Awaiting On A Clio Iii Rs

Karjadi15

Hello all! 

Name is Daniel. Haven't been in the forum world in a long time now but waiting on a new (new to me) car means new friends (hopefully) 

For the past 3 years I have been driving the Mini Coupe S below. It has been the best ride in my life, the ergonomics and the driving has been absolutely perfect for me. I have always wanted a Mini Cooper and one day I just went for it and never looked back. Until recently where the equipment for my work has started to fill up boot and move to the front seats. So a new car and a new adventure was much needed. 

1379964_10151639160916841_586212850_n.jp

So I started looking at the Clio 197 RS as I was always a massive fan of the MK3 Shape of the Clios. I have a friend who has one and there was often a feeling of jealousy every time I see it. Every video I watch is very consistent of the reviews people give to the Clio RS and it was perhaps the only car I could think of that met my criteria as well as having space and I won't lose the awesome drive I had with the Mini. As I looked at the 197, I kept dragging my budget higher to the RS200 like the Angels and Demon Edition. Saw one at a dealer that was super clean but they would not budge their price closer to my budget so walked away. It was pretty disappointing but all of a sudden a Red Bull Edition with low mileage and great condition exterior and interior just popped up on Car Sales and called them up instantly. Went up to see it, they just quickly detailed the car and went for a drive. Everything was good, got them to get the price down heaps and got everything for a price I wanted to pay with free on roads and extended warranty for 2 more years on top of the 1 year it has left. So now pretty excited for a new chapter, awaiting pick up. Will definitely miss the Mini I have to say but getting the Clio is an awesome feeling. Can't wait to meet some of you guys! 

• Like 3

Hey! I used to see you around on the forums a lot, wondered where you and a few others had gone off to.

Enjoy the Clio :)

oh  HEY! Haven't been on EST for a very long time. Didn't think it was still rather active. You and Walkie started my eyes to wander into the frenchie world and seeing a friend of mine have a Clio RS keeps pushing me off the edge haha 

Welcome to the forum and the wonderful drive of a CLIO III 200.

Your story reflects mine almost exactly the same. I moved from an R53 Cooper S to my Clio III Trophy about 4 years ago after loving the MINI to bits and racking up about 100,000k  on it.  I can tell you that the CLIO lives up to the MINI in every way with the bonus of added space. (To be honest, the MINI has the win in very tight twisties but the CLIO excells on other roads) You will be disappointed with the sound system in the RS but you can fix that if it hasn't been sorted by the previous owner.

Welcome to the forum and the wonderful drive of a CLIO III 200.

Your story reflects mine almost exactly the same. I moved from an R53 Cooper S to my Clio III Trophy about 4 years ago after loving the MINI to bits and racking up about 100,000k  on it.  I can tell you that the CLIO lives up to the MINI in every way with the bonus of added space. (To be honest, the MINI has the win in very tight twisties but the CLIO excells on other roads) You will be disappointed with the sound system in the RS but you can fix that if it hasn't been sorted by the previous owner.

I find that the Mini especially with the chassis of the Coupe in specific gives almost absolutely no body roll which gives an illusion of amazing handling. It is amazing handling don't get me wrong but the Clio (having a lot more body roll) just griiiiiippppsssssss. Also its more comfy than my mini haha but it does rattle a bit more in the interior haha. Im not a person of sound system but if it is that bad then perhaps I would change it but have never really touched sound systems in the car. On the other hand I may have been spoiled by the  10 speaker Harman Kardon System I had in the Mini haha 

• Like 1

I should have mentioned before that the handling of the MINI really showed it's capabilities once I ditched the stupid run-flat tyres that they come with. From the day I removed them, it was a totally new driving experience.

I should have mentioned before that the handling of the MINI really showed it's capabilities once I ditched the stupid run-flat tyres that they come with. From the day I removed them, it was a totally new driving experience.

I'd like to try one without the runflats. I had the mk2 (turbo) Cooper S from Hertz a couple of years ago - loved it (even as an auto) but the crashy ride and steering kickback on bumps was horrendous.
  • Like 1

So picked it up today. Had a bit of fun but have not had the chance to throw it around a bit more. A little upset that theres things on the car I did not see when I Inspected it, front bar has a bit of deep scratches and one of the interior plastic trims are flapping off and dangling. damn. Little things to fix before I feel its perfect. 

The drive..... Its a nice chassis, you can throw it to any corner and feel safe. I will definitely miss the power of my specific Mini, definitely would miss the torque of a turbo. Even though the Clio RS seems to turn nicer and grips a heck lot more, the steering seems to be nicer in the Cooper s. Feels like its more direct and I get a lot more feedback on it too. 

All the cons gets outweighed when I rev the car to 7k RPM and smiles all around. Overall, happy with it and can see myself having it for the next 2-3 years until the next adventure comes! :) 

• Like 2

Congrats Daniel. Nice choice. The red bull Clios are striking. Enjoy the car and maybe some pics of the new car when you get the chance.

Here are quick snaps of the car :P

21638929936_823a450d57_k.jpgRenault Clio RS RB7 by Ofim Blog, on Flickr

21477616599_1fa3ccb202_k.jpgRenault Clio RS RB7 by Ofim Blog, on Flickr

21043413013_219c8dc92d_k.jpgRenault Clio RS RB7 by Ofim Blog, on Flickr

21476993070_4ca2ed97c8_k.jpgRenault Clio RS RB7 by Ofim Blog, on Flickr

21476532058_51047ff8f3_k.jpgRenault Clio RS RB7 by Ofim Blog, on Flickr

21041676434_380193faec_k.jpgRenault Clio RS RB7 by Ofim Blog, on Flickr

Now there are some questions for me haha to those that own or know about owning a clio here. 

1. One of the plastic trims interior is like flapping off, how do I get a new one?

2. Where the heck do you get wheels for these patterns?! 

3. Are there any good sites for mods and parts for this generation clio? 

4. How do I get the projector headlamps that the Euro Spec seemed to get? 

Edited by Karjadi15
  • Like 1

Car is downstairs and I have this ceeb mood at the moment haha. You know the plastic trims that run along the dashboard? Mine is grey, the A&D is carbon fibre etc etc, the smallest one to the left of the steering wheel is just flapping off. So theres no like website that sells genuine renal accessories? damn...im going from a manufacturer that has little support in australia for parts to almost no support bahahahah

Have a read of the Clio III technical section for answers to most of your questions, there's definitely a thread on projector headlights and plenty of other mods to check out. Demon tweeks and ktec racing are the most common sources for mods.

As for wheels, you can't improve on perfect.

• 1 month later...

Hey Daniel! Nice work mate. The red bull is a beauty. I got a deep black 197 - I'm located in Five Dock if you ever wanna meet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A black 197 owner waved at me the other day on Vic Road. I wonder if that was you? 

Add me on Facebook :P "Daniel Karjadi" 

No way! That was me! Mate beautiful car!!

Will add you on Facebook

HAHAHA so funny. Would have rolled windows down but the rain has been crazy!