Greetings - 172 Sport Just Acquired

IanCP

Hello all,

Having got sick of blowing up Saab engines and scoured the internet for something different, I've picked up a 172 sport in the hope that it will prove an enjoyable track car.  First signs are positive, driving home along some back roads reminded me what having fun in a car was all about. It's a fair few years since the R5 turbo I had in the UK, but that was an absolute joy, so here's hoping !!!

​The previous owner was a decent bloke who recommended that I join this forum. So I have... :D

​Apparently the cambelt was done 14k and 2 years ago, so my first decision is whether I should just replace that again to be on the safe side.  I'm getting a fair bit of noise from the rear wheels which I understand may be bearings ? 

Also I am hoping to become a positive contributor to the community, with my first thing being to look around for advice / opinions on choice of rubber, best oil and anything else you can all think of, particularly if it relates to performance improvements.

​There is also a small leak which the previous owner thinks is possibly a seal on the transmission - unless anyone has a better idea !

​Thanks. Ian

• Like 1

Welcome mate! Any pics of the new beast?

As stated above they often leak around the gearbox. Mine is leaking around the rear main seal but only if it stays still for a while. Since I've been driving it daily, it's all but disappeared.

Noise at the rear sounds like bearings. It's often a lot easier and only a touch more $ to replace the whole rear disc assembly as new ones include bearings.

14k and 2 years on the belts sounds like it's got a fair bit of life still left in it, so really just depends who changed it and if they're reputable.

Plenty of threads on tyres and oil - have a look through the Clio II sections.

• Like 1

Welcome Ian . Enjoy the new ride , RS are awesome

There's two things to remember here

1) RS are perfect . Fact

2) we don't talk about Toy*tas unless you want a ban

????????????????

• Like 2

2) we don't talk about Toy*tas unless you want a ban

The only exception is when the badges are replaced with 'Lotus'. :news:

• Like 3

If you are confident about the belts being done at those times, don't stress it won't go bang. Stick to 4 years/100,000km.

Rear wheel bearings are common to wear out and can either be bought from Renault for $140 roughly. They need to be pressed into the existing disc, after the old ones have been pressed out. As walkie said, rear discs with bearings and abs rings may be bought from Renault for around $405 a pair. There is however a place in box hill, Vic, that can supply quality oem replacements for $119 each with a quality bearing and an abs ring. They are called European auto imports.

Tyres - re003 and PS3 are standard choice for everyday road tyres, then 595 rsr, ad08r and ventus rs3 can all be found at a bargain and are great for fast road/track. Any decent 5w40 fully synthetic is good, there are a couple of places to get ELF locally at a good price if you want to run factory specs.

Finally welcome, and as above, we avoid toy*ta speak.

• Like 1

Thanks for the great input already fellas. This looks a great community.  I will be contacting the guys in Box Hill for sure. I was running the Saab on Penrite 5w40 fully synthetic, so I guess I will stick with that.  The service book has a stamp from Spencer Street Autos with a note to say that the Cambelt was replaced about , so I think I will  check with them.  before I do anything else.

​Originally for budgetary reasons, I used some very cheap Mayrun MR800 tyres, but I actually found them excellent. The main issue was blokes looking at them on the car and tutting !!! I am tempted to give them another go on the Clio, barring any horror stories arising. Cheers.

Edited by IanCP

Always keep an eye on gumtree for cheap tyres! You can get awesome tyres for 100 a corner...

Never thought of Gumtree. Thanks for the heads up, I got Goodyear F1 Directional for just over $ 100 each. A steal. :)

If you are confident about the belts being done at those times, don't stress it won't go bang. Stick to 4 years/100,000km.

Rear wheel bearings are common to wear out and can either be bought from Renault for $140 roughly. They need to be pressed into the existing disc, after the old ones have been pressed out. As walkie said, rear discs with bearings and abs rings may be bought from Renault for around $405 a pair. There is however a place in box hill, Vic, that can supply quality oem replacements for $119 each with a quality bearing and an abs ring. They are called European auto imports.

Tyres - re003 and PS3 are standard choice for everyday road tyres, then 595 rsr, ad08r and ventus rs3 can all be found at a bargain and are great for fast road/track. Any decent 5w40 fully synthetic is good, there are a couple of places to get ELF locally at a good price if you want to run factory specs.

Finally welcome, and as above, we avoid toy*ta speak.

Great advice, ordered replacements from EAI for $ 119 each plus $ 17 shipping. Nice.

• 2 months later...

Can I just say that, without doubt, this is the most pleasant, helpful and informative forum I've ever had the pleasure to be part of. Great to see advice from people with obviously far more knowledge and ability (without sitting in judgement) and no elitism either.

​A refreshing change. In 2 monthsI have already gained a load of useful information and I look forward to becoming an integral part of things over time, for whatever my input will  be worth :wink:

All power to you blokes.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...