New To The French Autolove

Davidmint

Hello to all.

I am a relative newbie to the French car scene. I recently drove a friends 2010 Clio Sport 200 and I love it.

I have since developed a hankering to get me some of that and the opportunity has arisen because my business has been tossing up the idea of a promo car that we will be vinyl wrapping for visual effect and branding.

Ideally I would prefer a 4 door as I have 2 kids @ 3 & 6 and the 4 doors would make life easier to bear but I am not sold on the fact the current RS200 only comes in an auto (and I haven't heard good things about it) and I loved the pure driving experience of the Phase 111 clio.

Question is maintenance costs and known issues for these cars, I have found a few good examples on the usual websites but I am after "insider knowledge" and your opinions.

Thank in advance !!

Dave

DO IT  :!:   :biggrin:

Very few issues with the Clio 3. Apart from the usual odd rattle here and there.

Maintenance wise, the major thing is the timing belt which has to be done every 100,000 klm or four years.  About $700 from an independent mechanic.

If you are buying through a business and can claim the GST, your best bet is this one: http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Renault-Clio-2013/OAG-AD-12341350/?Cr=5

Give me a yell if you want it checked out. Not all have the Recaro's and this one does which is good.

• Like 1

DO IT  :!:   :biggrin:

Very few issues with the Clio 3. Apart from the usual odd rattle here and there.

Maintenance wise, the major thing is the timing belt which has to be done every 100,000 klm or four years.  About $700 from an independent mechanic.

If you are buying through a business and can claim the GST, your best bet is this one: http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Renault-Clio-2013/OAG-AD-12341350/?Cr=5

Give me a yell if you want it checked out. Not all have the Recaro's and this one does which is good.

This one is definitely on my saved list. I was aware of the timing belt issue and it seems this is the biggest mechanical issue. How are they for longevity, I would be looking to keep a toy like this for a while before they anesthetize driving pleasure from small cars forever.

This may be tantamount to heresy on this forum but what is the general opinion of the Pug 208 GTI ?? 

This one is definitely on my saved list. I was aware of the timing belt issue and it seems this is the biggest mechanical issue. How are they for longevity, I would be looking to keep a toy like this for a while before they anesthetize driving pleasure from small cars forever.

This may be tantamount to heresy on this forum but what is the general opinion of the Pug 208 GTI ?? 

There are Clio 2's clicking over 200,000 klm. I drove one with 200,000 on the clock and was amazed at how well it drove.

I've never driven a Pug.  I'm tipping it's not as hard core. Clio 3 is probably the last of the NA hot hatches. If that's what you are after, well....

• Like 2

New 208 GTI owner indeed chiming in: apple3337 is correct. Nowhere near as hard core as any Clio I've owned or driven.

You have two choices if you're in the market right now for a hot hatch that is hard core and an animal: a Clio 3 200 Cup, or a Fiesta ST. A 200 Cup will save you about $10k over the Fiesta and be cooler anyway. Handling is unmatched, the Fiesta is like an overexcited puppy while the 200 is just an absolute, refined terror on the bends.

I get a lot of comfort in my new 208 GTI and for what I paid for it, I got a hell of a lot of car. It has a level of refinement and comfort that no other hot hatch in this segment comes close - the Clios have nothing on this car. Stock it is also definitely faster than a Clio, although you won't notice until you're doing double the speed limit. It is much less engaging to drive, but it'll still have next to no trouble keeping up in the bends (can't beat the Clio 3's Perfohub!!) and it'll leave a 200 for dead on the straights while you've got the dual zone climate control on blast enjoying a much better built higher quality interior (I did just say that about a Peugeot, yes). And that's what made the 208 my choice - it was a stupid fast hot hatch with lots of nice stuff about it that I'd enjoy two hours a day on my commute.

So yeah. My personal opinion that as a daily commuter with the occasional squirt, I'd pick the 208 over a 200 Cup any day (and exactly why I did). As a weekend toy, a 200 Cup over the 208 any day. Both are excellent cars.

But in exchange for daily usability you do lose out on the hard core race car factor of the Clio and in the long run that's what I'll miss the most, but I think I've chosen the right car to get me through the next few years while I go do adult things like buy a house and get married and stuff.

So really it just depends on what you're looking for in a car. You sound like you loved the 200 for the driving experience, so my vote would be to go get yourself one of these 200 Cup things! (I know someone who might be willing to part ways with the keycard to his liquid yellow 200 Cup AGP edition...)

Edited by cloudy
  • Like 3

I think the Clio III would be a tough daily drive proposition with kids, but it's an awesome car and if you love it, you make it work.

Maintenance is not particularly expensive compared to similar cars. Just don't expect to get good tyres or replacement brembo brakes for a price that compares to your average basic hatch.

.. I get a lot of comfort in my new 208 GTI and for what I paid for it, I got a hell of a lot of car. It has a level of refinement and comfort that no other hot hatch in this segment comes close - the Clios have nothing on this car. ..

Except those Peugeot's look uncannily like a Clio-III.

It's almost like Peugeot rubbed their hands when Renault stopped making the Clio-III's and said "We have an idea.."

Just admit it, you are driving a Clio-III copy. :wink:

Something like ? this

dsc_5825.jpg?itok=I5hlT56W

• Like 1

Buy the Clio 3, write it off in the business for 3 years, the kids will be getting tired of climbing in the back, you sell it to yourself for a nice discount and keep it as a weekend car. When the kids turn 16 they will be itching to learn to drive in it.

Done.

• Like 1

Buy the Clio 3, write it off in the business for 3 years, the kids will be getting tired of climbing in the back, you sell it to yourself for a nice discount and keep it as a weekend car. When the kids turn 16 they will be itching to learn to drive in it.

Done.

Less than $20k so buy from a dealer or business, write it off immediately, and enjoy for years....

Photos when it is wrapped. Will be cool!

Good point. That 20K immediate write off is still going isn't it?

If you get it for under 20k, (which you should) the tax benefits are huge. Claim back the GST, write off a 20K tax deduction.

That makes for a very cheap car!

Edited by apple3337

Good point. That 20K immediate write off is still going isn't it?

If you get it for under 20k, (which you should) the tax benefits are huge. Claim back the GST, write off a 20K tax deduction.

That makes for a very cheap car!

It is, you can and it does... :)

• Like 1

New 208 GTI owner indeed chiming in: apple3337 is correct. Nowhere near as hard core as any Clio I've owned or driven.

You have two choices if you're in the market right now for a hot hatch that is hard core and an animal: a Clio 3 200 Cup, or a Fiesta ST. A 200 Cup will save you about $10k over the Fiesta and be cooler anyway. Handling is unmatched, the Fiesta is like an overexcited puppy while the 200 is just an absolute, refined terror on the bends.

I get a lot of comfort in my new 208 GTI and for what I paid for it, I got a hell of a lot of car. It has a level of refinement and comfort that no other hot hatch in this segment comes close - the Clios have nothing on this car. Stock it is also definitely faster than a Clio, although you won't notice until you're doing double the speed limit. It is much less engaging to drive, but it'll still have next to no trouble keeping up in the bends (can't beat the Clio 3's Perfohub!!) and it'll leave a 200 for dead on the straights while you've got the dual zone climate control on blast enjoying a much better built higher quality interior (I did just say that about a Peugeot, yes). And that's what made the 208 my choice - it was a stupid fast hot hatch with lots of nice stuff about it that I'd enjoy two hours a day on my commute.

So yeah. My personal opinion that as a daily commuter with the occasional squirt, I'd pick the 208 over a 200 Cup any day (and exactly why I did). As a weekend toy, a 200 Cup over the 208 any day. Both are excellent cars.

But in exchange for daily usability you do lose out on the hard core race car factor of the Clio and in the long run that's what I'll miss the most, but I think I've chosen the right car to get me through the next few years while I go do adult things like buy a house and get married and stuff.

So really it just depends on what you're looking for in a car. You sound like you loved the 200 for the driving experience, so my vote would be to go get yourself one of these 200 Cup things! (I know someone who might be willing to part ways with the keycard to his liquid yellow 200 Cup AGP edition...)

Thanks Cloudy

I may just have to go and test drive a 208 GTI the points you make are good as this will be a little more of a daily driver than I would like it to be.

I'll keep everyone in the loop as to my decision.

As for the $20000 tax deduction, that is what prompted this in the first place !!

Dave

I think the Clio III would be a tough daily drive proposition with kids, but it's an awesome car and if you love it, you make it work.

Maintenance is not particularly expensive compared to similar cars. Just don't expect to get good tyres or replacement brembo brakes for a price that compares to your average basic hatch.

Like Deb said, if you love it you'll make it work. Had mine for 3 years and even today when I was waiting for someone I was staring at it thinking how much I love the car.

My Clio III is a daily and I do the school runs + all the other kid stuff.

Being modified it does become tiresome at times but the proposition of an alternative doesn't engage the primal spirit of driving.

There is a Clio IV in my area that has full business livery on it. I'll snap a pic of it soon.

If I had to have something that could be fun, had 4 doors and a degree of compliance I think it's a good option...you should try the Auto before ruling it out.

Hello to all.

Ideally I would prefer a 4 door as I have 2 kids @ 3 & 6 and the 4 doors would make life easier to bear but I am not sold on the fact the current RS200 only comes in an auto (and I haven't heard good things about it) and I loved the pure driving experience of the Phase 111 clio.

Dave

Hello to all.

Dave

Don't believe everything you hear about the latest Clio IV RS200 gearbox....there is nothing wrong with it.  These rumours have been spread around by jealous earlier model II & III RS Clio owners.... :wink:

Suggest you take one for a drive & put it in 'Sport' or 'Race' manual mode before you decide on anything in particular.

These Renaults depreciate like crazy for the first few years and you can get a good late 2013 or early 2014 RS200 for reasonable money at the moment if 4 doors & an auto is your thing.