Heey. Looking For Rs265 Cup Advice. Just About To Buy

emuPirate

Hi Guys, 

I'd been looking at all sorts of things, though test drove the rs 265 cup and loved it.  

SO I'm looking to pick one up.   I did notice though you can pick up fairly similar 2012 models for around 28k with low  k's    Better than 40-42K at the dealership for 2014.   Anything not obvious to me about the years ? 

I do wanna have some better music integration though than the 2012 models.    Anyone got any ideas or photo's of aftermarket installations of fascia and pop out touchscreens or anything like that?  Can you fit the new systems in the older models ?   It's a minor detail.  Though I wouldn't mind touchscreen technology for Nav, mp3 bluetooth etc, though just don't wanna pay for the 2014 model.  

Appreciate any other advice re buying.   At this stage I'm leaning towards 2012-2013 models because of the value.   Though I still may go new for the better dash display.  Again minor detail, though I wanna get it all right. 

Such amazing cars though.  Obviously bringing everyone here together.  Will be my first sports car so pretty excited

Thanks 

Hey mate, was in a similar predicament to you recently - I ended up going with the brand new RS265. Not saying it's the right thing to do and I can't comment on buying advice of the used ones but at the end of the day for me it came down to - if I was putting down $28k+ for a car I'd be driving for the next 3-5yrs and can afford to stretch it to $40k, at least I get piece of mind of 5 yr warranty, updated electronics and no previous owners. By the time I'm looking the sell, the used car would be almost 10yrs old. I test drove a 2013 Rs265 which mechanically drove just like a brand new model but the electronics were already starting to be glitchy. Don't forget electronics age too - think about how slow an iPhone runs 2years after you buy it compared to brand new.

On the other hand you save $12k by buying used and could put that aside for any potential repairs. Either way is probably not a bad option - I decided i would rather pay the premium for added convenience and peace of mind.

+ 2 for me.  If you can afford to go new (if it has all the features you want), get new as the little things are inevitably improved.  The only real decision in the comparison you are talking is warranty and "new car smell" versus the inevitable depreciation of the new vehicle, especially right off the bat.  Careful selection of the used vehicle is likely to deliver a fantastic car, for the prices you are talking.

For me, I always buy new now, and factor the depreciation into that decision before I spend.  I have friends who take the other approach, and always look for a very good, low km well looked after late model (which is usually what mine are when I sell them...  :) ), as the financial parameter is more significant for them than the other less tangible elements.

Horses for courses, but the one fixed element here is you won't go wrong with an RS Megane, because as a first sports car it is a ripper.  Trouble is you will be ruined for life as all future handling, smile factor and enjoyment comparisons will be compared against it as a baseline, and probably will never be as good as the RS experience.  Seriously, you will have to part with a considerable fortune to emulate, let alone better, the experience these things deliver!

Be warned, and enjoy!!!  :mrgreen: And of course pics on this forum after purchase are mandatory...

• Like 2

I bought a 2012 build RS265 in October 2013 as an ex-demo. Have had nothing but fun ever since. Now have 45K km on the clock without major issue and still running as I bought it (Probably better) Mine is a basic cup and IMHO the exras you get from factory options are too costly. Have managed to fit most of the things I want as aftermarket items. About the only thing I would like are Xeon projector lights which are quite expensive to fit and have issue trying to do after the event. Unless what you buy has been tracked every weekend I wouldn't have issue purcasing 2nd hand if it has low km's. Apart from the occasional problem that happens with every manufacturer the cars are very robust. The phrase 'you can't kill em with a stick' comes to mind.

On the other hand, as often happens with most things 'you can be unlucky'. Reading this makes me think this is no help at all. :)

I bought my 2012 LY 8.08 second hand from a dealer. I won't say what I paid cos it was such a great deal I'm hoping to get my money back when I sell it! Liquid yellow is the colour to have for sure. I'm not fussed with secondhand as long as it's got a service history. Mine is running now as well as when I bought it, and with new Pilot Super Sports just fitted is a cornering rocket ship.

• Like 1

I bought my 2012 LY 8.08 second hand from a dealer. I won't say what I paid cos it was such a great deal I'm hoping to get my money back when I sell it! Liquid yellow is the colour to have for sure. I'm not fussed with secondhand as long as it's got a service history. Mine is running now as well as when I bought it, and with new Pilot Super Sports just fitted is a cornering rocket ship.

I wish you every success - very nice car, and sounds like you purchased well.  

Many years (and about 70 cars and 20 motorcycles) ago, I bought an old (even then) Toyota Crown as a second car to be the daily commuter vehicle to and from work.  It was two-tone (gumby green and rust), had no aircon or power steering and what oil didn't leak out of the engine was deposited into the atmosphere via the exhaust (which had extra "sports" holes in it for sound effect - pretty sure that's why they were there... or maybe it was just rusty too :roll: ).  I used to recycle the oil from the good car into this as the oil change process.  When the Crown ran low on oil, it was time to change the oil on the good car...  

I bought it for $750 with a year's rego on it, did the dodgy RWC through a mate to be able to get it into my name (you could do that back then...) and drove it for a very busy year where I did 55,000km for travel to and from work, as well as for site inspections and travel for work.  At the end of the year, with no rego left I advertised it for sale having pocketed travel reimbursement for much of the 55,000km from my employer at the time, and looking to buy another vehicle that I might actually like to drive.  I sold the Crown a couple of weeks later for $800.

Last time I ever made money on a car...   :D

• Like 2

I wish you every success - very nice car, and sounds like you purchased well.  

Many years (and about 70 cars and 20 motorcycles) ago, I bought an old (even then) Toyota Crown as a second car to be the daily commuter vehicle to and from work.  It was two-tone (gumby green and rust), had no aircon or power steering and what oil didn't leak out of the engine was deposited into the atmosphere via the exhaust (which had extra "sports" holes in it for sound effect - pretty sure that's why they were there... or maybe it was just rusty too :roll: ).  I used to recycle the oil from the good car into this as the oil change process.  When the Crown ran low on oil, it was time to change the oil on the good car...  

I bought it for $750 with a year's rego on it, did the dodgy RWC through a mate to be able to get it into my name (you could do that back then...) and drove it for a very busy year where I did 55,000km for travel to and from work, as well as for site inspections and travel for work.  At the end of the year, with no rego left I advertised it for sale having pocketed travel reimbursement for much of the 55,000km from my employer at the time, and looking to buy another vehicle that I might actually like to drive.  I sold the Crown a couple of weeks later for $800.

Last time I ever made money on a car...   :D

sounds like a miracle!!!!!!

just get the brand new cup premium, heard that price can be dropped from 48990 to 42990 as brand new by negotiation, duno if it's true. lol

A lot of car for $42990!! Bargain.... Not much option to negotiate on the "R" as the dealers know what they have and how much those silly 50 of us are happy to pay for fewer seats, more nois, less weight etc.... :D

In the car world paying more for less is the new black.... Or so it seems.

Anyway I am happy. Everyone who claims any RS as their own will be happy I reckon!!!

Yes its true I go my new rs 265 cup premium  for 43,000 drive away nsw rego with hard bargaining

Well done! Sounds like a really good deal on an amzing car. Many smiles for many miles...

Hey Guys ! 

Thanks so much for the input.    I really do appreciate it and look forward to being a part of the community.   

I agree the new RS would be awesome.   I find it super hard to deal with that level of depreciation though.  Especially as I am pretty up in the air re the next few years working, being abroad etc.    

SO i just picked up a 2013 cup+ from a guy in melbourbe.   http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Renault-Megane-2013/SSE-AD-3275672/?Cr=1

Got a decent deal.   I'm down there for work next Friday so will pick it up then.    I think I'll go work it around the great ocean road before driving back to Sydney.   

Take it easy 

Nice pick up right there, well done.

Steer clear of the great ocean road though. Sure it's a good road but the traffic will ruin it. Instead on you way home go via towns such as Seville, Warburton, Reefton Spur and Marysville. Then Alexandra, and Benalla. Just google map it in that order. You will never forget that trip home, I promise.

Hey Guys ! 

Thanks so much for the input.    I really do appreciate it and look forward to being a part of the community.   

I agree the new RS would be awesome.   I find it super hard to deal with that level of depreciation though.  Especially as I am pretty up in the air re the next few years working, being abroad etc.    

SO i just picked up a 2013 cup+ from a guy in melbourbe.   http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Renault-Megane-2013/SSE-AD-3275672/?Cr=1

Got a decent deal.   I'm down there for work next Friday so will pick it up then.    I think I'll go work it around the great ocean road before driving back to Sydney.   

Take it easy

Well done that is one amazing car, and looks to be very decent price for so much car!! Enjoy the journey home. Plus one on the suggested route via Reefton Spur journey home. Are you deregistering it for Nsw rego? If so you can get a Vicroads permit to drive it home over 7 days with no plates. they are more streamlined with no plates.... Enjoy :)

Cool, Apple 337 thanks so much for the tips. 

I spoke to my friend yesterday and he said the exact same thing about the great ocean road which was disheartening.   Basically you always end up stuck behind a caravan.   

Though I'll definitely check those roads out and that'll make for an awesome trip back.    

Super excited to pick the car up.   Being the cup+ they sent me some photo's of the interior with the leather and "moon roof"   looks so beautiful.    

A roaring beautiful little black car.   So excited 

Edited by TyroneSvendsen

No worries. If you take that route, can you give us a road report please? I'd love to hear what you think of that drive.

Part of that road between Reefton and Marysville (including the Lake Mountain road) is used for the Australian Tarmac Rally.

No worries. If you take that route, can you give us a road report please? I'd love to hear what you think of that drive.

Part of that road between Reefton and Marysville (including the Lake Mountain road) is used for the Australian Tarmac Rally.

Yes and some photos please if you get the chance.  The perfect car + perfect road = perfect photo op...  :D

Well done that is one amazing car, and looks to be very decent price for so much car!! Enjoy the journey home. Plus one on the suggested route via Reefton Spur journey home. Are you deregistering it for Nsw rego? If so you can get a Vicroads permit to drive it home over 7 days with no plates. they are more streamlined with no plates.... Enjoy :)

Hey Man,

Just wondering, do you have any experience with that?   Basically I've got everything ready to go and that's the last small hurdle before sending cash and flying down.    VIC roads say deregister it, though my finance guy says you can just transfer and drive it back and do it out of state.    That way you claim the rego back from vic as well.  

All good if not.  I'll work it out,  It's just one last annoyance. 

Talk soon 

Hey Man,

Just wondering, do you have any experience with that?   Basically I've got everything ready to go and that's the last small hurdle before sending cash and flying down.    VIC roads say deregister it, though my finance guy says you can just transfer and drive it back and do it out of state.    That way you claim the rego back from vic as well.  

Talk soon 

Yes I do.  Bought a vehicle a couple of years back in Werribee, and drove to Qld on Vic Roads permit.  Costs about $75 or something, gives a week to drive back to state of origin.  Can drive on no plates, with the paperwork taped to windscreen in case Mr Plod takes offence.  I even bought a camper trailer as well, and drove both back.

Is a great way to not have to waste time and $$ on state-to-state registration etc...

Amamzing how much more relaxed the drive is not worrying about getting booked for 2km/hr about the limit by the overhead cameras that Victoria has on pretty much every bridge over the highways....

Hey Man,

Talk soon 

Post script - the dealer ought to be able to arrange it all for you, so you can grab the keys and go.  It's what I did...  I flew to Melbourne, hired a car to Warrnambool (sorry said Werribee in above post but was Warrnambool) and drove from there to Qld with no plates and the Vic Roads permit taped to my windscreen, that had been arranged by the dealer.

Even sweeter was it meant the first time the vehicle was registered, it was a Qld registration for me.  Also saves the stamp duty (and associated LCT) because all that was excluded from the price.  Saving in LCT etc.. paid for the Vic Roads permit!

Hmm, interesting. I bought a car in Tassie. The dealer transfered ownership to me, I drove to Vic under Tassie plates, took it to Vicroads, took off plates and got new Vic rego. Had to pay stamp duty of 4%.

They said it has to be done that way which I believe is correct.

Either way, they get you down here for the 4% because as soon as you take it to Vicroads they have got you!

I purchased a car from Melbourne, it got trucked up on a permit also. very easy for them to organise. I had planned on drivingmy trade in down to them and driving my new car back on a permit but i didnt have enough time off work to do so. but once it got here I was able to go and get the car blue slipped and registered without any dramas from the old bill. 

That is a very nice example!!! 

Hmm, interesting. I bought a car in Tassie. The dealer transfered ownership to me, I drove to Vic under Tassie plates, took it to Vicroads, took off plates and got new Vic rego. Had to pay stamp duty of 4%.

They said it has to be done that way which I believe is correct.

Either way, they get you down here for the 4% because as soon as you take it to Vicroads they have got you!

Yep, gotta do it first up before it is registered anywhere else or you are slugged the second stamp duty when you bring it home.  It can be done, as I have done it.

Yep, gotta do it first up before it is registered anywhere else or you are slugged the second stamp duty when you bring it home.  It can be done, as I have done it.

Ahhhh ok so I just worked it out.   When you're talking about the second stamp duty, you're talking about paying it initially on a 'drive away' deal right ? 

So I finally got a lady at vics roads who knew what was going on.   Basically there's two options 

1. Unregister and Permit

2.  If it's a private sale and the seller's happy for you to drive away with the plates, then you can just grab a receipt and change of rego form and just process it all in your own state authority.

The guy I'm buying off is happy for me to just transfer and take his plates.    So sounds like an easy option. 

Then straight off to reefton spur etc haha

The leather looks soooo nice. 

post-20737-0-02387200-1430978308_thumb.jpg

Ahhhh ok so I just worked it out.   When you're talking about the second stamp duty, you're talking about paying it initially on a 'drive away' deal right ? 

So I finally got a lady at vics roads who knew what was going on.   Basically there's two options 

1. Unregister and Permit

2.  If it's a private sale and the seller's happy for you to drive away with the plates, then you can just grab a receipt and change of rego form and just process it all in your own state authority.

The guy I'm buying off is happy for me to just transfer and take his plates.    So sounds like an easy option. 

Then straight off to reefton spur etc haha

The leather looks soooo nice. 

If you buy it with plates and current rego, you might be able to get the unused portion of the rego refunded when you hand the plates in.

Check to see if this is right as I'm not sure,

If you buy it with plates and current rego, you might be able to get the unused portion of the rego refunded when you hand the plates in.

That's correct.   Just pay the seller for the car making sure you take his Vic. rego papers with you transferred to you as the new owner, leave the Vic. plates on & when you get home take the plates to a NSW registry office and they will charge you the NSW rego fee plus the 3% stamp duty. You will also need to get a NSW greenslip for the car before going to get it re-registered.

They will also advise you about getting back the balance of the Vic. rego & greenslip.if you ask them

Suggest you don't fool about removing Vic. plates in Vic. &  fooling around with driving permits....makes it too complicated....

• Like 1

Only if you transfer ownership in Victoria (and will pay stamp duty) then will pay stamp duty again when registering it in NSW.  I imagine stamp duty will far exceed the balance of rego, which will go back to the current owner.  You may be able to do a deal for him to return that, if he is honest.  A risk there of course, but not sheep stations compared with the stamp duty, which is a hit that will come back in NSW whether paid in Vic.  Choices are:

1.  Change ownership in Victoria, pay stamp duty in Vic, and get refund of rego to you automatically when cancelling the Vic Rego.  Will pay stamps also in NSW - have to weigh up value of stamp duty versus the refund of rego.  No brainer I think.

2.  Drive away straight away on existing plates, change ownership etc.. in NSW when you get home, and pay only one stamp duty in NSW.  Balance of rego back to current owner unless you can do a deal.

3.  Deregister in Vic (might be able to do that with owner present and get refund immediately (don't know Vic process), surrender plates right there, then drive home on Vic Roads permit ($75 cost or so, but no plates = no speed cameras), then as for (2) above.  Only NSW stamp duty etc...

Good luck with your decision but I imagine stamp duty is the biggest cost to avoid paying twice.  My two cents.  

Leather looks VERY good.  well done  :D

• Like 1

Only if you transfer ownership in Victoria (and will pay stamp duty) then will pay stamp duty again when registering it in NSW.  I imagine stamp duty will far exceed the balance of rego, which will go back to the current owner.  You may be able to do a deal for him to return that, if he is honest.  A risk there of course, but not sheep stations compared with the stamp duty, which is a hit that will come back in NSW whether paid in Vic.  Choices are:

1.  Change ownership in Victoria, pay stamp duty in Vic, and get refund of rego to you automatically when cancelling the Vic Rego.  Will pay stamps also in NSW - have to weigh up value of stamp duty versus the refund of rego.  No brainer I think.

2.  Drive away straight away on existing plates, change ownership etc.. in NSW when you get home, and pay only one stamp duty in NSW.  Balance of rego back to current owner unless you can do a deal.

3.  Deregister in Vic (might be able to do that with owner present and get refund immediately (don't know Vic process), surrender plates right there, then drive home on Vic Roads permit ($75 cost or so, but no plates = no speed cameras), then as for (2) above.  Only NSW stamp duty etc...

Good luck with your decision but I imagine stamp duty is the biggest cost to avoid paying twice.  My two cents.  

Leather looks VERY good.  well done  :D

All correct 152 and good advice except for point 2.

I bought a car in Vic and brought it home to Tas with its existing plates. I then took the notice of disposal that the seller gave me, re-registered the car here and surrendered the Vic plates. I paid stamp duty once (here in Tas) and the balance of the Vic. reg and 3rd party was refunded to me.

I also followed a similar procedure when I bought my RS in Sydney and brought it home. The only real difference was that the reg and 3rd party were separated in NSW - ie I had to provide evidence of the re-registration directly to the NSW insurers to get a refund of 3rd party insurance.

I bought a car in Vic and brought it home to Tas with its existing plates. I then took the notice of disposal that the seller gave me, re-registered the car here and surrendered the Vic plates. I paid stamp duty once (here in Tas) and the balance of the Vic. reg and 3rd party was refunded to me.

I also followed a similar procedure when I bought my RS in Sydney and brought it home. The only real difference was that the reg and 3rd party were separated in NSW - ie I had to provide evidence of the re-registration directly to the NSW insurers to get a refund of 3rd party insurance.

That's exactly right and what should happen in the case of this buyer bringing the car from Melbourne to Sydney.

It's a very straight forward exercise as long as you have the Vic. plates, rego transfer or notice of disposal & new NSW green slip to present to the Rego office in Sydney they will take you through the procedure.

I sold a car recently to a guy who drove it from NSW to his home in QLD. & the same procedure took place & he even contacted me later to advise that everything went smoothly and he got a refund of the balance of the NSW rego and third party greenslip without any dramas.

Yeah No 152, Chris, Michael all exactly right.   I'll confirm once it's all done as well.    

It's just bs, because if you call vic roads, they only advise you to deregister and permit.    I assume it's their agenda to make the transfer of existing rego straight back to the owner which is easier for them.   Plus they get to poke you for another 75 for the permit.  

Great advice though guys.    No 152 is exactly right with the permit though, no plates,  for a great road trip it's still worth looking into to avoid the speed traps.  haha 

Oh and I changed my username.  I started the thread as TyroneSvendsen.   I'll post pictures and hopefully rd report in and around reefton spur 

Yeah No 152, Chris, Michael all exactly right.   I'll confirm once it's all done as well.    

It's just bs, because if you call vic roads, they only advise you to deregister and permit.    I assume it's their agenda to make the transfer of existing rego straight back to the owner which is easier for them.   Plus they get to poke you for another 75 for the permit.  

Great advice though guys.    No 152 is exactly right with the permit though, no plates,  for a great road trip it's still worth looking into to avoid the speed traps.  haha 

Oh and I changed my username.  I started the thread as TyroneSvendsen.   I'll post pictures and hopefully rd report in and around reefton spur 

Have a great trip, and enjoy  :D

Thanks Michael, good to know.  Funny how they are all a little different.  When I bought a new vehicle and used camper trailer in Victoria, did the whole Vic Roads thing, no issue with the new vehicle or the camper, except balance of rego on the camper (which was two fifths of bugger all anyway) went back to the Victorian original owner.

Slightly different process between Tassie and Qld, but there you have it.

Important thing is for emuPirate to get his new car and blast his way home via some awesome roads,  And for others reading this in future to get a few tips I guess. :DChalk one up for collective wisdom...

Hi EmuPirate,

Did you end up taking delivery of the new car?