one of the best hot hatch in the motoring history, I win either way! :)

Edited by ewengers

Here are some photos of the car, hope you like it guys. I know it's dead stock, but it looks fantastic as it is right now. Sorry about the photo quality, as they are mainly for just some quick instagram uploads.

post-21759-145822046213_thumb.jpeg

post-21759-145822059361_thumb.jpegpost-21759-145822061209_thumb.jpegpost-21759-145822072231_thumb.jpgpost-21759-145822073717_thumb.jpgpost-21759-145822074935_thumb.jpgpost-21759-145822080497_thumb.jpgpost-21759-145822082095_thumb.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Awesome photos. If i was running Renault Australia i'd be asking you if i could use some of those photos on their website and promotional material.

I agree they look awesome to me too! And I think you picked the right colour. No bias there at all.... :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Ewengers, 

Firstly great purchase, I was out on the old Pacific Hwy (NSW) today with a buddy with an M3 and his brother on a GSX R600 (bike) and the Megane RB8 stood up brilliantly, if not the best handeling. (Don't tell them)

Your thought's remind me of the discussion around purchasing an MY2000 WRX. It's the same thought with the Megane, for 6 years it's been a great car if not a catagroy leader, now they might soften the next model to broaden the appeal. However there is something about the traditional WRX that made it a great raw drivers car. I know when I purchased the RB8 I had very similar options, however I'm over the moon with my purchse. 

Enjoy the car & drive quickly and safely!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey Ewengers, 

Firstly great purchase, I was out on the old Pacific Hwy (NSW) today with a buddy with an M3 and his brother on a GSX R600 (bike) and the Megane RB8 stood up brilliantly, if not the best handeling. (Don't tell them)

Your thought's remind me of the discussion around purchasing an MY2000 WRX. It's the same thought with the Megane, for 6 years it's been a great car if not a catagroy leader, now they might soften the next model to broaden the appeal. However there is something about the traditional WRX that made it a great raw drivers car. I know when I purchased the RB8 I had very similar options, however I'm over the moon with my purchse. 

Enjoy the car & drive quickly and safely!

Sorry for the late response buddy, yes I have absolutely no regret. Everyone's definition of a great hatchback can be different. However, to me, I am lucky enough that I can only use it as a weekender. So a good hothatch to me is to be a epic drive, reasonably priced and come with a great sound track. Everything else is either irrelevant or bonus.

• Like 1

If they ever did that autos will likely outnumber manual sales about ten to one. That would explain the 1000 percent increase in sales of Clio 4 versus Clio 3. Golfs about the same I believe...

I feel it's pretty disgusting the way Australian car buyers are attracted to autos, the ability to drive a manual car is gradually slipping away.

In Europe manuals occupy probably around 90% of the car population, but here it is the reverse, trying to sell a manual car on the second hand market is incredibly hard.

I am in my late sixties and have several cars in my fleet but not one auto and there is no likelihood that one will ever grace my garage.

• Like 2