Just bought a 182 Cup

navsin

Fastchip 98 ron map makes the most difference. Other two will give you nice noises though.

Fastchip 98 ron map makes the most difference. Other two will give you nice noises though.

thanks tommo lol so wat kind of flashes r available? i always see "RS tuner" around..

also timing belts due only cause of the 4yr mark so anything else u guys recommend doing at the same time? cams? haha

Congrats and welcome mate.

I'd stay away from cams unless you have deep pockets.

Get to the know the car first, get some decent cars and then decide where you think it needs improving - it might be in power, handling, noise etc or a combination.

Have a look at a few build threads in the Members Rides section as there's a shedload of information out there.

Enjoy 8)

• 3 weeks later...

Well first things first its due for timing belt soon so hence why i was thinking of chucking in some cams while i was at it haha.. wat other costs would be involved with cams besides getting a tune to suit?

if i avoid cams. wat are the basic "first stage" power mods? just intake and tune?

and with exhaust where are the most gains made from? catback? de-cat? full system?

thanks for the advice so far guys. iv come out of 500hp evo hence my quest for a little more grunt even tho its my daily haha

CheerS!

Avoid cams. Seriously not worth the grief that I have witnessed a couple of members having experienced.

I can understand how you would miss huge HP like that, but Clios aren't about grunt. They are more about carving up the twisties at a great rate of knots, with momentum and torque.

My advice would be to learn to love and appreciate the car's natural set up for a few months before you go looking at go-faster bits. Unlike a Japanese car that benefits greatly from the slightest of aftermarket parts, most find that the relatively small selection of aftermarket parts for these offer only incremental gains (apart from the benefits of the RS-Tuner remap).

Anyways, welcome aboard :)

Thanks for all the replies guys! :) Much appreciated.

So I guess I'll leave cams off the list then haha. But wat are the basic "first stage" power mods? just intake and tune?

or exhaust as well?

and with changing the exhaust where are the most gains made from? catback? de-cat? full system?

First on my list is full fluids/service/timing belt and upgrade sound system as its horrible.

Whats the go with changing the headunit and stock speakers out?

The clio 182 is normally aspirated ie not super- or turbo-charged, and unlike turbo cars there is no easy or cheap way to unleash extra horses by doing a re-map, exhaust or air intake. Renault pretty much got all the power out of the engine, and many simple mods such as pod induction kits actually reduce low and mid range torque. After all to get from 172 to 182 renault had to do a lot of intake and exhaust mods. To get to 197 and 200 they had to improve the VVT of the engine. The new clio is turbo you might be better of waiting for one of these. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The fastchip 98 RON map wont increase peak power considerably. But it will give you a nice improvement in the midrange; so actual acceleration is a fair bit improved.

Weakness in the renault design in the intake is the intake manifold itself. Playing with filters and intakes is pissing in the wind really. There really isn't much to gain in the exhaust either; maybe a little with the giant rear mufflers. Changing the cat won't improve much, aside from removing it completely.

Renault got another 10 bhp above the 172 so their efforts did yield results, but they were getting into diminishing returns for the effort. Hence the major mods to the 197 engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You do get more power from most intake conversions, as in: engine chuggs better at wide open throttle and maximum revs. Only problem is the the torque at low- and mid-range revs is often lower, and it's this torque range that makes the car feel responsive at normal driving conditions as opposed to track.

It's all compromise.

haha so strange. Before I bought my clio, I drove my friends, which by the sounds of things had something done to the exhaust (as it was a little bit louder over factory), and also had the ktec intake. My friend is uncertain as to whether his has a tune on it, but after driving it I loved it. Power delivery was great all through the revs and the cross over up top felt much stronger than my factory car does..

If it did have a tune would this make sense? I just want my car to feel the same lol