new, looking for 172/182/cup

minidriver

Hi All,

New here, been reading a lot through the forums, such a great resource you have here!

I'm currently restoring a 1971 Morris Mini, but looking for some fun as it's taking longer than expected to complete! Something a little more refined than a mini would be nice for daily duties also. I'm not afraid of getting my hands dirty and fixing things myself.

Been looking at cars with similar characteristics to minis. ie small, light, minimal, and fun! So far I've eliminated peugeots (I used to own a 505), wrxs (that stigmata), mx5s (will need to drag some kids around occasionally!) as possible candidates. And I've ended up here, and have my heart set on a Clio RS of some description. Quite keen on a meg II 225 if I can find one cheap enough.

SO yeh, looking for a Clio RS, not really fussed which of the models I end up with so long as it is as reliable as can be, well looked after with good service history, and everything works (ie no dash lights alarming)!

Tim.

Hi Tim, Welcome to the forum and good luck.

I'm an ex Novocastrian Mini Cooper S driver as well.

Check out my old car at the members rides discussion. :)

nice how do you find the 2005 Cooper S compared to the Clio? I owned a 2001 Cooper (NA) when they first came out - they have held their prices much better than the Clios, otherwise I'd be looking at R53 S's also.

I had all sorts of troubles with the Cooper, engine and 'box replaced under warranty.

I found the MCS and the RS200 Cup Trophee to be ideally matched.

The mini had work done though and was much stronger down low.

The 200 has much more space and handles better. The NA engine in the 200 is fantastic above 4000 :hyper:

My only probs with the MINI were the timing belt tensioner, engine mount and steering pump over my 3 years of ownership. Oh... and a blowout on the runflat right rear that threw me into a 180 spin on the Blue Mountains hwy.

Welcome Tim!

Go for a 172/182. The Meganes are awesome but if you're after lightweight fun, you can't beat a Clio II!

yep definitely looking for a Clio now, more to choose from and realistically I would like to spend less than 7k as this is a second/weekend car and there's not much point spending more $$$ based on how much it will be used..

I live about 1km from work, so it wont get used a great deal! So long as it can pick the kids up from school every now and then its all I need.

Does anyone know of this car, its a fair drive away, but looks good, good kms, not a great deal of info though!

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/deta ... =1&sdmvc=1

Good choice in cars to look at.

I'm in newcastle as well and bought my 182 cup last year as a second car that would be a bit more fun to drive than the hyundai getz i was looking at.

I originally looked at a local 172, but decided on the 182 for a little bit more money and a trip to sydney. The cruise control was something i wanted as well due to working in gosford.

I have the kids in the car for local trips without any problems. Kids are 5 and 7 and both were in booster seats until recently, now only one booster. I even had 2 kids and the wife in the car with the golden retriever in the boot (no parcel shelf) one day.

Good luck with the search

yep definitely looking for a Clio now, more to choose from and realistically I would like to spend less than 7k as this is a second/weekend car and there's not much point spending more $$$ based on how much it will be used..

I live about 1km from work, so it wont get used a great deal! So long as it can pick the kids up from school every now and then its all I need.

Does anyone know of this car, its a fair drive away, but looks good, good kms, not a great deal of info though!

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/deta ... =1&sdmvc=1

A full service history is fairly important in a Clio 2. Belts should probably have been done twice by now, if not factor in another 1200 for that. It's critical that this gets done as otherwise you could end up with a 3-4k bill

Before going to see it I would question the current owner about the above. If the belts haven't been done then it's not as cheap as it looks :wink:

Yep I've made myself familiar with whats required so far as maintenance goes, thanks to the forums!

I can't post a WTB yet, not enough posts/time, but if anyone reads this who has a 172 in good pretty standard condition for around 5k in Sydney/Newcastle please let me know!

Preferably ~150,000km, service history and thats about it really to start with! Not fussed by colour.

Tim.

Hey I have a mini for small raw noisy chuckability! Even if it is in a million pieces at the moment! If I bought a Clio, the mini would never get put back together!

And the Megane is a Cup. That counts for something.. doesn't it... doesn't it......?

:P

And well, the Megane was the same price as a good 172 Clio, who could go past that? I've taken a bit of a gamble with it, but you have to take risks every now and then in life.

Tim.